ED road Race? (Lounged)

evelknievel

aw, sorry grons, surfbobby, sean and everyone who I promised last night that I'd turn up to this, have realised in my sobered up state that I will write off my whole afternoon in a drunken haze if I do this, and gotta do some work (I know, on a saturday, oi-vey).

But in my defense, I only heard about it for the first time and agreed to it in an extremely drunken state last night, so can't be held responsible for my empty promises (or trash talking 'yeah, I'm not only gonna do it, I'm gonna win it!')

forgive me. (I might look out of my window at five past one to see you all hot footing it past though! ;-))

Well, for those of you who didn't make it you missed a blinding event!

I guess there were about 15 runners and all was starting well until the group photo, which saw Mr MacGabhann, take a tumble while trying to climb on a table. Interviewed later he replied "I just really wanted to get into the shot, in case it was a photo finish...."

Once under starters orders the race in earnest began, with some seriously quick supping taking place. For many Guinness seemed to be the pint of choice, while a vodka chaser seemed to be popular, with one competitor adding in some lemonade and lime, just to make sure they enjoyed the experience as much as possible.

Speaking as a competitor it al looked well with a "second out the door" putting me in good stad for the rest of the race. After about 1/4 of a mile I caught my man ahead, and was waiting for the inevitable, Paul (From my running club) to come past me, and sure enough he did, about 1/2 mile into the run. Though I kept him in my sights i knew to catch him was beyond me, so wound back my stride as there was no one visible over my shoulder.

Once at the Clockhouse, where we were greeted by masses of adoring fans, and the organising team, it was a race to finish my pint ahead of Paul. I quick glance over the rim revealed he was faltering with his pint, so I went for it in a big way, but gagged half way through. Paul finished his pint about 2 seconds ahead of me, but SHOCK HORROR!!! His whiskey had not yet been served. Deciding that it would be very unsporting to beat a chap due to a slight technical issue, I offered him my rum.

One event where it's not at all about the winning, (But one might as well try!) but about the taking part.

I was proud to be part of an event steeped in such history and tradition.

Cheers to the organisers, a top notch event, and well done to Floating Onion for his minor indiscretion at the end... ;-)

Eric

Franki - no need to apologise - the "cold light of day" is a much underrated phenomenon

As for the event, LostThePlot has described it so well I can only echo what he says. I can honestly say I didn't do as badly as I feared but much worse than I am capable. I had no idea that alcohol consumed so quickly would, if the consumer runs immediately, never actually reach the stomach.

My hats of to the front runners, who not only ran a mans race but actually competed to the bitter end. Limping in at # 12 or whatever it was I felt no compunction, desire or obligation to down my pint/shot combo. And feel all the better for it

I have just returned from a quick visit to Val's the grocer for some essentials, and as I passed I looked down Barry Rd and thought to myself "did that really happen?"

Take a bow Boab and surfbobby for organising, the (and there is no other way to describe them) ladies for organising stage 2 drinks and to everyone else for, like, "being there" maaan

Top notch afternoon. Great fun although I think I'm still suffering from it!

As an annual event it has great promise - although I think we all agreed to try and remove any element of skill or fitness from next year's in the spirit of amateur competition.

Cheers for organising it guys (and thanks to the gals for sorting out the logistics).

Anyone for a game of Ring, Bang, Scoosh(sp)?

It was a great idea and a great afternoon. Thanks everyone.

Glad to see so many people made it to Bar Story. I would have come but at around 4pm I suddenly and inexplicably lost the power of intelligible speech and all sense of balance. Fair put the wind up me it did and I had to go home to a comforting Pizza and warm bed.

It has subsequently been suggested that the bed is perhaps not the best place to leave uneaten pizza.

Hello all, inaugural victor here! I've searched you out to thank you for such an enjoyable event and day. I was also looking for clues as to what happened to me after the point of my memory failing. The lack of any evidence is probably a good thing. Having demonstrated on Saturday just how gullible I can be, I know to be sceptical of anything posted after this message.

Paul

Paul - did your memory fail before or after The Bald Eagle stole your bike and you were convinced it was a goner?

We satyed in Bar Story for a good while (rest of the day) and we discussed at length whether humans were borth good or bad, employing some quite colourful language at points to get our point across. Not sure what time you left at but it was after a jolly decent session.

How's the planning coming on for next year?

Yes, the 'loss' of my bike - proof of my extreme gullibility.

Things get patchy not long after the bottom fell from my glass (anyone not there won't realise just how literal that is). Somehow I got myself and my bike home safely. I know that I didn't have too much money on me, so I only need to brave checking my debit card account.

Events are still too close - and painful - to put my mind to next year's. I remember that we had a suggestion to give more incentive for all contestants to down the second pint, although I can't remember what it was. I guess potentially we could set people off at minute intervals so that it's not already won as people arrive for their second. It would certainly make for a messier finish!

surfbobby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Big thanks to all those who took part, turned up

> and cheered on, esp the Backroom Support Staff (oh

> and to Hibbs for a lift up the road when the legs

> could take no more)

>

You're more than welcome, I'm sure the older gentleman enjoyed our 'in car' conversation...;-)

Ah so you are calling us idiots - just checking. Charmed. Nice to meet you. Welcome aboard etc. Interesting way to introduce yourself....

It was very silly indeed, and almost anything else I did that day was more useful - but it was a LOT of fun... And some of us (although not me) were barely in our 20s.. so.. easy with the generalisations

Did we interrupt your lunch or something?

Rosscoe, for someone with so many 'better' things to do with your time, I'm amazed you bothered to scroll to page 4 of this string just to insult a bunch of strangers. Suggest you go for a run yourself, a long one perhaps, off a short pier.