Adventure bar - East Dulwich (Lounged when no longer about same)

James

TheePope - SPOT ON! This forum or ANY forum is never going to represent a balanced demographic of the area. Most of the views expressed on here are from people no doubt sitting at their desks at work with 24/7 internet access. Not everyone has that luxury.

[Edited this many times, as I am a Muppet]

Sorry, perhaps I'm making too big a point of it, but comments like those above that "people are the sorts

> who actually chose for themselves where they would > like to live rather than just flock to where

> everyone else is. There is a certain psychology > involved in that and it is evident in the > character of the area" just make me laugh. It comes across as patronising, sanctimoniouos and elitist in my reading. This forum appears dominated by a number of posters who post regularly and would seem to share similar views (in short liberal bourgouise, anti-chain*, anti-consumer, anti anything populist (because of course popular = naff and you want to be seen as different and above the hoi-polloi).

Anyhow that's my two pennies.

Unless of course it's M&S, Green & whatever etc......

I bottled it/ couldn't be arsed in the end: I had a rough day at work and was looking appropriately scruffy when I was given a brief description of it so that I could make an informed decision. As a life-long hater of Hollyoaks, and someone who grew up in Bromley and didn't like that much more, I just couldn't face the whole concept.

Not going to leave it at that, tho - will find out for myself another time.

Opening nights are always a bit more dressy etc than things end up staying, so may give it a week or 2 and then try it. (Although reports here of cocktail quality/strength are alarming...)

TheePope Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Blah blah blah blah.

Don?t take it so seriously.

It was just an observation mainly based on how my friendship group has dispersed around London. I wasn't trying to say anything about myself or anyone else for that matter.

Go on then, I'll bite...

Given that many of these posters (safe to include me in that group have been around since close to the beginning of the forum what would you have us do? Leave?

The rest of your statement is just rash over-generalisation

LIberal bourgoise = lazy and clich?d right-wing accusation - what does it MEAN?

Anti chain? Usually - but I can put a pretty good argument as to why? But it's not a cast-iron rule.

Anti consumer? What does that even mean? We are all consumers surely. But I am against a pound sign on every single thing on the planet yes. Is that bad?

Anti anything populist? Good luck coming up with evidence of that - ANYTHING???

As for not everyone having the "luxury" of internet access and the time to access it regularly.... hmmm - not sure i agree with that. I would argue that some people use the internet for other uses than others. It reminds me of the bitching when that woman won the million quid on Who Want To Be a MIllionaire - she was already well off why couldn't someone poor have won it? Well she was well off partly because she did things like read, travel, digest information etc... DOes that make her elitist? Patronising?

Jeremy - shocking! Mine was in Berlin. They may know how to party out there but make cocktails, they can't (well where I went anyway).

Hollyoaks... now I'm going to have to wash my mouth out! I went to a charity ball a few months ago and had the displeasure of sitting next to a table with a couple of male 'actors' from there. What a bunch of prats (I'll save on the expletives)! One guy won the auction for a Brian Lara signed cricket bat for around ?600 and just didn't stop going on about it - calling all his friends to let them know how he couldn't believe how much he'd spent etc. Completely did my head in.

Luxury of the internet 24/7 is what I'm talking about. Plumbers, electricians, teachers, nurses, doctors, drivers etc would all have a hard time during the day wouldn't they so they're unable to join in with a continuous 'conversation', hence their opinions/comments will be less frequent than others.

Sean - If you're anti-chain, does that also make you anti-Capitalist!? Just wondering, what with your job and all. ;)

A supercilious pedant writes...

It is not "the hoi polloi" we intellectually arrogant elitist snobs look down upon from our lofty heights, just hoi polloi

SimonM (Who misses the glory glory days of the King's on the Rye with its his'n'hers stripper nights....now there was class!)

Wondered if you'd pick up on that AO!

I'm not anti either - as such. I am anti unrestrained capitalism. Doesn't make me a commie or anything but I am uncomfortable with the way large companies infiltrate every aspect of our lives. I'm not against anyone making money but I am against the arrogance that comes with too much money

A petty example - sponsors dictating not just what can be sold at sports stadiums but what can actually be worn and consumed - anyone remember the dutch fans who all had to take off their trousers before they could watch the game? They had taken to wearing these orange trousers as part of supporting Holland but when Fifa saw they had a different sponsor's name on them they forced the fans to leave or take trousers off - What irks me most is that it has become "Weird" to even question companies when they throw their weight around like this

Of course there are much more powerful and scary reasons for my suspicion of too much power but I'll come back to them another time

EAST DULWICH FORUMITES GIVE LUKE WARM RESPONSE TO CLAPHAM COCKTAIL BAR SHOCKER.

Right, well I didn't go because I worked late but driving past I saw Sean MacGhabhann (looking dapper but slight worse for wear given supposedly weak cocktails)and Whistling Man both out in force.

Both surely vying for the title of The Most Ubiquitous Man in East Dulwich.

Ubiquitous: adj. "existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresent"

Pope (good name), I think chains are great, and I post on here all the time.

I was only in there 10 minutes, and will probablt try again once the initial rush dies down. I could definitely taste alcohol in my cocktail, but just didn't really "dig" the place. Can't understand why they made the bar so small either!

Brendan, I got a look from the doorman too, put me off a bit, but then I was looking out for my dealer, so he had a point! :-S Seriously, he probably just has a problem with strikingly attractive 30ish blokes!

I like the sound of all the girls there actually although now that's been broadcast here I expect Friday night to be an testosterone- fest.

Biggest disappointment is reading about Aced Out's Mojito given the thread back in April which asked Adventure "Are you going to serve the worst Mojito in South London?".

Yes.

I was one of the unfortuntate Mojito drinkers last night - and I have to say having tried many of the mojitos available in London (!) it was pretty rubbish - a very disappointing 1st drink from them!

I agree with everything MikeSe22 said a while ago.... could be a great venue - just such a shame the actual bar serving area is so small.... it didn't help that there was the option to sit at the bar - not great when they are queing 3 deep behind them...

Kind of place I'd have loved 10 years ago (when I did frequent Clapham etc!) but now I like it to be a little more laid back!

Oh - and ladies - the loos are OK too!

I will give it a 2nd chance in a few weeks though when hopefully it will have calmed down a little - and they can make a decent mojito!