tramps on whateley road........

If people are behaving 'trampishly' or 'tramplike', annaj I can see no harm in that description.

If they are behaving like you and/or me annaj, then I would take issue with the scribe and I would defend us most vigorously.

As for the problem itself - if the council and police "know" about the situation, does anybody have any record as to what steps have been taken - ie what was the councils's official reply. What was the police' official reply? Has anyone got these or are all of the exchanges heresay?

Taking a stance of "why are they allowed to get away with x while we law-abiding (yeah right - every single one of us is a lawbreaker) tax-payers have to put up with it" is just unhelpful. If complaints have been made and are upheld then due process will sort it out.

Can someone describe exactly who is being spoken of? I didn't realise it referring to someone who is actually a tenant in a permanent (not of the cardboard construction) property!? I thought we were in fact talking about a 'man of the street'/tramp, or whatever the term is these days...

It's about some bad eggs at the Lordship Lane end of Whately road KK.

Although they have a house, they spend most of their time sitting outside throwing abuse at passers-by.

Once one of the blokes was outside wearing a bra which he seemed inordinately proud of.

AcedOut wrote:Can someone describe exactly who is being spoken of?

There are a couple of ne'er do wells, living in this road who belligerently give passing individuals verbal grief because you have walked or driven, within yorping distance of them, whilst they are sitting on their stoop.

If they can't help their behaviour - if it's Tourettes, for example - then perhaps they deserve a bit of sympathy; if they know exactly what they're doing, and are just doing it to wind us locals up, they should be brought to book.

I wonder if the council tells them off for not sorting their cans from their bottles?

My 4 year old boy asks me every time to cross the road before we get near that house, he says the people there 'scare me Daddy'.

Though I try to explain to him that drunkards (druggies ?) screaming 'Paedophile' at me when I walk past with him is not intended to cause him any harm, he just does not see it that way.

Nor when I walk past the house wearing a pink shirt and someone there shouts 'Gay boy !' is any harm intended either I presume.

It's just my lot (and my son's) that we have to bear that abuse because we live nearby.

I wouldn't dare to complain about it because that would be stepping above my station as a normal citizen and I may be left open to cries of 'intolerance' - especially from EDF posters.

I haven't had the misfortune to know these people - however I do think that 'tolerance' can go too far. I do not know if these people are indeed under the influence of drink or drugs, whether they have a mental disorder that causes their behaviour or whether they are simply 'having a laugh'.

However I can see that this behaviour is causing a lot of fear and unhappiness and with that comes anger, and if we are being persuaded by some to emphasise with the instigators of this situation I also think we should show a bit of empathy with the victims.

Personally I don't know how I'd react to being insulted by my neighbours as went about my daily business, probably if it only happened once or twice I'd try and chalk it down to experience, but if it was happening day in and day out and members of my family were being intimidated then just maybe I would come out with strong words on a forum which I felt would be a 'safe haven'.

I don't like stereotypes and I don't like victimisation, however I think we must be careful about who actually feels that they are the victims here.

Tramps, druggies, ASBOs, PC-gone mad etc etc

Oh ffs this is ridiculous. No one (including me) is attempting to stifle free speech or curtail your "rights" as a citizen or any of that bollocks. What a few people, including myself, have objected to is the rather unpleasant tone some of the discussion has taken.

When you sign up to the forum you agree to abide by its rules which clearly state (see Sean McG's post above) not to use threatening language - something that has been happening in the two previous posts on this matter which the Admin has sensibly decided to lock-down.

Christ-on-a-bike, it's like

in here.

They sound awful, I feel sorry for those who have to deal with them.

While I don't agree with the tone of some of the posts or the title of the thread, I think people being harrassed are within their rights to discuss it.

Or Monty-Python

KidKruger, I totally see where you're coming from, however I think interested people are just trying to

a) keep the tone reasonable

b) protect the forum from potential harm should those in question (or an opportunist solicitor) read said discussions and slap a defamation/libel order against the forum.

Has anyone tried complaining to the Environmental Health Department of the Council who could go and visit them and tell them to sstop what they are doing. Then it might be ascertained whether or not they have mental health problems. Perhaps they are living in some sort of hostel?

kford wrote:If they can't help their behaviour

They only call out when someone is passing not randomly.

I felt like kidkruger's boy I did not want to pass their place again so I diverted to using CP rd and NX rd.

Why should we be subject to this behaviour and change our routes because of a couple of low-lifes rule.

tenants on whateley road have had letters from the local police about these people. we were asked if we had any problems with "them". i personally was told the council do want to evict "them" because of their anti social behaviour.

there is always some sort of commotion going on in their part of the street, lucky for me i live fairly close to them!!!!!(td)

last thursday the police just walked into their house & were trying to reason with them &

on saturday night the police were there with sniffer dogs! you can't help but know whats going on because because they are sooooo loud!!!

it really does not bother me about what they do, but when i or my children have to hear them & what they've got to say, its really not nice!

if you really wanna know how they behave, try taking a walk down whateley rd, from lordship lane, on a nice summers day. they are guaranteed to be out there, you've also got a good chance of them hurling abuse at you!!

it's funny .. I've always been pleasant to them .. I've smiled and said hello when I passed .. I've stepped out of their way if they're having difficulty walking and do you know what .. they are perfectly civil to me, even cordial at times.

Alcoholism is a disease, as is drug addiction, and I am not implying that they are either but those are the assumptions being made - some people are born with less advantages than others - fiscal and mental advantages in life and dumb luck are factors in where people are.

These threads make me feel sick. God you should be ashamed of yourselves.

A couple of years back we and our neighbours had some similar problems.

We were at the end of our tethers, and in the end involved the Housing Association of the people in question. It was very difficult to get anybody to take responsibility for addressing the issue, but after a lot of effort we eventually did.

Whatever was done (and I think it may have involved adjustment of medication) the issue was completely sorted. The people still live there and all is sweetness and light :)

Whilst having every sympathy with those whose genes or upbringing have predisposed them to have particular difficulties, it does not mean that their neighbours' lives should be made unpleasant. There has to be some kind of balance, and in the Whateley Road instance, from what has been said above, it seems that there isn't.

'These threads make me feel sick. God you should be ashamed of yourselves.'

Ok, so I should feel happy that my sister is scared to walk home along that road, since last time she was shouted at, called names I won't repeat on here, and followed home.

Shall we just put up and shup then? How 21st century....

This is Southwark's 24 hour antisocial behaviour and noise hotline 020 7525 5777. Call them if you have a problem. The PC brigade on this thread clearly do not live on Whateley Road. I do, these people are rude, obnoxious, noisy and wait for it...anti social

Since there is a cop shop in Lordship Lane on the corner of Whateley Road, can't someone get the Old Bill to pop along and obtain some first hand evidence with a view to prosecuting these people, if (and I emphasise 'if') they are making a nuisance of themselves? I speak as someone who has not had the fortune or misfortune to encounter them (these people that is, not the Old Bill).

Or is indeed the cop shop still actually functioning in any way?