Theatre - anything on worth seeing?

wee quinnie

• 1 month later...

The RSC's Hamlet (David Tennant - Hamlet and Patrick Stewart - Claudius), in London this December, has 99% sold out already to RSC members and doesn't go to public booking until 12 September. There are only a handful of nosebleed seats left but if anyone on the Forum really wants to see this and doesn't mind sitting in crap seats then PM me and I'll help if I can.

http://www.rsc.org.uk/buyonline/booktickets/tickets/production.aspx?PerformanceNumber=7121

If you like a musical I can highly recommend "They're playing our song" at the Menier Theatre. Cast includes Alastair McGowan and Connie Fisher (ex Maria, Sound of Music). Loosely based on relationship between Marvin Hamlisch and Carole Bayer Seger.

Can highly recommend anything you may see advertised as being at The Great Debating Chamber in London County Hall.

Yup, the one Ken Livingstone lived in before he took a break as an MP then returning up the river...

Saw Andy McQuade in two one man shows Saturday, and he was wonderful, but the theatre itself was the most unusual and beautiful venue! You get to sit in comfy leather seats with little desks in front of you!

• 2 weeks later...
Went to see Pygmalion at the Old Vic on Friday and really enjoyed it - classic theatre played straight, really well acted. I couldn't remember where I'd seen Michelle Dockerty (Eliza) before, and then tracked her down to the rather bad production of Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather from a few Christmases ago. But she was great in this, as was most of the rest of the cast.

• 4 weeks later...
RSC's HAMLET: Just a reminder to anyone on the forum who may want to see David Tennant's Hamlet that the public sale of tickets is this Friday, 12th Sept. Tickets went on sale to RSC members back in July and, frankly, there is little left for a public sale. However, the RSC holds back a few seats for public sale (I guess just so that it can say that it DID actually have a public sale). To get public seats you will need to be on the phones on Friday morning as soon as they go on sale. Good luck - the Stratford reviews are excellent.

Another reminder about the Hamlet public on-sale tomorrow (Friday 12th). The few remaining tickets available will go on sale at 10.00am tomorrow. Here are some numbers to try:

RSC Ticket Hotline: 0844 800 1110

Novello Theatre: 0844 482 5135

Alternatively you can go direct to the Novello Theatre in the Aldwych, which has a small allocation of tickets.

It will be busy, it will be a frenzy, they will all sell out quickly. Good luck to anyone who wants tickets.

Here are the dates:

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 7:15pm

Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 7:15pm

Friday, December 5, 2008 - 7:15pm

Saturday, December 6, 2008 - 7:15pm

Monday, December 8, 2008 - 7:15pm

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 7pm

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:15pm

Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:15pm

Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:15pm

Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 7:15pm

Monday, December 15, 2008 - 7:15pm

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:15pm

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1pm

Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 7:15pm

Friday, December 19, 2008 - 7:15pm

Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 7:15pm

Monday, December 22, 2008 - 7:15pm

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 7:15pm

Friday, December 26, 2008 - 7:15pm

Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 7:15pm

Monday, December 29, 2008 - 7:15pm

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 7:15pm

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 1pm

Thursday, January 1, 2009 - 7:15pm

Friday, January 2, 2009 - 7:15pm

Saturday, January 3, 2009 - 7:15pm

Monday, January 5, 2009 - 7:15pm

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 7:15pm

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 7:15pm

Thursday, January 8, 2009 - 7:15pm

Friday, January 9, 2009 - 7:15pm

Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 7:15pm

David Mc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Piaf at the Donmar (transferring to the Vaudeville

> if you can't get tickets) is impressive.

I'm going to see this tomorrow night at the Donmar. To be honest I'm a little scared; my mother died a very slow and painful death from acute rheumatoid arthritis and it's something that I get very tearful about. When I was a child there was morphine next to the margerine in our fridge at home. Edith had the same condition so I think I'll be crying a little tomorrow night.

Sorry to hear that.

It's not clear in the show that she suffered from RA (unless I missed something - it's quite fast-paced - I'm glad that, on a recommendation, I watched "La Vie en Rose" beforehand) - only that she got hooked from being "properly" medicated after a couple of car accidents. But the production doesn't pull any punches when it comes to dealing with the drug issue.

Actually I'm glad to hear that they don't mention RA in the show because it really does make me instantly tearful. But Piaf did suffer from severe RA and I know she had medication issues. I think it's not so bad if you get RA today because medicine has moved on a lot (I'm not 100% sure of my facts here - it's not something I ever Google because I'm frightened of seeing the pictures). Back in the 70s it was all about Sister Morphene - well who wouldn't have issues with that.

Still definitely looking forward to tomorrow though and I'll report back.

Yes - I did some googling before I posted that and it's clear she did suffer from RA (amongst a host of other scary things that also don't come up in the show).

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it, even if you do shed a tear.

I was a total mess over "Parade" at the Donmar last year, but I still think it's one of the best shows ever!

• 4 weeks later...
For anyone who missed out on Eddie Izzard tickets because they sold out so fast - another couple of Christmas dates have been added. You can buy now at www.seetickets.com, which has the cheapest booking fees for theatre (although they are high for anything other than theatre).