top ten films....

fiskaroo

Ted max, you raise an interesting point. I totally view Casablanca as a romantic movie as opposed to a resilience building, spirit raising, morale boosting war movie. However you are so right - apart from anything else, she does choose the war hero to help in his Resistance fighting at the end - cue Lockheed Martin. It is just more subtle than the typical aerodrome ones. Thank you for reminding me.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is seen by some as the best British movie so far. Interesting that A Canterbury Tale and Went the Day Well? are also quoted above. I've watched the former a couple of times in the last year and I do like the way the stereotypes are crafted.

I don't know if I could get to ten but I think my favourite of all time must be Seven Samurai. For poignancy I would have to go for Bicycle Thieves and, slightly out of left field, Etre et Avoir. The Purple Rose of Cairo is my favourite Woody Allen film but I haven't seen many of his more recent ones.

3 golden oldies that I've only seen for the first time since this thread started

12 Angry men

To kill a mockingbird (watched after reading the book for the first time. Love the book, love the film)

Brief encounter (wonder if the writer of Before Sunrise is a fan?)

The Ghost and Mrs Muir (with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison)

Brief Encounter

La Gloire de mon Pere

Schindler's List

Amelie

Look at Me (French film Comme une Image by Agnes Jaoui who also stars)

Hedd Wyn (Welsh film nominated for best 'foreign' film Oscar! Bloody cheek)

Hilary and Jackie

Wall-E

Lemon Tree (palestinian-jewish Israeli collaboration)