ban cyclists from the road

the man with a van

I always signal when turning although several drivers I have been with don't- one said 'there is no-one around' but obviously there might be! I nearly mowed down 2 cyclists within 10 minutes of each other in back streets of Stockwell- both in dark clothing with no lights weaving in and out of cars, and they were both black. One of them had the cheek to bang on my car!

So let me see. How would you ban cyclists from the road? Would this need primarily legislation, current national powers (eg local roads could become part of the Strategic Road Network and be designated as motorways), or under local traffic order powers?

And who would take this decission - elected local politicians or national government. And how popular would this decision be? A vote winner? I dont't think even UKIP are that insane.

And where would this stop - clearly pedestrians would have to be banned, otherwise cyclists would simply carry their bikes. And there are no doubt certain powered two wheelers that are not classified as motorbikes, so they would need to be included.

I can't be asessd to read the rest of this thread so assume that is utter tosh, a wind-up or someone who has some serious behavioural issues.

Anyway, assuming that it is genuine, your first task would be to write to either your MP, asking him/her to raise with the Transport Secretary, or to your Councillor or the Mayor. I am happy to find out informally what the latter response would be.

You could speak to the rabid right wing press, the Mail being the obvious first choice, or try Clarkson who writes for the Sun. (warning, he is not the mesiah, just a very naughty boy. An alternative is Tony Parsons, another abnoxious arrrrs who seems to hate cyclists.

Absolutely no chance, London has clear policies and objectives to promote a modal shift away from the car by meeting cycling growth targets and (sorry Louisa) giving increased priority to buses

Also a growth in cycling is integral to the Mayor?s 'vision' for London.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't believe people are biting!

Always.

One day I'm going to start a thread about cycling through dog poo. I just need to see some on the pavement outside Iceland first...which needs to happen before they turn it into a Waitrose obviously as you'd never get dog poo outside Waitrose.

In other news, houses are getting more expensive apparently.

There's actually an interesting 'post' about the London plan. I went to an open event about the TfL's Roads Task Force on Monday. As a London cyclist of over 25 years, we are, and will remain, a minority. London is expanding both in terms of business and people, traffic is increasing, and at best congestion will stand still (no pun intended).

I am a member of Sustrans, LCC and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all and whilst it has got much better, and there are so many more cyclists on the street, most don't, and some see us as Mr White Van Man who started this thread.

Worse still, I cycle to the outer boroughs and it is far worse. My contacts in Bromley think bikes are only for kids or holidays.

I'll keep trying, but I doubt whether we will ever become Holland. Or some of the wonderful German towns like Cologne where there are brillaint cycle routes.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Surely everyone's still sleeping off the last thread.

Hardly, I got so excited I nearly had an aneurism.

Malumbu it's true that we have inherited a transport infrastructure that was engineered around personal car ownership during 1950s-1970s but this is not the intended model for London going forward.

Have a look at TfL's London Design Cycling Standards - clear intentions to change. Maybe not up Holland but not current London either.

Otta Wrote:

> I can't believe people are biting!

It's too funny Otta

man in a van + thread attacking cyclists + no punctuation + gramma

So much to bite at on so many levels

Ha ha !

Sorry to interrupt on this thread but Seabag If you're going to take the moral high ground on spelling and grammar you may want to at least attempt it yourself. Your nauseating attempts at 'normalising' your contributions to this forum are becoming tedious. Just saying :-)

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Sorry to interrupt on this thread but Seabag If

> you're going to take the moral high ground on

> spelling and grammar you may want to at least

> attempt it yourself. Your nauseating attempts at

> 'normalising' your contributions to this forum are

> becoming tedious. Just saying :-)

>

> Louisa.

Harsh(or did I miss a back story?).

LD yes there is a back story relating to a thread I created about a reserved parking space wit a wheelie bin. This Seabag person started making ludicrous statements and then copying and re-pasting edited versions of my previous comments. I decided to remove myself from the thread altogether as a result. This person has since, as RPC points out, been continuing with these rather dubious troll like posts, including the one above on this thread.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Sorry to interrupt on this thread but Seabag If

> you're going to take the moral high ground on

> spelling and grammar you may want to at least

> attempt it yourself. Your nauseating attempts at

> 'normalising' your contributions to this forum are

> becoming tedious. Just saying :-)

>

> Louisa.

Ha ha ha

Still sore about your silly parking thread then ?