Theatre - anything on worth seeing?

wee quinnie

• 3 weeks later...

I saw War Horse at the NT the other night. Splendid horses wielded by extremely fit (in the original sense) actors. Very moving in parts with a fine comic touch by the RSM.

It dragged in a few places, particularly the opening, and I never worked out why the French girl was really in it, but on the whole a fabulous piece of theatre and very apposite for this time of year.

I don't have a problem with something being artistically scientific or scientifically arty.

I'm looking forward to it. Seen a lot of dead bodies and it's about time they were used (with the previous owners' consents of course!) to educate the rest of us. When I went to buy the tickets from the Dome itself it was half term and there were quite a few kids coming out of there looking fine about it. This is good.

Anyone seeing the Neil La Bute show at Almeida? Giggirl? I just got tickets for that too.

I saw The Last 5 Years - both the "Notes from New York" version at the Haymarket recently and the London "premiere" at the Menier Chocolate Factory last year I think. It is a fab piece of musical theatre - but then in my eyes, Jason Robert Brown can do no wrong! Did anyone catch Parade at the Donmar last autumn? Also amazing!

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Anyone seeing the Neil La Bute show at Almeida?

> Giggirl? I just got tickets for that too.

I had a good hard look at the Neil La Bute but I decided against; the subject matter is a little uncomfortable for me; there be dragons. I did see his last debut at the Almeida though - that was the Mercy Seat, his 9/11 play a few years back. I was flying off to Dublin very early the next morning and arrived at the theatre with a huge suitcase which the theatre manager looked after for me. You don't get that in the West End.

Not for me, for personal reasons, but it will probably be a huge hit.

http://www.almeida.co.uk/production_details/production_details.aspx?code=73

Its probably been mentioned already but I went to see Ivanov last night and it is great. On at the wyndham theatre. Some of it was a bit too close to home especially the first half so was slightly uncomfortable viewing but the second half was not so much and there were more characters who I got into. Def worth seeing.

I liked both, but I preferred the Menier production. It had more energy and since, (in my opinion anyway) it's such an intimate piece, it just worked better in the smaller space. It also had better sets as it was a proper run and not (as originally planned) a one-night-only which is what the Haymarket started out as (even though they ended up doing 3).

The CD of the New York version is worth getting if you like the show.

Saw Overspill at the Soho Theatre last week - a fantastic piece of theatre - inventive, exciting, poetic, funny and devastating. Unfortunately this is a bit after the fact as I saw it at the end of its run, but if you do see it transferred anywhere, I can't recommend it highly enough.

agree with tinagwee on Ivanov - great stuff - suppose you wouldn't expect less from Branagh, but he's always irritated me before now. however found myself loving it and him (which will doubtless be a great comfort to the man)

RosieH Wrote:

>

> agree with tinagwee on Ivanov - great stuff -

> suppose you wouldn't expect less from Branagh, but

> he's always irritated me before now. however

> found myself loving it and him (which will

> doubtless be a great comfort to the man)

Rosie - I'm seeing Ivanov at the end of the month and I'm really looking forward to it. Branagh had always irritated me but then I saw him in Edmond at the NT and his performance was stunning.

Moos - have heard good things about the Norman Conquests.

Moos Wrote:

> Looking forward to seeing The Norman Conquests in

> December... I'll report back. Has had good

> reviews.

I'm very confused about this - do you see all 3 plays in one night (are they each one-act-plays)or do you have to keep returning?? Do consider it whenever I go past the Old Vic, but sadly nearly always off to do other things!!

I saw that one too. Another was was Faust at Hammersmith which took years I seem to remember. But nothing, not nothing, beats seeing America parts 1 and 2, by Laurie Anderson at Hammersmith Odeon on one day (in 1983?) followed 2 nights later by Parts 3 and 4. In the middle night we saw The Stranglers. Ahh those were the days. Proper music. Yawnnnn.

I've been to see Table Manners of the Norman Conquests trilogy and it was really good fun. It isn't the most groundbreaking piece of theatre you'll ever see but it's a great evening's entertainment. Also, if you are under 26 or a student you can get a ticket for ?12. The supposed 'restricted view' seats are also not bad at all, couldn't really understand what was restricted about it! It is in the round so there are good views from pretty much anywhere in the auditorium. Anyone who wants to go to see plays or wants to know about what is happening please feel free to PM me as I tend to keep up with what's happening in the area and am always happy to have new theatre buddies! Kate.

Donmar Warehouse - today is the first public booking day for the new season. The Donmar excells at everything but I think the Dolls House is worth singling out - I think Gillian Anderson is inspired casting for Nora.

Please don't be put off that it's a long time ahead and you may not be able to go because you don't know what you're plans are for next year; the Donmar takes returns and because the theatre is so tiny, by the time the plays are put on they are completely sold out and the box office is grateful for returns (as is the hopeful queue that forms daily).

The best place to sit is in the stalls facing the stage, then in the stalls at the side of the stage. Only go up to the circle if you really have to.

https://etickets.theambassadors.com/ShowList.aspx