Au Ciel - staff attitude

Nero

I asked a woman behind the counter whether she'd pull the awning out further so I could sit under it. She was rude and sulky, rolling her eyes and looking at her colleague with that Vicky Pollard pout we all know and hate. She told me that I'd get wet, which wasn't concern about my welfare, but merely a way of fobbing me off because she really couldn't be arsed to help. I told her that I got the distinct impression that she couldn't care less about my wanting to sit outside so I'd go elsewhere. At the time, there was nobody else in the shop, so she wasn't at all busy. She was very unpleasant and the very opposite of what good service should be and I won't be going back.

She can be a bit off but they do make exceedingly good cakes!

Nero you just have to put it down to them being a bit French. It's like going (was) to Wong Kei in Wardour St. Great food but abusive service. All part of the wonderful experience.

I don't get that line of thinking. I don't want rose petals strewn at my feet and witty banter galore, not even a smile, just courtesy and politeness, when I go somewhere to spend my money. What I got was the very opposite and warrants no excusing. French service in France is generally brisk but good. This was a mix of recalcitrance and antipathy and very unexpected and uncalled for.

It's such crap to suggest that a rotten attitude is just part of the experience. F*** that. I' like a good attitude and have been known to ask for the service charge to be removed from the bill before now. And I'm a good tipper - I always appreciate good service and always pay for it.

Where exactly is Au Ciel?

KK I have to disagree with your sweeping statement there. You're just as likely to encounter bad/indifferent service in the village as you would down the lane. The lady in question in Au Ciel is always a bit off, but the comedy value keeps me going back as generally the rest of the staff and the cakes, chocolate, coffee are superb. In all the other places I've always experienced friendly service (especially Panin d'Oro). You may be getting confused with some of the natives who can be a bit stuck up, especially when a chav like me is holding up the queue.

I was more than surprised. I was shocked. Dulwich Village is posher than ED, but it's not snobbish. I've never had exemplary service there, but neither have I had anything approaching as bad as the episode I describe above until now. I've been there many times before and had good service, but this was something else. I'm emailing the thread to Le Chardon just so they know. (The woman in question knows herself what I thought of her attitude, so it's not a case of bleating from a distance.)

Sorry Loz I obviously have had different experiences/not as much experience? as your good self. I wasn't meaning to over generalise only point out that, in my opinion (which admittedly is probably biased in any case as I'm not a great fan of the village area) it was hardly surprising *shuts up now*

Interesting post. As already mentioned part of the Le Chardon/erstwhile Green group. As most will know the service at the Green was shite. The last time I entered Le Chardon the staff argued amongst themselves to such a degree we thought it was the floor show. It's clear the staff training / customer care in these "establishments" are non existant. It suprises me that in the current economic climate some retailers are not bending over backwards to assist customers.

Haven't encountered rudeness as such in Au Ciel but the staff never look happy and don't go out of their way to be friendly.

I wouldn't say the Village establishments as a rule are "snobby", I feel the service is generally very good. The Dulwich Bookshop, for example, has always gone out of its way to locate books they do not have in stock. The toy shop/stationers are helpful too, as is the florists.

They are really surly in there and have a very bad attitude. Last time we went in we asked for a small glass of milk for our 18mnth old and were promptly charged ?1.20 for it. I don't expect hand-outs but I could get 2 pints of milk at the supermarket for that much. No reason to go there now that summer's on its way, I would much prefer to sit outside the Italian deli (they may be a bit grumpy there too, but at least you don't have to look at their faces).

When the economy is awash with surplus cash, and chinese resto's and cafes are brim full, this can lead to lax standards. Some bright spark might momentarily draw some quirky attention to themselves by giving deliberately abusive service. it''l work for a while, then normality will resume.

When the economy is not awash with cash...do the work, smile a bit, bums on seats dear, bums on seats.

This inverted snobbery about the village is so unfounded. I spend a lot of time there and feel a real sense of being a local in local shops, known by the staff etc etc. Saying that I've not been in the pub for ages as the staff are rubbish now but I used to really like going there.

I feel that way in some of the shops on LL too.

Never really go in Au Ciel as I don't have the time to sit in coffee shops at the moment sadly. They're not exactly a cheery bunch when I have been in though.

They're French, what do you expect? Anyone been to Paris recently? It's the best coffee (and the cheapest) in the Village, and possibly Dulwich, the cakes etc are to die for and v expensive, so keeps the riff raff away and it adds to the little funny thing about Dulwich Village thats difficult to describe or explain. The SM reason for going/being there (nurse, the screens)

EDOldie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's the best coffee

Hmmm, maybe it's better during the week. On the weekends the coffee at Au Ciel is atrocious, I'm always disappointed (but daughter prefers their cakes). Give me d'Oro's coffee any day.

EDOldie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They're French, what do you expect? Anyone been to

> Paris recently? It's the best coffee (and the

> cheapest) in the Village, and possibly Dulwich,

> the cakes etc are to die for and v expensive, so

> keeps the riff raff away and it adds to the little

> funny thing about Dulwich Village thats difficult

> to describe or explain. The SM reason for

> going/being there (nurse, the screens)

Good grief. Where to start.

What do I expect? I expect them to riot and set fire to you...

I live kind of in the village but I've also lived in E Dulwich, Peckham and H Hill and I haven't experienced the village as snobbier overall. Vastly prefer Au Ciel to the ridiculously overhyped Blue Mountain which these days seems dirty, overpriced and usually with poor service.