On Holiday and came home to open backdoor

My boyfriend and I have been to spain for a week, forgot to cancel the milkman so the bottles were outside (clear signal that no one is home!). When we got in the backdoor was open to our garden. We forgot to lock it :-( But nothing had happend. East Dulwich is not such a bad place after all!!!

If it's your back door, maybe it doesn't make much of a difference whether it's locked or not... I mean, if a potential burglar notices you're away, and goes to snoop around your back garden, the chances are that if he's got that far he'll just break in anyway.

Open or unlocked window/door = no insurance payout. Be very careful!

I'm considering a fully security upgrade of my place. Alarms, door reinforcement, concealed cctv, the lot! If anyone is experienced in this or has anyone then can recommend, then please PM me.

AcedOut do you really think that's necessary? I mean what part of the world do you live in where home security to the max is needed?

Don't get me wrong I totally agree you can never be too careful and all that. Just wondered if your particular neck of the woods had big issues with crime?

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> makes a difference to the insurance company!

True!

I guess I was just trying to point out the probability of getting burgled if your backdoor is unlocked is probably quite close to the probability of getting burgled if your backdoor is locked.

Went out for the day here in Nunhead. Left the front door wide open. Returned to find everything in order except for a note from the local Police suggesting we close it next time and remove our key cars from the hooks in the hall.

And that was before the Home Sec. and armed officers moved in to the area ensuring even better protection.

i constantly leave my car unlocked due to poor memory, but it's made me feel more safe living in ed as nothing happens. until this week though when someone rifled through the contents. the shameful thing is they took nothing. my car contents are obviously worth nothing to the local scallys.

my car spent at least 6 weeks with one of the back windows open about an inch last year - kept thinking there was something wrong as it sounded funny (...like a window was open even!) but didn't work it out for ages!!

Someone broke into my flat, took everything, then before I got back they replaced everything, exactly everything, making it look like nothing happened. All that was different was the cat had turned over. You wait till I find out who did that!

But anyway, I recommend www.immobolise.com and if you go to the other thread about burglaries I wrote about this and the local police ward panels and how to get involved.

Will you guys all please give your addresses and the location of your cars to the local criminal fraternity. That way they can happily ply their trade without having to go to all the effort of breaking windows etc. It will save an awful lot of time and money.