Post not being delivered by Royal Mail

gazzam

On 15 December I had an email saying RM had tried to deliver a 24 hour tracked package, nobody seemed to be in and they had left a card.

I was in all day. No card was left. I looked around outside. Nothing there Asked if neighbours had taken it in. No.

I rearranged redelivery for 16th.

I still haven't had it. It is medication from Lloyds Direct and is presumably supposed to take priority

Not sure what to do now, whether to ask GP to send another prescription direct to Lloyds in NCR to be collected

Never had a problem with Lloyds Direct packages before.

Edited by Sue

Recently my neighbour told me that a package for me (Royal Mail) had been left on her wall.

I complained to Royal Mail and got a reference number. Surprise surprise, no response.

I suppose I should be grateful that at least nobody took the package before my neighbour saw it.

I've just tried to rebook the "re" delivery of my medication which was supposed to have been "re" delivered on 16th. I got a message saying I had already booked a redelivery.

Er, yes! I did! It didn't happen!

So then I tried to make a complaint. It seems now you can only do that by phone or by - POST!!!!

Grrrrr

Even tracked post is not getting here. Two of my parcels have not arrived. On both occasions the tracker says missed delivery and card put through door. Not true on both cases. No card has ever been put through my door. To add insult to injury, they ask for you to take the card in order to get it from the sorting office, that's if it is even there. Try phoning up and it's a 40 minute wait on the phone.

Hello postie here. Striking is causing backlog but most of us dnt want to strike anymore, it just seems the those in charge of Royal Mail don’t care about the business going down hill, seems like they are determined to run this company to the ground. If we don’t strike however, Royal Mail will have free rein to do as they please. I have already heard that they are not paying people sick pay over the Christmas period, which surely must be breach of contract. These are one of the things they want to get rid of. They have got lots of agency workers who are paid around £20 an hour to try and clear the backlog but they are not doing as great a job as ur regular postie would. Posties are not getting paid on strike days and many of us are suffering over the cost of living but Royal Mail are not budging. If they really wanted to save Christmas, they would have done their utmost already as Christmas is their peak period. Like I said, they dnt care. Lots of my colleagues are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We want to deliver Christmas, this is why we love our jobs, but at the same time, we cannot give in to Royal Mail who are certainly damaging their reputation but blaming the strikes. I really feel despondent and dnt kno when this debacle will end, we have been striking most weeks since September now.

As Loki mentions, the Royal Mail wants to become just like the other courier companies where they're part of the gig economy rather than having the perks that should be standard for any employee.

Letters no longer make them money, it's a loss making part of the business when all they want to do is provide a parcel service thanks to internet sales. One of the small businesses I use looked at moving to one of the courier companies to help goods get to customers faster during the strikes, but decided to stay with RM because they're in a long term contract.

The biggest mistake IMHO was for the Royal Mail to be privatised which led to the sale of Silvester Road sorting office.

My sympathies Loki. I don't blame the workers. Accountability starts at the top and just like other services, this government seems intent on running the service into the ground. Meanwhile the rest of us suffer terrible service. It's almost impossible to complain by phone. I hope they settle soon and you get decent conditions of employment for all our sakes.

£20 an hour is reasonable.

Yes that’s very good! That’s what they are paying the agency workers but they are not giving permanent workers full time contracts. We are stuck on 20/25/30 hours but most will do overtime as most of the walks are very long. And even then we have to chase the overtime to be paid. A lot of agency workers are claiming more hours than they actually work

The biggest mistake IMHO was for the Royal Mail to be privatised which led to the sale of Silvester Road sorting office.

Yes, but also, once they had decided to sell the Silvester Road office (which they said was not fit for purpose) they made no apparent attempt to investigate other possible options within SE22 which were suggested to them, for example a unit on one of the small industrial estates (not sure if that's the correct term).

I had exactly the same experience as that posted by Sue yesterday. I was expecting a parcel via Royal Mail last Thursday and received an email saying delivery had been attempted, ‘it appeared’ nobody had been in and that a card had been left giving options for redelivery. We were here all day and no card was left, I requested a redelivery for Friday, this was acknowledged and I have been waiting ever since. The tracking says it is in transit and it has been saying that since Friday,

We did receive some other post today, the first delivery in a fortnight, including a letter for a hospital appointment for yesterday. Apart from the stress of missing such an appointment, this waste of NHS time and money is concerning.

Not a single card yet. No post for a couple of weeks. It's truly shameful that we can no longer rely on the postal service.

I've just sent off complaints to anyone I can think of, but I realise that this was a waste of time. Still, it seems wrong not to try to do something about it.

Told that management is telling posties to prioritise packages, letters are going to wait until 2023.

Covid is leading to staff shortages, e.g when drivers go off sick, so the letters aren't getting delivered to the places where those on foot rounds can deliver them. And there's an ever growing mountain of mail in the delivery office.

This is for SE15, apparently it's even worse in SE22 - don't you need telling!

That said the last few years (pre-pandemic too) round here there's been no mail for weeks, with Xmas cards posted after early December typically arriving mid-January. Left wondering how late they will arrive this time around!

Today I received my first mail (as opposed to parcel) post for a week. One card. [i am owed several weeklies - normally we get 60-70 cards at Christmas and I would be expecting bills, statements and other regular post]. My postie told me that was the only thing in 'my slot' and then said that it was believed that slots were being cleared (post dumped) so that senior management might think that things were not out-of-hand.

So even if you had been getting deliveries, it wouldn't be the full story. Allegedly.

What a disgrace.