LadyDeliah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it's in the bin, who would expect it to be

> still wanted?

>

> Personally I leave unwanted stuff that might be

> useful, by the side of my bin and it's always gone

> by the next day, but if someone wanted to root

> through the rest of my rubbish, why would I care?

> I don't want it and I'm not stupid enough to put

> anything with personal information on, in my bin

> or recycling.

Agree!

NunheadRising Wrote:

> These women have been doing the rounds in East

> Dulwich Nunhead Forest Hill area for months, there

> have been other posts about the same thing. Coming

> onto my property and taking anything without

> permission is theft. Don't be soft in your view of

> the world thinking they're not up to something

> dodgy, if you're not bothered by it then invite

> them in for a rummage through your house whilst

> they're at it.

My house isn't a rubbish bin, is yours?

I'm officially declaring the contents of my bin free for anyone to root around in, any time they feel like it, so long as they don't leave a mess.

With all the burglaries in the area I keep all my most prized possessions in a tin at the bottom of my bin (green one) in between collections. Figured it was the last place robbers would look. With this news I?m going to have to rethink my strategy.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> With all the burglaries in the area I keep all my

> most prized possessions in a tin at the bottom of

> my bin (green one) in between collections. Figured

> it was the last place robbers would look. With

> this news I?m going to have to rethink my

> strategy.

Try the brown bin. They won't look in there but remember to move it the night before collection.

I have no problem whatsoever with people going through my bins, one mans trash is another mans treasure and all that. As for inviting them in for a rummage around my house - that's where I tend to store items that I want to keep hold of so I'd rather they stuck to the bins.

Sue Wrote:

> They must be pretty desperate if they are going

> through bins to find clothes and shoes which

> aren't even good enough to take to a charity

> shop?

>

> If I'd known, they could have had a pair of shoes

> I've just binned because they had holes in :))

>

> ETA: But is there really a problem if they are

> "stealing" things which have already been thrown

> out? Unless you think this is a guise for looking

> for information to be used in identity theft?

Exactly!! If something is thrown in the bin and someone wants to make use of it, wats the problem? Lol how is that stealing.. We dont know peoples situations.

Wow I am shocked by the responses. How is it remotely relevant what ethnicity/ background the girls are. Again these are things that you have discarded in a bin. Is there any evidence from all these reports that any criminal activity has occurred. I applaud preventing waste and would be happy for anyone as long as they don't make mess to take anything from my bins. If people in a multicultural area of london are making racial slurs, is it any wonder that nick farrago has done so well in the rest of England.

I can't give a reason as to why my neighbour thought it would be ok to leave the items in the bin. What I do know is this :

The girls had been previously and had been told not to go through the bins or else the police would be called. They chose to ignore this and came back and took items belonging to my neighbours late sister who had died suddenly from a massive stroke. Therefore this is theft.

The bin was hidden but because they knew where to look they went straight to it....premeditated theft.

A description is relevant and helpful to warn others and to see if they have been spotted anywhere else doing the same thing which it seems they have

I was only trying to warn other residents.

I can't understand why people throw away useable stuff when it should be recycled or donated to charity. There would then be no reason for people to go through the bins -UNLESS they are up to the old identity theft rubbish again and that began in the last 15 years when our doors were flung wide open to anyone who wanted to exploit us.

nashoi Wrote:

> This has long been an acute problem in the

> Wimbledon Common area. Suspects were described as

> very short and at least one of them Bulgarian

> looking.

Haha :)

The thing is that not everything left on a forecourt or drive way is rubbish, I used to leave my motocycle cover behind the bins when I went to go out, someones pinched it. They would have had to come on to my driveway to get to it (the binmen have never touched it and only take the bins to empty). So no, it's not acceptable to rumaage through peoples bins, property, on privet property unless invited - I think thats obvious.

Well the harm is that they are making the decision for you as to what wanted or not, thats my choice, on my property! I don't want people going through bins and I haven't invited anyone to come through the gate and take my bike cover coz hey think it's rubbish (or just pinched it) So, yes, thats the harm in going through my bins. Frankly if I saw them I'd tell them to F off.

I dont think so Lady D., we would take anything of any value to the charity shop, or even offer it on this forum but it's just accepting that strangers are OK to rifle through our bins that I'm not OK about(I'm sure Im not alone here)

Despite my motorbike cover vanishing from my own front yard I dont want to think that ID theft or anythng else we've chucked out is being riffled through, sorry but it's not the favela here, if I saw someone going through my bins I would definatley tell them to P--- Off. (loudly)and I'd be perfectly entitled to do so.

I believe it is more sinister than just rifling through rubbish. A neighbour saw two women with shopping trollies pick letters - documents - and think they are looking for anything that could be 'identity'. Make sure you never throw paper with your name, address and any kind of bill or letter heading that could possible be used for identity theft.

The point is not about the rubbish, it's about somebody opening your gate, coming onto your property without permission and rifling through your front garden - which is as much your own space as your toilet.

There's a difference when somebody puts something out on the street, or if your bins are on the street due to no front gardens/flats - then yes, open season.

But all these virtuous dolts trying to appear green are missing the bigger point - about normalising strangers poking around your front garden with implicit permission, and what that can lead to...

We take unwanted clothes to charity shops, clothes banks etc and sometimes leave stuff on the pavement next to our bins (for no more than a day) with a note saying that it can be taken by anybody who wants it.

However, even though we don't want landfill to be stocked with discarded items and feel that it is better that they go to those who would make use of and/or are in need of them, I would probably find it quite unsettling to see strangers rifling through my rubbish, regardless of motives and where the bins are placed (I don't agree that it is 'open season' if your bins are on the street). It does, of course, take it to another level if people are coming on to private property to do it.

Posters who claim to be happy for people to look through their rubbish are failing to provide home addresses... Surely it's a meaningless statement without this information? Perhaps those who are willing to have their rubbish looted should make this clear with a sticker on their bin?

In any event, hopefully this thread will encourage more people to donate their unwanted stuff to charity or perhaps leave it in a separate, clearly-marked box for any takers.

I can't believe this post. What is wrong with you. You should have some sympathy. What else was going to happen to contents of the bin anyway? You really need to get a life and perhaps start thinking about the way other people have to live.

janicemuir Wrote:

> I can't believe this post. What is wrong with you.

> You should have some sympathy. What else was going

> to happen to contents of the bin anyway? You

> really need to get a life and perhaps start

> thinking about the way other people have to live.

Which post? I clearly said - 'hopefully this thread will encourage more people to donate their unwanted stuff to charity or perhaps leave it in a separate, clearly-marked box for any takers'.

I'm sure these girls would prefer if the potential clothing was placed for them to take without having to look through dirty bins.

I don't want people looking through my rubbish but I do want people who need clothing etc to have the ability to take it if it's clearly no longer wanted by the owner, which is why a lot of people do leave out boxes with a little note to say that the contents can be taken.

I have sympathy with those in need, but I also don't want to encourage the normalisation of people rooting through other people's bins, especially when they intrude on private property. Who knows the real motives for these - or others' - people's rooting? Perhaps they are amazingly entrepreneurial, green-minded-but-badly-shod to boot, or maybe they are ground-agents for an ID-theft operation. Nobody can know unless they ask them, and they might not be willing to tell the truth if it is the latter.

janicemuir Wrote:

> I can't believe this post. What is wrong with you.

> You should have some sympathy. What else was going

> to happen to contents of the bin anyway? You

> really need to get a life and perhaps start

> thinking about the way other people have to live.

I don?t think ED Love comes across as unsympathetic Janicemuir, quite the opposite in fact. The contents of a bin by definition is rubbish and the point has already made that anything of value would be taken to a charity shop or left out clearly for anyone to take (although I think the charity shop is better qualified to distribute clothing etc.). I agree with those who don?t want people rifling through their rubbish on their property and besides the point about identity theft, I actually think it?s also an invasion of my family?s privacy. The way other people have to live does not extend to pilfering rubbish, as i said earlier - this is not the favela.