Threatened with knife by Goose Green (Lounged)

seanmlow

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Repeated stats show that police foot patrols do

> little or nothing to reduce crime. The average

> foot patrol sees one crime being committed every

> fours years and even then isn't guaranteed to

> catch the perpitrator.

Surely the point of foot patrols is to deter criminals from committing crime - therefore if they are successful, they shouldn't see crime being committed - ithey are acting in a 'security guard' type role.

When the effectiveness of the police is based on how many crimes they clear up, I can understand why they would rather not be on foot patrol and thus deter crime...

a quick google of opinions on police foot patrols brought up this, which sounds quite convincing to me:

The foot patrol officers have

been very effective at reducing disorderly conduct and harassment of residents by certain

street people, and at reducing intimidation of residents by gang members. The cutback in

foot patrols has led to a resurgence of these problems, which have a substantial effect on the

lives of Mount Pleasant residents.

The policy of the Metropolitan Police Department to give officers sitting in squad cars

awaiting radio calls for service is an inferior use of limited personnel resources. In most

cases, officers responding to calls arrive long after the incident in question, and can do little

but take a report. This is ineffectual in deterring crime or capturing offenders. Conversely,

police officers can be very effective at deterring bad behavior on the street, by creating an

atmosphere of discipline on the street, persuading would-be offenders to cease their bad

conduct, or go elsewhere. Furthermore, officers put in close contact with the residents, rather

than sitting in isolation inside a squad car, create an atmosphere of trust and legitimacy with

the residents, including some who tend to distrust authorities.

ANC1D asserts that it is in the interest of the police, as well as the neighborhood, to assure

full staffing of the foot patrol effort in Mount Pleasant.

> They are one of the most ineffectual methods of

> policing and yet people still clamour for them.

> Bizarre.

thanks louisiana, i still live in the optimism that its an 'if' rather than a definite 'when'. No offence meant in describing levels of mugging, i just link it in as the same thing purely because i'm being asked in an itimidating manner to do something that i don't want to do, even though no actual robbery is taking place.

I think aggressive begging can be close to mugging.

Myself and 2 friends had a couple of guys walk up to us in Brixton and "ask" for ?2. Initially we said No, but after they blocked our path and indicated that they would have some additional people there very quickly we just handed over.

I think this sort of thing was still a mugging and a crime (the threat, even if verbal), but not quite the same as being robbed at close quarters with 10 inch kitchen knife: Which also happned to me in Brixton.

Vital point here is surely that it happened a month ago. But apparently then it wasn't worth posting. Now in the 'current climate' it becaomes post-worthy, adds to the growing hysteria and whips it up further. We're on a media-led merry-go-round folks, they'll move on from knife crime soon enough. Probably to floods if the weather doesn't improve.

Sean/Jamma -

What are you on about?

Am I not allowed to start another thread then? Surely if I had added it to another I would have been accused of treating all instances as the same?

Also, I didn't put it on ago as it happened to my brother, so wasn't up to me to put it on here without asking him. He only became aware of the forum recently - hence I put it on now.

''We're on a media-led merry-go-round folks, they'll move on from knife crime soon enough''

...........perhaps, but should we not voice our concerns on here then, for fear of adding to 'hysteria'. Dear me.

Sean eile

As a general rule of thumb, starting multiple threads about the same topic is a no-no. The Administrator has had to lock several threads recently (one of the school ones springs to mind) for the very reason. It's not because of the topic, but the fragmentation of the conversation.

I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you specifically

As for the crime/knife topic itself. Things ARE getting a bit out of control and a tone of hysteria is building. I'm not trying to belittle anyone who has suffered at the hands of muggers or threatening characters - I have been threatened several times in the last 20 years in London (not once in ED funnily enough) and my best friend was stabbed and hospitalised some time back. But that was in Ireland, in the city known as "Stab City" - Limerick. Even they seem to have some pride and try and contextualise however

Limerick forum re local stabbings

When everyone is running around going "what IS to be done"? it can be hard to see the wood for the trees. I think Jamma's prediction will prove correct - levels of stabbings will continue (with up and downward trends from time to time) but the current media focus will move on and there will be less focus from posters about it as well. I'm not sure what dwelling on it as a topic achieves. I haven't heard any practical suggestions, but lots of hand-wringing. I can buy the SLP if I want that

kford Wrote:

> In ED?

No, not in ED, kford. You can rest easy :). Another city entirely. Three times in one year, and each worse than the last.

I was unfortunately responsible for a brief rise in the crime rate here, however, when an agent let my property to a low life. After he'd done a runner the police popped around, interested in discussing his whereabouts, as they were looking to pin a GBH charge on him (serious attack on a bus driver).

its not just more knife crime for east dulwich. there have been more robberies, more assaults, more car breakins, etc. i look at lordship lane and wonder how it can sustain so many new boutiques while we head into a recession and while rents are so expensive. and note all the new estate agents (even in camberwell, where i live). money follows money (even if there's generally less of it) and that also means more moneyed places will attract crime like a magnet.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> That wouldn't do - I can't wear red with my hair!

a chapter was set up in london way back - i remember seeing a few on the tube from time to time, didn't last very long i don't think

Even better we could set up our own gang. We have the Catford Wildcats, The Deptford Ghetto Boys, The Peckham Boys, The Muslim Boys, we could be the East Dulwich Inconvenienced, Our colours could be pastel and our gang sign a limp wrist?

I'm in.

We need to be armed. But with something that would be representative of the forum and East Dulwich as a whole.

Does laconic wit and a dislike of children in pubs ward off knife attacks?

I reckon a stale Kentish flute from the deli might do some damage.

This is much better than Neighbourhood Watch.