Local Characters - guy with hat

The guy from Terrys DIY is a genius. I'd like to buy him a pint. I genuinely like him for sporting such a glossy sprayed "darts" bouffant and not giving a toss what anyone - you me or anyone on this forum thinks. He is his own man and I very much salute and like him for it. Individuality.

Anyone wondering who the slim white guy is in the combat jacket and jeans, walking down Lordship Lane for a William Rose steak and and looking like every other middle class ED 30-something man yet to breed .....well thats me. I ENVY that hair.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bagpuss78 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > i enjoyed many a drink or two with him after i

> had finished my shift.

>

> Well George would usually enjoy his regular 16 to

> your 2 ;-)

yes, indeed!

I've had a few pints with Hair and he's a nice geezer... knows the area well and is somewhat of a local historian. His real name's Malcolm and if you see him out and about he's always up for a chat... though I haven't yet had the bottle to ask him about his barnet.

Apologies BTW, the guy that said Terry's has closed down was right... it's got a different name now (which I've already forgotten). Should just be called Hair's.

Many of the people you mention probably are care in the community cases (with the exception of DIY hair man) and the reason for the fact there may be many in the area is twofold. One reason is the proximity to the Maudsley hospital and the other is the fact that not so long ago East Dulwich was a very working class area and many of these people would have been housed in the many council properties in the area. Despite the yummy mummys,posh Delis and Gaurdian readers who seem to have taken over the area there is still a dark undercurrent in East Dulwich.

Most of them are harmless. Just because they may live "the many council properties", it does not mean they bring a "dark undercurrent" to the area.

I consider myself a "local character" but I don't live in one of "the many council properties", nor do I bring a "dark undercurrent" to the area.

Apologies, I should have stated the many council properties that USED to be in the area.Of course these days the council properties are probably few and far between. Sir,you may well be a local character,but I think a distinction needs to be made between 'local characters' and the raving lunatics that seem to have been described in this thread.

rifleman harris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's another couple of local celebs; two women,

> short stocky could be sisters who usually get

> about down LL. One wears her hood up and wearing

> large earphones. They are the shouty "Who the f***

> are you looking at?" type. Ive stared danger in

> the eye many a time and tweaked the nose of peril,

> but i would not like to meet these two on a dark

> night. Or a light night for that matter. Anybody

> know who they could be?

They live in Whateley Road, oppos the police station. They're completely f*cked up and very aggressive. Walk past their flat and you'll cop an earful as they hang out of their lounge window.

Kellyscartoons

I still don't believe (council houses + maudsley) = dark undercurrent. It probably gets ED snobs jumping up and down mind.

Dark undercurrent is what I would call the nutter who kept a skull on his window ledge for 5 years on Melbourne Grove.

BTW, apologies accepted.

Regards

>>Apologies, I should have stated the many council properties that USED to be in the area.Of course these days the >>council properties are probably few and far between<<

I suspect there may be rather more than you think, epecially if you included Right To Buy leaseholds, which are still technically council properties. and are dotted all over SE22, and not just in purpose-built flat blocks either!

Kellyscartoons may mental illness never visit you or yours or maybe it should in order to do a little something for your terrible snobbish attitude. Yes East Dulwich is awash with council tennants albeit in many of those nice Victorian conversions and there is every chance that you are no further than a door away from one of these so called nutters but haven't noticed as they appear quiet normal so be scared very scared.