ladybirds infestation!

loveED86

my daughters bedroom has been taken over by ladybirds! About 6 are grouped in the corner by the window (inside) and a couple crawling along the floor. I think a bit extreme for pest control (dont think they deal with ladybirds anyway!)but how do I get rid, my daughter will soon refuse to sleep in her room if any more arrive, guess they're hibernating but they will need to find somewhere else!

Why don't you move them to a room where they can stay over the winter, they are good insects after all, helping to get rid of greenfly in the garden, maybe move them to the shed? I know it is irrational but if they were spiders I woul squish them, or get Hubby or eldest Son to remove them, (but that usually involves chasing me round the house pretending to throw said spider at me, and/or falling to their knees and screaming NO...NO..AAAAARGH! IT'S GOT ME!!!!) Wearing a bit thin now guys, after 24 years of it FFS!

They're gathering for hibernation, apparently. For at least the second time this year, which suggests the weather isn't helping.

If they decide to hibernate indoors then, assuming you can afford heating, they're likely to wake up too early and die for lack of food. If you're in that lucky position but still have concerns, you can make a home for them with something waterproof (a plastic box or bottle will do) filled with corrugated cardboard. Put the ladybirds in the box (gently), and then stick it in the garden.

If you're not, then it won't matter much. They don't do much when they're hibernating, so you needn't worry about the noise or the furniture.

Olbas oil is the traditional fix for this common issue, however as it can be quite difficult to procure at this time of year don't forget the obvious but slightly less convenient option of carving divots every few inches until half way up the frame.

ClareC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why would anyone vacuum ladybirds? Unbelievably

> cruel and totally unnecessary. I'm shocked tbh

>

> Just move them carefully as per above, it's

> probably less effort than getting the Hoover out!

Agree - have had several and didn't occur to me to do something so cruel...just lifted them back out of the window. H

I'd think the small 'car' vacuums would be OK if you cleaned it first then released them outside.

if that's cruel what about this suggestion from pestcontrolsupplies.co.uk

"We can also suggest sweeping the bugs up and taking them to a local tip where they will be incinerated, ensuring that that particular group will not return to your home."

I have quite a few in my flat every year. Thought they came from terrace. I gently put them outside if I can get to them, but most are on ceiling. They disappear eventually, though found two on my pillow last year.

Olbas Oil is obtainable from Holland & Barrett and most good health shops so not difficult to find at any time of the year.

Gosh - a ladybird. Imagine if one of the terrified lady(bird) killers were to come across a False Widow...

However, I did notice loads on the pillars of the entrance to Nunhead Cemetery the other day. thought it might be the berries, but not seen anything like it! Not sure hoovering them up is the best plan though.