Damn those Pesky Foxes!

There is a man in Hampstead that shoots them. Not that I am into that sort of thing but it is allowed. Apparently some of the local residents hire him to go out every week and cull a few. It was a very interesting article in one of the London newspapers last year......

Fractionater - Do you still have your Bengal? Just wondered if you let them outside on a regular basis unsupervised?

I've been reading the ED forum from the sidelines (and it's great!) and the fox issue has encouraged me to put finger to keyboard. We had foxes causing lots of damage to our garden some time back, including eating newly planted bulbs! I certainly rued the day I cooed over the fox cubs in next doors garden! We invested in one of those boxes that emits a high pitched sound when it detects movement - intended to scare animal intruders away. It did not appear to have much effect. The only noticeable impact was when the speeding cars took two foxes out on Barry Road (ma and pa?) and the problem went away.

So, fractionater perhaps you could encourage the fox to play on the road (a small patch of newly laid turf curb side?) or stick with the winning formula of pee in a bucket!

C'mon, who needs a bucket? Just wait until it's dark and follow the line of your flowerbeds directly, taking particular care with any vulnerable points in the fence...it's the most environmentally friendly and effective solution (though Mrs M worries that I might be spied by the neighbours one day).

And just to put things in perspective, if you think that's not up to 'Village' standards, I have a friend who lives in an exceedingly posh house on a private road in Blackheath, who dumps directly into his compost bin! Suffice it to say I always politely decline any homegrown veg when dining at his house!!

OK I've now removed the apostrophe!

This weekend I had a good search around my "new" garden and looked for any possible entry points - these have now all been blocked.

I have also removed the "bucket", and am happy to report no more new attacks.

PS - Jamie, I don't have a Bengal anymore, I gave it to my Mum (who doesn't live in London, but out in the countryside) about 2 years ago. I did used to let him out and he was fine, but they are very curious and overly friendly cats - which can get them into trouble. They look very good and distinctive, which means that they could get nicked in the current era of dognapping that we are in. But having said that, I think the thieving Chav's are only after the 'ard looking dogs!

For the first time in ages I heard the sound of foxes mating last night! This all comes rather spookily after my earlier post here. Is it possible that the modern fox family has internet access and read all these posts and wanted to let me know that my garden isn't entirely safe?!

Thanks Fractionater ;-)

Sorry you had to send your lovely Bengal away, but cute looking dogs and cats do get nicked, (thieiving scuzzbuckets) look at all those sad little posters on the trees. Never mind, the country air will be good for his health!

Chartwell, I'm laughing at the image of the foxes online - at the local internet caff on LL maybe?

And Bald Marauder - an even more disturbing image!!! heh heh!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

Hahaha! dulwich mum you cheered me up after a fractious day at work!

Of course you understand it's not the WHOLE lawn I consider to be my personal urinal, I just stand on the lawn while I wee on the borders - much more civilised I'm sure you'll agree.

In all honesty, I haven't actually gone beyond a mental rehearsal of the exercise - yet - though I have peed into a watering can and used that instead (Mrs M wouldn't allow the full & direct approach, although after last night's disturbance she may be relaxing her principles). Mrs M is of course, absolutely horrified that I would a) really stoop to such a base practice and b) discuss it on this forum. We shall see if the situation worsens and forces her to change her mind....

One thing's for sure, it's far too cold to be out there tonight, can or no can!

Perhaps if the Parish Priest reads this he might be inclined to offer some holy water? Would that be more effective than one's own holy water I wonder?

I have just come in and it is very, very cold, too cold one hopes for Mr and Mrs Fox to be waking the neighbourhood with their lovemaking!

When we first moved in there were lots of foxs in and out of the garden digging up plants and leaving poo by the back door.

An old friend from South Africa made a trap thing which, over the course of two weeks caught three foxs and a couple cubs which we buried in a pit at the back of the garden. Since then, no problem with foxs. Also works on cats.:))

Must admit it was'nt very pretty but it was devilishly effective. I'm very squeemish about these things and as soon as the pest stopped comming into the garden I made my better half dismantle and burn the trap (made from wicker, wire and a spring from an old bed). We planted a dogwood bush on the pit which is thriving. That was about 18 months ago. We would'nt know how to remake the trap if we had to but our friend is visiting us this July and am sure he would be happy to make another.

I've just come back from South Africa and there is a lot of 'biltong' out there - dried bits of all sorts of animals, so perhaps it's a good thing that the fox family didn't suffer that fate! Although it is to horrible to think of them being put in a pit! Especially seeing what all that howling and wailing produces.

Dear Hillcourtcouple,

That really is the most dreadful story. I am sorry to say this (but you sound so very proud of yourselves about this), it really is quite shameful. I come out with some hurtful trash on this forum - but I am sure most people by now understand my sense of humour. I do believe you are serious. Please tell me you are joking?