Theatre - anything on worth seeing?

wee quinnie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The Ruling Class with James McAvoy at Trafalgar Studios was fantastic, one of the best plays I've seen in ages. Some of the satire's a bit dated, but it's still really funny and an amazing performance from McAvoy. I think the whole run's sold out, but if you can find a way of getting tickets I'd recommend it.

Only just spotted this thread, despite averaging a show a week much of the time. Agree "The Play That Went Wrong" is worth going to if you like Fawlty Towers style humour.

Saw These Trees Are Made of Blood at Southwark Playhouse at the weekend and rated it as possibly the most brilliant show I have ever seen. It is highly emotive, at times very funny, and by the end had both audience and cast in tears. Probably qualifies as a "political musical", it deals with the subject of the disappearance of 30,000 students in Argentina in the late 1970s. Staging is in a Buenos Aries cabaret club with a fantastic band who also act out various roles during the show. Twitter has been buzzing with first viewings and reviews have been great. It is in the smaller theatre so starting to sell out on nights as word gets round. If you are lucky enough to go see it take a large box of tissues - you may need it at the end.

I too saw These Trees are Made of Blood last week, the opening night. The preview was almost unbearably long at just under three hours as the cabaret bit went on almost to the interval- the first half spilling over to an hour and a half.. I am sure they have made some cuts since then! Once the story got going - it was brilliant! I've thought about it quite a lot since seeing it.

• 1 month later...
2nd Gypsy, Imelda Staunton is brilliant in it. Saw Dead of Night at Landor last week and worthy of good reviews it has received. Off to see Carrie at Southwark Playhouse tomorrow - thinking of taking a plastic sheet as told there is a lot of blood splashing around the stage/floor area. Reviews have been excellent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...