Distressed dog

Poor animal. There's no need for anyone or anything living to be forced to suffer or not be fully hydrated and a whining noise is a horrible but necessary cry for help. Well done first mate for doing so much to help. Lets hope the RSPCA will get a case together and get the poor thing into care. As for the comments by silverfox, uncaring, offensive, trolling - how would you like to be left suffering and have no one help you? Probably best you keep your comments to yourself if you can't contribute with anything useful.

Louisa.

I wish I could come and help you first mate but with baby in tow would not be ideal! At least you have been able to see her and given her some water. I really hope the RSPCA get someone out to rescue her soon, what sort of people would leave a dog in these conditions! Perhaps she is stolen, hopefully she is microchipped. I'll check back on here later and hope to read that she has been rescued from these awful conditions.

She is panting heavily, as dogs do when they are very distressed, plus the room is very hot.

She is also totally exhausted and everytime I go in she slides to the floor and sleeps for a few secs and then jerks awake.

Dogs are highly social animals, to put her into solitary like this for now 24 hours (without water, if I hadn't been there)is incredibly cruel.

I hope the local RSPCA are reading this. I've put in 5 long calls since yesterday evening and still no sign of them.

Come on RSPCA, a dog is suffering here, what's the delay?

I have taken photos of the dog, the room and other rooms with dog shit in them, just to have something on the record.

Have you phoned the police? I think they are the only ones who, together with the RSPCA, would legally be able to rescue the dog. They may also be able to give you some guidance on what to do next. Also what about Battersea Dogs Home - they too must be able to give you some guidance on this?

By the way, I think you are brilliant in trying to help this little dog. Will be following this thread until hopefully there is a satisfactory outcome.

Thanks everyone for your support.

The 'owners' have finally returned but there is an ongoing discussion between us about the dog and her future. There are complicating factors, which I cannot post and I need to find out more. I only hope that this little dog is still around tonight.

The RSPCA have still not shown up.

I have had a number of conversations with the police, who felt unable to intervene. Southwark noise was, obviously, only really interested in the decibels and impact on my ears. Both said this was a matter for the RSPCA.

I have also left messages with the landlord and with Catch 22, neither has replied.

All this gives an interesting insight into how things work or rather don't work. As ever, self initiative is really the only option.

Edited to say, did I really just post 'self initiative'- I must be tired!

Great work first mate - its people like you who don't give up and see an animal as a 'life' and not a nuisance.

hope the RSPCA rescue, clean her up, give her shelter, food and warmth and find her a loving home she deserves.

:)

agree well done first mate, a similar situation in which I ended up threatening to call south london press to let them know how unhelpful the RSPCA can be, its ok saying they will have nothing to investigate, what are they waiting for, the dog to die, and how is this affecting the dog itself, suffering and stress will not make for a good dog in the future. if there is any help I can give please let me know - do not live fare.

first mate Wrote at 11:06 AM

-------------------------------------------------------

> She is panting heavily, as dogs do when they are

> very distressed, plus the room is very hot.

>

> She is also totally exhausted and everytime I go

> in she slides to the floor and sleeps for a few

> secs and then jerks awake.

>

> Dogs are highly social animals, to put her into

> solitary like this for now 24 hours (without

> water, if I hadn't been there)is incredibly

> cruel.

Was it definitely 24 hours? Your first post was only twelve hours earlier and said "For the last hour, at least, a dog has been distress barking and whining."

peristalsis, another local also heard her whining and yelping and said it had started yesterday afternoon, much earlier than I had heard it. The owners did not show until late morning/luchtime today- so yes, bar our intervention, she'd been alone in an airless room without water for around 24 hrs- but even 12 hrs is way too long.

Anyhow, I don't want to get on my high horse, I just want to make sure the dog is okay, and that is what I'm focussing on.

what would happen if we all rang in? if nothing good happens soon and in any future cases it might shift someone into action, I donate to these people, will be letting them know that wont be happening anytime soon