Irish Shop to close

Tanza

I got a definite smile last Saturday, so I have no complaints. I have been taking two enthusiastic kids in there for the last few months for a Saturday morning treat, then over the road to Lucas.

I always thought the security grille made it look so unwelcoming, but I presumed it was attacked sometime in the 1980s and the owner never dared remove them as a result. With a little TLC it could have been more welcoming to all.

I hope someone enterprising might look at the Polish Shops, in Forest Hill for example, and build on their models to cater for the younger generation of Irish people (and help avoid kids assimilating to the point they don't connect strongly with their Irishness).

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I still miss Target Arms

Bob, i feel your pain.....

Cassie has been there for the last 18 years, and i remember her opening

Used it to buy the County newspapers to send back to my parents most weeks

Reminded me of many a village shop in Ireland when we used to spend the holidays over there

Often waited patiently to be served as she chatted to one or two of her customers, as that's how i've been brought up

It was a brilliant marketing ploy, as by the time it came to pay for the papers, I would have some black pudding, Emerald sweeties and a can of Cidona picked up as well - Genius !

Will miss it, as for so long it's been part of my routine

Even in the 80s - Camden, Holloway, Kilburn, Archway....whole swathes of London that were pretty Irish with many fantastic pubs.....sad that it's gone, and a whole subculture lost - but London changes as it always has

Exactly that quids.

Coming to England in the 60s, 70s and 80s was absurdly different to last 10 years

No internet, no access to Irish radio or tv, prohibitively expensive flights home. Ireland was a world away

Now... Meh. An hour away for cost of a few pints . No prejudice. Decent jobs and money.

Clinging to a different culture as was just isn't required

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> peckhamasbestos Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > have to find somewhere else to get my white

> > pudding :(

>

>

> Butchers up by The Plough has it.

Don't tell them Maxxi! Hidden gem is that butchers. Baffled as to why he's not busier as the rib of beef and chicken I've had from there is IMO better than WR and at about 25% less. Lovely guy too.