Purse stolen at dulwich library junior room on 10 Feb

Ann16

Just a heads up for mums who go to dulwich library with children...

I was there with my son at noon and I put our coats and bags on the cushion after we got in. (Used purse before went it so it's def in my bag) It was really quiet and no more than 10 ppl including children were there. The librarian were helping us to reserve a long list of octonauts books so we were all facing the computer for quite a while.

Once I got home my bank called re suspicious activities on the debit card and that was a bit after 1pm. Clearly someone got my purse and went to a nearby supermarket to try take cash out. Called police and cancelled everything. But very annoyed as the purse has sentimental value as well.

It's a shame that it happened in a nice library with excellent stuff. Also, I can only remember seeing mums with young children and pushchairs there ... Hopefully the CCTV footage capture something useful

Just be aware

Hiya, really sorry to hear this happened to you.

I can empathise with getting lulled into a sense of "oh, no one will take my stuff" when we are in "kiddies" environment - unfortunately, seems the trust can be misplaced... might be worth looking in the nearby bins for the purse?

God people are callous. Can you not keep your backhanded, snide advice to yourselves for once?

Every burglary or mugging thread has a passive-aggressive insinuation of blame. Leaving your coat on a chair in a library isn't the same as leaving it on the table of a pub! 9 days out of 10 it would be fine, but this was just bad luck.

I speak with some authority as a librarian and I'm sorry to say that all the ones I've ever worked in (and even ones I just use) are major targets for thieves. People get distracted while they work or look for books/ help their children and thieves know it. And yes, we do our best but we're working too.

Never never leave your bag/ briefcase/ jacket unattended. Often the bag contains nothing valuable for a thief, merely your life's work, so people think no-one will take it. But they will

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think it's your fault, we don't all think the way that opportunistic theives do

Lynne

I use the library a lot and I wonder if thieves may target the junior section as there's a good chance you'll be distracted at some point. I stupidly managed to leave my purse behind when using the computers upstairs once (the kind of thing you do when you're stressed) and someone kindly handed it in, but anyone taking it would be more conspicuous up there I guess.

Oh, what is WRONG with people? If those people whose love to be Right On The Internet trumps their ability to sympathise with people ever become victims of crime (and it can happen to anyone, however careful you are), then I hope they won't come looking for support.

Ann, sorry this happened to you, and thanks for the reminder. It is very easy to forget about security when distracted.