Anyone got moths in ED?

I have had swarms of these little blighters over the years, in the woollen clothing, in the cashmere, in the carpets, squashed all over the walls (in frustration and anger...)...

However, either they've all vanished from south London, or I've found a solution - Moth Guard spray from Lakeland. I haven't read the label, so don't know what nasties are in it. However, one application on the carpets (the breeding ground) over a month ago, and I haven't seen a single moth since...nor has my friend who also tried the spray.

It seemed a bit expensive at ?12.99, but has worked for me (unless the moths have moved on from this neighbourhood generally!).

I think it's only available in Lakeland shops or on their website: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/moth-guard/F/keyword/moth/product/21383

Tx

I haven't had any holes in clothes yet (that I've seen), but I bought some of those pheromone traps and they work really well.

You can buy them in SMBS - they're up the back with the household/bathroom products, on a high shelf. They're about ?6 and I have one in the bedroom and one in the lounge (yes Victorian floorboards with big gaps between), and they do catch them.

A tip from the pest control guy at the council was to get the carpets steam cleaned, this should kill anything that is eating or nesting there. Our light coloured moths hae been replaced by dark brown ones in the last week.. I think they are just as capable of eating fine wares.

Traps are great, but get plenty of them, perhaps one in each wardrobe too... Its expensive to keep up the fight against these uninvited and unwanted guests..

Outside our house, and along our (tree-lined) street, there are hundreds of tiny moths flying around (mostly during the day). Does anybody know what they are? They look a little like clothes moths, but they seem to live outdoors (though many have since made it into our house and seem content to sit on the walls and ceilings).

I really welcome all the product advice. Thanks all!

I haven't had any holes in clothes, yet, that I know of, but have loads of the blighters taking quite a fancy to different parts of the property. Not sure about the different kinds and what they each do (and to what if any degree they overlap in their liking for different things). I kill a fair few by clapping my hands, but imagine that by then they may have done damage.

I am very careful about keeping woolies and silks in carefully shut furniture.

We've got them here in Barry Road too

Been here for two years but not noticed any clothes damage as such

I heard the best cure to get rid of them is to rip the head off a live chicken then turn to face the East chanting "Umbongo, moth go-go"

I can't find where East is so I just live with them

wd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Outside our house, and along our (tree-lined)

> street, there are hundreds of tiny moths flying

> around (mostly during the day). Does anybody know

> what they are? They look a little like clothes

> moths, but they seem to live outdoors (though many

> have since made it into our house and seem content

> to sit on the walls and ceilings).

Taking a wild stab in the dark could I suggest they're... moths?

We live on Barry Road and unfortunately have the food-loving moths. Made a 'shaker' type thing for my daughter to take to school with rice in a jar a few weeks ago (they were doing some experiment about sound or something). She was cleaning out her satchel yesterday and the (thankfully sealed) jar was a crawling mass of moths and sort of web-type stuff. Set me up nicely for 'The Shining' later that evening I can tell you.

LondonVillageLifer Wrote:

> We live on Barry Road and unfortunately have the

> food-loving moths. Made a 'shaker' type thing for

> my daughter to take to school with rice in a jar a

> few weeks ago (they were doing some experiment

> about sound or something). She was cleaning out

> her satchel yesterday and the (thankfully sealed)

> jar was a crawling mass of moths and sort of

> web-type stuff. Set me up nicely for 'The Shining'

> later that evening I can tell you.

ooooh, that's scary! You have to toss the rest of your rice as you have grain moths. They attack damp grain probably during the winter then hatch during the warmer months and the web stuff you see is left from the larvae boring into the grain. Best to keep grains (rice, oats, flour etc) in sealed containers or zip lock bags in a cool area (not next to fridge or cooker). Makes for a great science project for the kiddies, but not in the kitchen! Good luck!

Recommendations:

1) What kistanbul said below.

2) Or get it from the wild and dry it over an oven OR go to PeterJones type places or DIY store and buy some. Certaibly works in our wardrobes.

3) Also, for summer months put the winter bedding in hoover suction bags (available from Peter Jones type shops and I think I saw some in Woolworths) where you seal the bedding/clothes in a bag and then get the hoover attachment over the hole and it sucks the air out, saving lots of space, but also then bugs can't get in.

4) AND have a cat! Woke up this morning (cue for a song) and the remains of about four very large moths littered the carpet.

kistanbul Wrote:

> Buy a big bag of dried lavender from ebay/craft

> shop. Fill old tights/socks with it and put them

> everywhere - wardrobes, under beds and sofas etc.

> Works a treat at keeping them away.

The top end of Barry Road is rife with moths too. I've got loads of pheromonal moth traps dotted around the house. I like to do a daily survey of the moth traps and watch the little buggers fluttering to their death stuck to the sticky piece of paper. I only take such delight in their demise as they have chewed through a couple of wool tops since I've been living here.

Travelimo Wrote:

> However, either they've all vanished from south

> London, or I've found a solution - Moth Guard

> spray from Lakeland. I haven't read the label, so

> don't know what nasties are in it. However, one

> application on the carpets (the breeding ground)

> over a month ago, and I haven't seen a single moth

> since...nor has my friend who also tried the

> spray.

Had this reply (eventually) from Lakeland:

Thank you for your email. We've looked into this for you and the Moth Guard does contain chemicals (pyrethrine, piperonyllbotoxid) as well as the natural plant extracts.

As always, if there's anything else we can help you with, please do let us know. You can email us at [email protected] or call our customer services team on 015394 88100. We're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will be happy to help.

Kind regards

Sue Williams

Customer Services

• 7 months later...
If anyone wants to buy dried lavender flowers in bulk to keep moths away, I suggest buying them at Baldwin & Co Healthfood shop on Walworth Road. Not quite East Dulwich, I know, but it's a lovely shop that's been in Walworth Road since 1844 - and their prices are usually competitive.

I have murdered 3 of the little gits this week, first of this year.

Playing havoc with the carpets, I shall have to replace them with nylon ones next time.

I dont buy woolly jumpers anymore, I have turned to muppet skin (fleeces).