Theatre - anything on worth seeing?

wee quinnie

Can Highly recommend Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Not a happy play by any means, but a wonderfully written and acted piece and starring David Suchet and Laurie Metcalfe. Laurie Metcalfe was the reason I booked. She is wonderful.

Saturday night, we had Balcony seats and were upgraded two balconies below to Dress Circle.

A grand time on Friday at SWEENEY TODD. Imelda Staunton and Michael Ball absolutely heart-rending. "Aspects of love" and consequences of dementia, excuse the redundancy. Take in your hip-flask, the interval drinks prices are extortionate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally, Punchdrunk has a new show ready to wow London with. This is going to be the theatrical event of the year, you must see it.

The last London show was the Masque of the Red Death at Battersea Town Hall. This new show has been on hold for a few years because they've been unable to find a premises big enough. The wait is over. It's happening. They're using the mother of all empty buildings in Paddington.

"The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable

Step into the world of Temple Pictures where the Hollywood studio system meets a forgotten hinterland filled with dreamers who exist at the fringes of the movie industry. Here, celluloid fantasy clings to desperate realism and certainty dissolves into a hallucinatory world.

Inspired by B?chner?s fractured masterpiece Woyzeck, this theatrical journey follows its protagonists along the precipice between illusion and reality."

Although it's based on Woyzeck, there is a second story interwoven (just as Rebecca is interwoven into Macbeth in Sleep No More in New York).

Tickets on sale via the National Theatre on Friday. Performances on Fridays and Saturdays will include an aftershow party.

More info here

http://punchdrunk.com/current-shows

Going to see Peter and Alice with Judi Dench soon. (not going with Judi Dench, she's just appearing in it) Bought the tickets about 6 months ago and of course I bought them for Easter Saturday, not knowing it was Easter Saturday (doh) so had to change and get charged for the expensive seats as they were the only ones now left. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone seen it?

I also have tickets to Peter and Alice 8th April, but also to see Nina Conti at Soho.

Last time I had tickets to see Dame Judi it was for Madame de Sade. It was pants without her despite Frances Barber, and I suspect her presence would not have made it any less pants!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a bonanza day out on Saturday.

Michael Granadage's "Cripple of Innishmaan" with Daniel Radcliffe proving that he's far more than a child actor grown up. A studied and nuanced performance that in a play that was amusing, thought provoking and shocking. The "Harry Potter" effect means the play is sold out but they do reserve 150 ?10 tickets for sale every day.

Then on, via supper, to see Lenny Henry in Fences. Set in the black neighbourhood of Pittsburgh the play was, perhaps 30 minutes too long and would have benefited from some tighter editing. However, Lenny Henry was superb - he held the audience and was in complete command. Forget his sometimes toe curling stand up comic routines - in this play he was an actor at the very top of his game. Highly recommended.

OTE - not sure. We bought our tickets ages ago when the Grandage season was announced. However, my experience is that you need to be in the queue two hours before the box office opens. I've often done this and enjoyed the queue for the conversations with other interested theatre goers.

Suggest you ring the box office for advice.

MM