Chris Pretty on the closure of the Prettys Green Grocers on Northcross Road.

It's her shop. It's been like that for years. She made it clear she's happy and doesn't want to rent out the bottom half. So many busy bodies around here, if I was her I'd be at my window telling you nosey sods all to p^*$ off and do one. "Land banking" what a load of b@||@?%$.

Louisa.

daveybigpotatoes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Old lady deciding what she does with her shop = no

> one else's business.

> Investor deciding what he wants to do with his

> shop = crime of the century.

> It that a good synopsis?

Forget the little old lady bit, as that makes it too emotive. But for me, anyone living in a property they own, who choses not to allow a shop on the ground floor is within their rights legally and morally to do so.

An investor who buys up space and makes certain verbal promises is still within their rights to go back on their word, but it is morally questionable.

Either way though, I don't think these two cases can be compared like for like.

• 2 weeks later...

New post on Twitter by @madame_claude:

'Save pretty's fruit n veg... Email landlords Chris or rod @evanspearson.co.uk'

Would be a real loss if they closed. Overheard chat re poss relocation but at mo unlikely owing to extortionate rent/leases - e.g. Haus of Wood premises c.?48k. Unrealistic for most small businesses, sadly landlords getting greedy resulting in empty premises such as former 'Scooped' on Melbourne Grove nr ED station :(

the rents being asked for are ludicrous. Yes the area is up and coming ( or up and come?) However it is still just a local high street. ED is not Notting Hill ,Primrose Hill,Heath Street in Hampstead etc etc.

Small independent businesses are still struggling and despite the up-turn in the property market most working people are still having to keep a eye on their finances, so It bewilders me how the landlords can expect what are after all small local shops to turnover enough to be able to pay the rents demanded.

I estimate (working in retail as I do) that one would need to turn over in excess go 150k PA to be able to afford almost 50k rent, staff costs, insurance,stock,business rates etc etc,AND get any decent profit

I foresee LL and ED becoming a mix of chains and empty shops and all the nice interesting independents moving out to Sydenham at this rate.

In the case of the toyshop, they did move out and it's still not got a permanent tenant to replace it. Surely the landlord must be considering whether they've set the rent too high?

Otta Wrote:

> Well if the businesses all moved to cheaper

> properties, the landlord would probably be forced

> to drop the rent. However, in terms of location in

> Dulwich, that's a pretty hot spot.

NewWave Wrote:

> I foresee LL and ED becoming a mix of chains and

> empty shops and all the nice interesting

> independents moving out to Sydenham at this rate.

I think that crystal ball of yours is getting a bit ahead of itself... I don't think LL is the target for chains that some people seem to think. The units are small, and the area is not well connected. LL will probably get an M&S and a couple of other things at some point, but it's not about to become overrun with Topshop and Nandos.

Jeremy Wrote:

> NewWave Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I foresee LL and ED becoming a mix of chains

> and

> > empty shops and all the nice interesting

> > independents moving out to Sydenham at this

> rate.

>

> I think that crystal ball of yours is getting a

> bit ahead of itself... I don't think LL is the

> target for chains that some people seem to think.

> The units are small, and the area is not well

> connected. LL will probably get an M&S and a

> couple of other things at some point, but it's not

> about to become overrun with Topshop and Nandos.

I can see more of the 'niche' chains, Giraffe,Byrons,SpaceNK, Jack Wills,Neals Yard,Cath Kidson, Lola's Cupcakes etc....not as grim as Nandos and Top Shop which no doubt will head for Rye Lane once that area becomes more gentrified but they are chains none the less, no matter how 'tasteful' their product.

I'd rather go to Dr Boo, Roullier White,Mrs Robinson for that sort of thing any day.