Dulwich Runners beginners

It's really worthwhile - I used to be a member of the club (pre baby) and helped out with the beginners course. From memory it used to be Saturday mornings, at Dulwich Park. They build you up slowly with the end result being that you should be able to join the club for their weekly runs (if you want to, there's no pressure!).

I'll be doing the beginners course this time next year to get me back into running again, can't wait!

The Dulwich Park Runners beginners course would be perfect for you - there used to be a lot of complete beginners, it's a great way to get an introduction to running in an environment that's both supportive and safe (good warm ups, warm downs etc., so the risk of injury is reduced).

Regrettably, I too forgot to join up despite constant reminders, but have decided to just run anyway. I'm a beginner too since I haven't run for several years but have just started (last week) running a few miles (3-4ish) in the Dulwich area at an extremely sensible pace. If anyone wants to join me you're more than welcome.

Dulwich Park Runners hold the beginner's courses throughout the year. Each course lasts 6 weeks. It is worth checking back on the site in a little while to see when the next course may start. They are on www.dulwichparkrunners.com

They seem to get bigger and bigger every time. It is a fab course and a great way of meeting other people in the area.

If there are any of you out there who missed out on the beginner's course and would like to get started straight away perhaps you could PM me. If we could organise a mutually convenient time I would be more than happy to run a progressive beginner's course with you. When I say beginners I mean beginners e.g. starting with run for 1 min followed by walk for one min. I am a qualified personal trainer working in the area.

This course is over 9 weeks and they run it twice a year - think next one is October. It's aimed at real beginners or people coming back to running after injury etc. Start and finish with stretches and given 'homework' each week i.e. you go out running twice during the week for a specified time.

A course in running? What's that all about? I just went out there and did it on my tod. Took me 30 minutes to run a mile the first time I went out!!!! and now I'm taking place in 10 mile runs all over the place for charity. Just get out there and do it and go on runners forums to learn the tricks of the trade. Alternatively, do a course. Whatever floats your boat. :))

Congratulations on your motivation MW74. I've been meaning to get back out running for a while now and just not got round to it. I have done it on my tod before but it seems like I might need a little extra something to get going this time and a beginners course might be just the ticket. :-)

scotslass Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Joined the runners club last Saturday - just

> interested to find out if anyone on the Forum was

> part of the group

Assuming it's the same one, I think my sister was there.

Hope you enjoy the running group scotslass and get as much out of it as I did.

This time last year I nervously joined the course as a complete novice having never done any running before. After the course I continued with running 3 times a week and in a couple of weeks I?m running my first half marathon. I've really surprised myself - a year ago I couldn't have managed a 10k now I do that a couple of times a week as a lunchtime run!

scotslass Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Joined the runners club last Saturday - just

> interested to find out if anyone on the Forum was

> part of the group

Yes I was, I was one of the helpers, (Did you put a bag in the car? - That was me!) and have been a member of the club for over a year now.

Sadly, I've managed to damage my ankle quite badly the following day, (See the doctor thread) so have not been able to run since that day, which is a great pity :-(

If anyone else is considering starting to run then please feel free to drop the club an e-mail (www.dulwichparkrunners.co.uk) and we'll get on touch when the next beginners course is to be held (later this year).

Be warned though, they get booked up very very quickly.

Eric