Theatre - anything on worth seeing?

wee quinnie

Sure but what's so wrong about easy laughs? I saw it a day ago and I'm STILL laughing. I had a fit of giggles on the train this morning just thinking about it. I almost stuffed my whole fist in my mouth.

The reviews for the Globe look amazing and I'm sure Eve Best dazzles (saw her in Mourning becomes Electra a few years back and she dazzled then). Of course Tennant/Tate is popular Shakespeare - that was to be expected. There's a lot of physical comedy in it and some pure slapstick moments. But so what? In his day, Shakespeare was not high-brow. Much Ado is not Hamlet, it's quite a low-brow play I think. David Tennant is a classically trained actor and it shows. Catherine Tate is a commedienne and it shows.

Good night out though.

• 8 months later...

Mark Rylance is my personal God of acting of all time. He's bringing a Rick III to Shakespeare's Globe this summer and I believe it must be seen.

He's also reprising his Lady Olivia in the all male Twelfth Night which I'm seeing (for him) but I'm not fond of the play at all. I was given a royal telling off yesterday for not having warned the world about these plays as apparently Twelfth Night sold out yesterday on the back of the Stephen Fry announcement. The website shows it as completely sold out but apparently if you ring up they might be able to sort you out with something.

https://tickets.shakespearesglobe.com/selecteics.asp

Unrestricted view seats in the middle gallery is the way to go if you can manage it.

I would also recommend Abigail's Party for a bit of light relief (cheesy pineappley one anyone?) at the Menier Chocolate Factory. Easy journey home afterwards.

https://www.menierchocolatefactory.com/Online/default.asp

I worship at the shrine of Punchdrunk and if you're hungry for them (and I am) then go see their Dr Who collaboration in Ipswich (yes I know, I know) after dark this summer:

http://www.wolseytheatre.co.uk/2012crash

They keep saying that there will be a London show soon though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back to bang on about Mark Rylance some more.

Richard III and Twelfth Night (with the wonderful Stephen Fry as Malvolio) are in rep this winter for a short run after opening at Shakespeare's Globe this Summer. Twelfth Night is already completely sold out for its run at the Globe.

Tickets have gone on sale today for the winter run at the Apollo Shaftesbury Avenue. This is the same theatre where Mark Rylance wowed in Jerusalem last year. I know it seems like a long way off but I promise you, Rylance's Richard III will be a major performance and it will be a hard-to-get ticket once the reviews are in.

Here's a link to buy today. You can also buy directly from the theatre.

http://www.nimaxtheatres.com/

If you want to check the quality of the seats you're buying then use theatremonkey.

http://www.theatremonkey.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

We're on a comedy kick at present - Noise Off last week is a master class in comic timing and highly recommended. Equally good last night, but it closes next weekend, The Ladykillers - directed by Sean Foley who created the sublime "The Play Wot I Wrote" ten years ago it uses the Ealing film as a starting point but was an evening of belly laughs. The set is fantastic and Peter Capaldi truly brilliant as a comic actor on stage.

Next week Sweeney Todd - going over to the dark side. Still have to catch "one Man Two Guvenors".

I'd forgotten about this thread, saw Absent Friends last w/e and loved it - fantastic cast performances and appropriately for the Harold Pinter Theatre some bottom clenching pauses!!

Annoyingly it's into it's final week now so possible too late to recommend, but if you do get a chance go.

MM - any idea how long Noises Off is running for? Saw it in the West End about 10yrs ago but would love to take Mr Buggie who hasn't seen it & looked a bit confused but interested as I tried to explain the premise!

buggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd forgotten about this thread, saw Absent

> Friends last w/e and loved it - fantastic cast

> performances and appropriately for the Harold

> Pinter Theatre some bottom clenching pauses!!

>

> Annoyingly it's into it's final week now so

> possible too late to recommend, but if you do get

> a chance go.

>

> MM - any idea how long Noises Off is running for?

> Saw it in the West End about 10yrs ago but would

> love to take Mr Buggie who hasn't seen it & looked

> a bit confused but interested as I tried to

> explain the premise!

I think only about another 2 - 3 months max for Noises Off.

We bought tickets for Ladykillers at the Leicester Sq TCKTs booth and they had some Noises Off tickets at discount.

Thanks for the tip MM - would likely book in advance as would need to sort childcare & getting to the tkts booth with toddler in tow would be mildly challenging!!

Aren't there special offers for Southwark residents at The Old Vic anyway though?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw "One Man, Two Guv'nors" last night - just brilliant. No star names just an excellent updating and staging of an 18th century comedy. I have never heard an entire audience laughing in complete accord for e=an entire play. The degree of ad libs and occasional interaction with the audience adds still further pleasure to the evening.

Recommended. No longer the sell out it was with James Corden in the lead role - but his successor, Owain Arthur holds the whole thing together wilt skill and ease.

I recently saw Abigail's Party at it's sold out run at the Menier Chocolate Factory. It's transferring to the West End for a while and I would recommend it highly. Here's a link to book.

If you enter the promo code - CHOCMAIL - then you'll get discount.

https://www.menierchocolatefactory.com/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=2A980F44-BF8A-4BA9-9227-D53BF3CA5A4A&sessionlanguage=

Strictly speaking, not theatre. However, Secret Cinema is on again this summer. Tickets available from 3pm today (2nd May), here:

https://shop.ticketscript.com/channel/web2/start-order/rid/3DVMV7K4/language/en

I expect these dates will be an instant sell out but more dates will follow.

Last Secret Cinema was in November; The Third Man with Vienna re-created in a warehouse near Spittlefields Market and everyone trading on the black market for the night. Good fun.

• 2 weeks later...