Re: LaLa Land ED Film Club: A social meetup for locals: Sat 14th Jan 2017

It's going to be a great one on Saturday!

Captain Philips, 20:45, Peckham Plex.

It has superb reviews and has scored 94% on rotten tomatoes.

Let's meet at The Rye pub at 19:30. I'll bring a Film Club sign.

We'll leave the pub at around 20:20 to walk to the cinema. Totally up to you if you'd like to buy your tickets in advance or not.

Afterwards we could go back to The Rye, or head down to Lordship Lane for ED forum drinks 'meet new people in east Dulwich'. We can be spontaneous and decide on the night!

Message me with any questions and looking forward to seeing you again or meeting you!

Louisa x

EDFilmClub Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's going to be a great one on Saturday!

> Captain Philips, 20:45, Peckham Plex.

> It has superb reviews and has scored 94% on rotten

> tomatoes.

>

> Let's meet at The Rye pub at 19:30. I'll bring a

> Film Club sign.

> We'll leave the pub at around 20:20 to walk to the

> cinema. Totally up to you if you'd like to buy

> your tickets in advance or not.

> Afterwards we could go back to The Rye, or head

> down to Lordship Lane for ED forum drinks 'meet

> new people in east Dulwich'. We can be spontaneous

> and decide on the night!

>

> Message me with any questions and looking forward

> to seeing you again or meeting you!

>

> Louisa x

Hi Louisa,

I am new here.

Could I join you even if I do not live in East Dulwich?

Thank you

Josephine

It's going to be a great one on Saturday!

Captain Philips, 20:45, Peckham Plex.

It has superb reviews and has scored 94% on rotten tomatoes.

Let's meet at The Rye pub at 19:30. I'll bring a Film Club sign.

We'll leave the pub at around 20:20 to walk to the cinema. Totally up to you if you'd like to buy your tickets in advance or not.

Afterwards we could go back to The Rye, or head down to Lordship Lane for ED forum drinks 'meet new people in east Dulwich'. We can be spontaneous and decide on the night!

Message me with any questions and looking forward to seeing you again or meeting you!

Louisa x

Went to the Rye at about 20.10 but could not see anyone or any obvious signs re. film club. Pub was not very packed - quite a few people sitting down having food. Did the meeting take place? If it did take place, then next time around can it be a bit more obvious for new members?

AGW3 - I'm so sorry - it did take place and I did have a sign with me propped up on our table saying 'Film Club'. We didn't leave until 20:30. There were quite a few of us by 20:10 so perhaps people were standing around the sign so it wasn't clearly displayed.

Huge apologies for a wasted journey. The bar staff often know where we are so I always rely on them if people are stuck! I'm not aware that we've ever had this problem before, so I will certainly take more care in the future. Thank you for letting me know.

Louisa

Thanks for another fun Film Club night Louisa :)

The film was fantastic - very intense & I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! Great choice!

Good to see everybody & look forward to the next one.

AGW3 - what a shame you didn't see us :(

Louisa does always have a sign.

Charlie

We were there from 19:25 with an A4 sign on the table saying Film Club. I know that some of the bar staff knew we were there, but it seems not all.

I'm so sorry you couldn't see us! This is the first time this has happened so I guess I have been very relaxed about people finding us.....

A huge effort will be made next time to make sure it is clear where we are.

There were some new faces last night so some people managed to find us but obviously not everyone! Really sorry :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just a reminder that film club will be taking place this Saturday eve.

Meet at the Rye pub and walk down to Peckham Plex for a ?5 film, and then back to the pub!

Social, relaxed and friendly - new people very welcome!

I'll put times up once the films are published.

pm me with any questions.

Louisa

Hi Everyone,

Having looked at what the Peckham Plex has to offer and checking out reviews, I've chosen Saving Mr Banks.

See below for blurb. As its a new one I thought it was a good choice as most people won't have seen it yet.

It starts at 20:35 at Peckham Plex.

Lets meet at 19:30 in the Rye pub. I will have my film club clacker board with me so everyone will know who we are. I will leave it visibly displayed on the table!

Lets leave the pub at 20;15 to walk to the Plex. Totally up to you if you wish to buy your ticket in advance or on the night.

Everybody welcome. We are a friendly sociable lot and not massive film geeks - just a bunch of people who enjoy meeting other locals!

Hope to see you there, Louisa

Saving Mr Banks

Running Time: 125mins

Consumer Advice: Contains scenes of emotional upset

Two-time Academy Award-winner Emma Thompson and fellow double Oscar-winner Tom Hanks topline Disney's "Saving Mr. Banks," inspired by the extraordinary, untold backstory of how Disney's classic "Mary Poppins" made it to the screen.

When Walt Disney's daughters begged him to make a movie of their favorite book, P.L. Travers' "Mary Poppins," he made them a promise - one that he didn't realize would take 20 years to keep. In his quest to obtain the rights, Walt comes up against a curmudgeonly, uncompromising writer who has absolutely no intention of letting her beloved magical nanny get mauled by the Hollywood machine. But, as the books stop selling and money grows short, Travers reluctantly agrees to go to Los Angeles to hear Disney's plans for the adaptation. For those two short weeks in 1961, Walt Disney pulls out all the stops. Armed with imaginative storyboards and chirpy songs from the talented Sherman brothers, Walt launches an all-out onslaught on P.L. Travers, but the prickly author doesn't budge. He soon begins to watch helplessly as Travers becomes increasingly immovable and the rights begin to move further away from his grasp. It is only when he reaches into his own childhood that Walt discovers the truth about the ghosts that haunt her, and together they set Mary Poppins free to ultimately make one of the most endearing films in cinematic history.