Empty Shops

On Uplands Road there are two premises vacant - the one next to Blue Mountain has intrigued me for some while. Is anything ever going to happent there?

On opposite side of the road - what's taking over at what was Jeannie Avente - lots of interior work being doen?

I asked the guys who used to run 'Strands' barbers about the shop next to Blue Mountain a few years back.

I was told that the people who used to run the shop there suffered a robbery which created some disillusion about retail in general. The shop remains theirs, but they refuse to open it again (or make available to other retailers) in protest about the crime.

Strands claimed they knew about this as they'd requested to use the space for overspill during the Saturday afternoon rush for a trim.

Been in ED for 9 years and it has always been as you see it today. When they were painting recently saw the inside. Looked like someone's residential study - loads of book cases full of books and a desk. Always assumed it had been residential for a very long time (like some of the old shops turned in to houses in ED). Any answers on what is happening to Jennie Avent?

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would like to know what the situation is with

> Dulwich Janitorial Supplies on Lordship Lane which

> has been empty for years.

Somebody lives there, the old shop will no doubt eventually get done up as living space, can't believe it will ever go back to being a shop. Karter knows something about the background as I recall.

Snoozey - it's starting to happen now....keep your eyes on the next set of unemployment figures....the icy fingers are stretching

*tries desperately to think of better metaphor

** realises it's not a metaphor

*** goes to pub

I love Golden City! It's like an art installation - every now and then something in the "display" subtly changes. Admittedly this is normally mattresses coming and going but every now and then the resident artist installs a cat for a day or so. Brilliant - please don't let it change (too much).

I had thought the flat above the Golden City was unoccupied and asked Southwark's Empty Homes Unit about it, but it seems that it is actually occupied. What amazes me is that with all the powers which local authorities have at their disposal, seemingly they can do nothing about commercial properties which are unoccupied and left to fall into disrepair and ultimately become eyesores. I find it hard to believe that this is Parliament's intention.

Recent changes mean that owners of commercial premises are unable to claim what amounted to an effective exemption from business rates simply because they are not operating a business on those premises. A sort of 'sell up or shell out' requirement.

The idea, I think, is to make it much harder to leave business premises dormant and suffer no penalty. In the current climate that might seem a little harsh but in the longer term it seems like the right thing to do.

How dare people decide to stay in a property after it has ceasd to be a commerical outlet.

and to not paint it every year either

it brings down the image of the area and more importantly, the value of my property

Hangings too good for them

drive them out!