New independent cocktail bar in ED

Mr Petrov

Seabag, there's a bar in Tokyo a bit like that! Customers are handcuffed on arrival by a saucy female "warden", then taken to their "cell" where food and drinks are served. And I'm sure it's far from the strangest bar in Tokyo..

Paulipedia I was under the impression that House Of Tippler would be my biggest competitor in terms of cocktails and quality.

It will not be anything even remotely like Adventure bar or B@1, I am not targeting the 20 year olds that are up for a party night and dancing on tables and buying cheap two for one drinks, even though they are always welcome.

I think Paulipedia is quite close with the description:

Quality cocktails, sharing plates, no big meals. Think of a bar with exposed brick work, black and white pictures on walls nice leather seating areas, warm low lit place...and the atmosphere, with people behind the bar not just being employees but owners of the bar and loving what they do. This is why I want to open a bar in ED so that I would personally know the majority of the bars guests, to become a local bar, not a faceless bar somewhere in the city centre with different tourists every day.

Again we are at a stage, where we can make alterations to the concept, and any suggestions from your side will be considered.

I wouldn't even consider going to House of Tippler any more. Is it that different to how Liquorice used to be? Doesn't strike me as a place of quality. More cheap and cheerful.

Toast would be my default choice now. Knowledgeable friendly staff, good quality food and drinks, buzzy atmosphere. Friends who have lived here for the last 8+ years all go there now.

I would look to http://www.employeesonlynyc.com/, http://pdtnyc.com/ and Hix Bar in Soho for inspiration but you seem to be on that track anyway.

The holy grail is having something dark and cosy in winter and light and airy in summer, not sure if that's possible.

I've never found House of Tippler cheap and cheerful, although it is a comparative bargain by London standards.

It's much better than liquorish, mainly as it's more cosy and has more inventive cocktails. I'm not sure what else it would need to do to be considered 'a place of quality'!

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mr Petrov Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

>

> Think of a bar with exposed brick work,

>

> low lit place

>

> Been in a few places that fit that description..

> :)

>

> Hot & Cold Water... Running down the Walls.

>

> Foxy..

Sounds very much like where I work! Which, sadly, is not a cocktail bar (well, not when the boss is around ;-) )

So my top requests would be the following;

Seasonal cocktail list and regulars. Not too many on the menu though but obviously you can ask for anything.

Drinks, good quality so thinking Grey Goose, Peron, Havana Club, etc. Good selection of wines and beers and virgin cocktails (Lots of pregnant people here!!!)

Good music obviously.

A few crazy nights, a few chilled nights, maybe even close one night, give yourselves a break.

Maybe a Monday drink and food offer.

Impromptu happy hour, and a regular one.

Food wise personally I think Spanish tapas would work well. No one is really doing it on the main part of the Lane and the fast food revolution has been done to death. All the pubs cover the usual stuff. Menu could be kept pretty simple.

There are great suppliers near buy to get produce. It also ticks all the boxes in my eyes as you can have meat, fish, veg, bread, cheese dishes that don't have to cost the earth. Oh and padron peppers!

Dishes would come in two sizes.

A few sharing platters would be good so if you did want to go by yourself you could have a selection of a few things. Thinking people working in the day/or just want to go out by themselves would have a good option too.

Nice outdoor space,

Maybe once a month have a learn to how to make cocktails night. Could be quite fun.

Occasional lock in and parties.

Oh and someone serving who enjoys what they do!

Paulipedia after reading the above mentioned I wonder what is it that you do for a living?!

You sound like a person who knows a thing or two about the bar industry.

You are very close with your thoughts about the whole concept, we will be having cocktail masterclasses, as we will have some really cool bartenders from top central London establishments.

In terms of the dishes - spot on, spanish tapas will be on offer, with some minor tweaks.

Outdoor space - this will be down to the council, if they will allow me to use the outside area at the back of the premises, as currently it is not licensed, and there is not much space at the front,as you can imagine.

Now it's down to negotiations with the current owners....fingers crossed.

great way to lower the tone of any establishment... "happy hour". Especially the happy hour that isn't happy or an hour!

If prices and quality are reasonable you shouldn't have to entice customers through the door with offers like this. Please don't misunderstand my meaning, offers are all well and good and if used sparingly yet effectively can be successful but the use of the typical years old "happy hour" no... please don't do it! Too many regular offers also, for me, and I advise my own clients (not in the bar trade) against this, can either bring in the wrong kinda of crowd, those only coming in for that offer and will not become regulars when the offer is not on and also can devalue the product.

It's always difficult getting the right balance. Keeping a flexible and open mind even once you're set up is, as I'm sure you're already aware, key!

I think some food is better - might be easier for a late licence. Even if just charcuterie/cheese boards etc

There are some good 'local' cocktail bars elsewhere. Some still do draft beer though. 25 Canonbury Lane (I think has changed) was a decent example, or The Gallery in West Hampstead. Rapscallion in Clapham if still going...

It needs to be relatively accessible, both in price but 'concept' as well - so not overly complex ?12+service hotel bar-cocktails which take 10 minutes to make each.

I'd love somewhere which did proper Milanese/Turin-style aperitivo.

Sounds good so far, I agree a tapas offering would be cracking. Also, the provision of gluten free food in these parts is abysmal in this area (To clarify, I'm talking a gluten free burger bun rather than a being offered a burger without a bun - its possible to eat gluten free here but not easy to have a meal that is on par with a gluten'ed meal). I say this on here every time a new business asks for input, every time I's assured that it will be offered and every time it doesn't happen!

If you can feed me, a raving carnivore, my wheat intolerant but bread loving friend and our veggie friend on the lane (at a reasonable price) you are onto a winner :)

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I reckon the cinema opening will have a hugely

> positive effect on tippler

I thought the very same. Tippler has one of the friendliest welcomes and still does a class of drink you can't get anywhere else locally. There's talent behind the bar.

I agree with Paulipedia's posts.

We also only go to Toast, it's the best place around here by far, I also don't mind The Actress or The Clockhouse pubs.

I don't find The House of Tippler v appealing TBH...I think you can tell when a bit more thought has gone into the theme, quality of products, interiors, graphic design etc of a place, and that shines through when done well.

Also agree that cosy in the winter and outside tables facing the sun, or big skylights in summer would be awesome.

I think there's definitely room for another bar...not everyone who lives here has kids...I think a good daytime coffee place serving good brunches/eggs benedict/ interesting smoothies etc would also do brilliantly, don't know where you can combine this with your evening offering.

Good luck with it all :)

Paulipedia wrote:

I wouldn't even consider going to House of Tippler any more. Is it that different to how Liquorice used to be? Doesn't strike me as a place of quality. More cheap and cheerful.

Toast would be my default choice now. Knowledgeable friendly staff, good quality food and drinks, buzzy atmosphere. Friends who have lived here for the last 8+ years all go there now.

I would look to [www.employeesonlynyc.com], [pdtnyc.com] and Hix Bar in Soho for inspiration but you seem to be on that track anyway.

The holy grail is having something dark and cosy in winter and light and airy in summer, not sure if that's possible.

Ha, no I'm not in the industry. I'm a User Experience designer so basically design digital user interfaces which put customer experience first. Haven't worked in bar for about 15 yrs but still have a lot of experience drinking and eating in them :)

All sounds good though, will look forward to the opening. Is there a projected date yet?

This all sounds very exciting! We struggle for bars in ED (HoT is good every now and again) so always end up in Peckham Rye! Bar Story is our favourite..... Nice cocktails, great setting, outdoor space and quirky deco!

Hope the project goes well, we will be supporting your new bar opening.

I don't know how anyone can compare HoT to Liquorice. The cocktails I have had from the former have been in a league of their own. They know their stuff. Not sure if its still as good as haven't been there for a long time.

This new independent sounds like its aiming for the new york dimly-lit subterranean speakeasy bandwagon of the type frequented by tattooed hipsters.