My Lidl Pony

RosieH

Twenty years plus ago, there was a butcher shop somewhere near the small charity shop in Lordship Lane.

My wife bought some beef mince and when she got it home found that some of it had FUR on it! She took it back and the butcher refused to do anything about it.

I called the council who, really quickly, bought their own mince, had it analysed and found it was rabbit and beef mixture

Butcher was prosecuted but I can't remember the outcome.

Yes - I geddit, the fuss is because they claimed to be all beef and pork is unclean etc. but unless they claimed to be halal burgers I shouldn't think Dalepack need to beef up their security just yet (unintended).

But why not make a 'meat' burger if you're going to sell them for a few pence each? - as long as it's all legal flesh (and listed in the ingredients) where's the harm? We do it with fishcakes. And so what if it's mechanically recovered? Isn't that just making sure one uses as much of an animal as possible? what about 'meat' pies? Do we assume they are all beef? If they contained horse or rabbit or pork would that be wrong?

just askin.

You probably don't buy 8 for a quid though SJ.

I think the humour is probably because most people know that you don't ask too many questions at that price point.

I don't really see the religious guys getting heated up either, mainly because they all like a kickabout on a Sunday too. Religious adherence is selective.

There's a certain amount of trust that this kind of thing gets exposed because the checks are good. This is a demonstration that the system works.

And, waddayaknow, it's the Irish too ;)

Cheap jibe, I know.

Oh Strafer, you're such a killjoy. Puns are never not funny.

And Otta, Lidl was indeed one of the supermarkets with the dodgy horseflesh.

But I remain surprised that no one's bothered about the pigness. Fundamentalists at least - come on, there's gotta be an infidel plot in here somewhere...

For me its just another wake up call as to where some crap food actually comes from. Some (who enjoy mechanically recovered flavoured meats) will be like "meh its just food". Anyone who cares will avoid anyway.

The source is looking more like a meat producer on the continent and that got me thinking about the numbers. Meat sludge from France is shipped to Ireland (by lorry), rusk /spice and crap are added, then they are shipped back to the UK by lorry frozen. And 8 burgers are sold for ?1.

It's almost evil.

Edit: Taking out all that overhead, I reckon each burger has meat with a value of 2 to 4 pence.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For me its just another wake up call as to where

> some crap food actually comes from. Some (who

> enjoy mechanically recovered flavoured meats) will

> be like "meh its just food". Anyone who cares will

> avoid anyway.

>

> The source is looking more like a meat producer on

> the continent and that got me thinking about the

> numbers. Meat sludge from France is shipped to

> Ireland (by lorry), rusk /spice and crap are

> added, then they are shipped back to the UK by

> lorry frozen. And 8 burgers are sold for ?1.

>

> It's almost evil.

>

> Edit: Taking out all that overhead, I reckon each

> burger has meat with a value of 2 to 4 pence.

the scotch seem to like this kind oif thing after a bevvy

http://23x.net/5/what-is-a-munchy-box.html

I can imagine how good this tastes at 3AM when you are blootered

woodrot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> everytthing that is left after the steaks n ting

> have been removed. A high pressure jet is often

> used to blast everything else off the bones - this

> sludge is sucked up, becomes the first stage of

> MRM & ground up to a meaty mulch

>

> nom nom nom

Of course nose-to-tail eating where every last piece of the animal is used is deemed oh-kay, as long as it's not mechanically recovered unidentified sludge.