Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been meaning to see Jerusalem - and have just

> found out that 20 tickets a day are kept back at

> box office at ?10 each. Box office opens at 10.00

> but queues start at 6.30!

>

> Going to queue after Easter

Jerusalem is brilliant, well acted and funny/ sad in parts. 3 and quarter hours long but flies by.

• 5 months later...
The Donmar has a production of Lear with Derek Jacobi opening in December. It's been sold out for months and months at the Donmar but they have introduced a handful of performances at the Richmond Theatre for next year. If you want to see it then go to Richmond and have a nice day out (better than queueing at 6am for day seats at the Donmar IMO).

• 2 months later...

For many years Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was one of the books I most wanted to read and never got round to. When I finally read it I was most disappointed; mediocre writing at best; schoolgirl diary at worst. The story endures though.

The National is giving it a twirl early next year and it's a pretty starry cast; Danny Boyle directing with Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller alternating the roles of Victor Frankenstein and the Creature. It could be either grotesquely brilliant or an embarassing fuck-up. I've hedged my bets by buying tickets for a night well into the run because if it's a dog's breakfast I can get a refund.

Here:

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/62808/productions/frankenstein.html

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have tickets for Birdsong on 2 Oct - hoping the

> staged version hits the same spots as the book.

> Will report

It didn't - the stage version was unable to create the incredible erotic charge that the book did. The set and production was a technical triumph but overall not a recommended show.

• 2 weeks later...

Jasmin Vardimon - Justitia

A daring, sharp-edged piece of physical dance theatre, Justitia delves into the depths of our justice system, inviting the audience on an investigative journey as it unravels the multiple truths concealed behind a gripping crime story.

In a film-like replay of events, the audience witnesses the action from different perspectives ? at the crime scene, in the court house, inside an intimate group therapy room ? revealing new realities as a series of secrets unfold. A verdict must be reached ? was it murder, manslaughter or self-defence?

Punctuated with provocative and dark humour, Justitia treats us to Vardimon?s unique brand of highly acute physical theatre, theatrically staged on a large revolving set. Fiercely athletic and intricately detailed, this production delivers a generous mix of energetic dance, a sharp script and an exhilarating soundtrack.

http://www.jasminvardimon.com/justitia.html

Location The White Bear Theatre Tuesday, 11 January 2011 at 19:30 - Sunday, 30 January 2011 at 23:00

Tough Theatre are kicking off 2011 with a revival of a brilliant play from a neglected female playwright.

1949. London. On the eve of her beloved son?s wedding, Alicia Christie inexplicably steals a black chiffon nightdress from a department store. The horrified family bring in a psychologist to assess her.

When it transpires that Alicia sleepwalked into her son?s fianc??s bedroom who was wearing black chiffon the implications are horrific. Her relationship with her son is put under a microscope. Negotiating a feuding family and facing a choice of public shame or prison, Alicia?s world begins to fall apart.

A psychological dissection of a family in crisis and women coping in a man?s world.

Lesley Storm?s stunning 1949 play was a huge success when it opened and was the welcome return to stage for Flora Robson. Tough Theatre?s revival is the first time it has been seen in London for nearly 30 years.

Performance dates: Tuesday 11 - Sunday 30 January 2011.

Tuesday to Saturday at 7.30pm, Sundays at 5.00pm

Tickets: ?13/?10 Concessions

Cast

Amy Barnes

Keith Chanter

Maggie Daniels

Gary Heron

Nick Lawson

Charlotte Powell

Linnie Reedman

Creative

Director: Andy Brunskill

Designer: Mike Lees

Costume Design Assistant: Sarah June Mills

Stage Manager: Andrew Davies

• 2 months later...
Does anyone want to see Frankenstein at the National? It's completely sold out for the run. I accidentally overbooked so I have extra tickets for Saturday 23rd and Saturday 30th April. The NT's website crashed and my bookings appeared not to go through (but they did go through) - so I booked again. Now I have double bookings for both dates. I can return the tickets and get a refund so from my point of view it's no biggie. I'm just asking on here first in case anyone missed out and wants the tickets.

The Hurly Burly Show

Garrick Theatre

Review by Emma Berge (2011)

"All will be revealed..." the posters proudly state. And the Hurly Burly Girlys (sic) certainly don't waste any time doing that. Miss Polly Rae's Hurly Burly Show is a contemporary burlesque revue, combining singing, dancing, lots of props and a surprising amount of costume changes for a show where the girls spend most of the time wearing next to nothing.

It's easy to see the appeal in the seven Hurly Burly Girlys. What's brilliant for men and women alike to see is that, although slender and very toned, the girls aren't stick figures; when they shake their bums, there is wobble. These are real, healthy and beautiful women. As we see by the end of the first number.

For all their curves, the first act is a little flat. Although they're fun and cheeky, the group numbers are somewhat lacking in variety and the choreography is a little unimaginative. It isn't until the solo numbers that we see what talented - and bendy - dancers the girls are. In comparison to Kitty Bang Bang's en-pointe fire-breathing number (which ends with her setting her nipple tassels on fire), the rest of the act is bland.

The first act is accompanied by the only male performer, Spencer Day, who croons along to the dancing. His performance is a little nervous and he sometimes looks pained whilst he sings, but it never shows in his rich and smooth voice. He's a good looking man; he should smile more.

Miss Polly Rae herself doesn't enter until the end of the first act, and Act II picks up substantially with her in it. The routines become more varied, moving from a convent to a classroom to a simple but sexy number with exercise balls. The music takes a more contemporary turn, moving from jazz to Britney Spears and a slow version of Michael Jackson's Bad sung down a telephone. Miss Rae oozes charisma and naughtiness from the top of her red head to the tip of her delicately pointed toes. As well as adding some sultry singing of her own, she adds the humour and double entendres that the first act is sparse in.

How you react to this show is very much dependent on gender and sexual orientation. Both men and woman can find something to enjoy in it but, as a woman, I began to get a bit bored with numbers that always ended in nipple caps and a few strategic bits of string. But ignoring the fact that the second act is a little long, the show is sultry, sexy, naughty, rude, crude, glamourous and glitzy. Although there are moments when it's a little too risqu?, it never slips into tasteless or seedy. The talent and ingenuity takes it from just another burlesque show to a West End show.

• 2 months later...