Does anyone know how to:

LibraCarr

Grow tomato plants?

We were flying from Bakewell, Derbyshire on Sunday morning and noticed a small car boot sale that looked really interesting, the sale had fresh meat, plants and veg etc.

I bought some tomato plants and asked the seller how to tend to them. It was quite funny as I could not understand him at all. Rather than appear rude I thought I would ask the forum!

This is a new thread and it would be good to use it to problem solve.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

Ooh, excellent stuff. I just got some too.

The woman told me to leave then in their pots for week and water them from below in a tray and then transfer them to a grow bag - which I did on Saturday. I've bought some feed which it says to give them once a week and I know you have to keep them well fed and watered to get juicy toms. Also, a very sunny position helps, I think.

Anyone with anymore knowledge would be great.

(dons Garden hat to reply)

Good Compost, and it may well be worth considering a grow bag (or as many as needed)

Allow 1 foot between plants to allow good root growth

Depending on expected height of plants, place an appropriate stake next to them and loosely tie in as they grow (if tight it will constrict growth) - If Tumblers then grow in a basket or a window box and you don't need a stake

use tomato feed once a week (liquid form) and water daily (after 7 when the sun is weaker to stop evaporation)

Pinch out top of the plan (first few leaves) every so often to encourage it to bush outwards rather then straigh up (more fruit is often the result)

Check for ailments on leaves and fruit and treat as required

good sun is essential for good cropping

:)) Enjoy with home grown rocket salad !!!

Don't start feeding them until they have set their first truss - ie after the bottom set of flowers have fallen off to reveal tiny green tomatoes - otherwise you will just get lots of lush leaf growth and not much in the way of tomatoes. You also need to pinch out the side shoots (except if they are bush tomatoes) - do you know what varieties you have got?

The main thing is, as the plant grows, to pinch out the little shoots that form between the main stem and the leaf stems (the bits that branch out off the main stem). If you don't do this you will end up with lots of lovely leaves and not so many tomatoes.

Then, when you have about 6 or so trusses set, (a bunch of tomatoes, in effect - probably take a couple of months??) stop the plant growing any further by snipping off the tip of the plant.

This puts all the growing energies into the tomatoes.

Some people say if any more trusses start to form you should get rid of those too - as again too much fruit will be spreading the energy of the gro bag too thin. But you can judge this from the state of your plant - how big the tomatoes are getting, how quickly maturing etc

Argh...overload. Trusses? Mine only have one set of flowers near the top. Should I snip that off.

I have Gardeners' Delight, Plum and one I can't remember the name of that looks pear shaped on the picture. All planted in one grow bag. I have fed them once but will now wait on Ted's advice.

You're fine David. Keep the flowers, that's what you're after. Tomatoes will follow. A nascent bunch of tomatoes = truss.

In terms of snipping off, you want a plant with a nice central stem and nice neat(ish) side stems going off it, like a child would draw a tree, perhaps, rather than stems everywhere.

Then when you've got about half a dozen bunches of tomatoes growing nicely, you might want to think about stopping the plant growing up and out anymore, and just concentrate on fattening up your lovely plums, as it were.

My grandfather used to fill the watering can in the morning and then leave it in the greenhouse with the tomatoes to warm up during the day. Apparently they like it.

My father had a hessian sack half full of horse muck, tied at the neck, with a cane shoved through left it hanging submerged in his water butt. It produced a liquid feed like a water butt full of baby-bio.

A very cheap and effective feed.

Sheesh I didn?t realise growing tomatoes (or is that tomatoes I?m never sure) was so complicated.

I chucked some old spuds in the garden last year and I now have what looks like it is going to be a half decent potato crop.

This is my first tomato growing year. The little beauties are a little over 7cm tall at the mo. I got a little carried away and put them outside to soak up the rays this weekend whilst I went down to Devon. They were more than a little shrivelled and battered when I got back. Idiot, I know. They're back inside now and all but one seem to have recovered.