nunhead village vs east dulwich

Bambuni have got a bar night tomorrow, and an incredible seleciton of beers. I go most weeks and they still always seem to have new ones in.

No one has mentioned Ayres cronuts yet. Mmmm, cronuts.

(Telegraph is more Telegraph/New Cross Gate than Nunhead. But still v good.)

• 2 weeks later...

so rahrahrah you say that quote "ED residents would be happy to say Nunhead is better if it makes them feel good"

thats very nice of you not at all patronising. still no one has said which one is better lets have a vote.

ed nv

east dulwich nunhead village, how you going to vote ???

I'm torn. Nunhead still has that traditional Peckham community spirit it's always had for many many years, something that gentrification doesn't appear to have damaged just yet. It also has the best independent bakers for miles around IMO, alongside a fishmonger, greengrocer and various other good quality independent shops. The historic cemetery and telegraph hill conservation area are both on the doorstep and Peckham Rye is a short walk, so no shortage of green space either. It's also still relatively affordable, compared to ED or PR areas which are now ridiculously overpriced. However, despite all the positives, I've always been a sucker for Dulwich Village and the park, and ED is closer to all that loveliness, uniquely green and rural for inner London. We will also be getting a cinema (an expensive one at that, but that's for another thread), and the feeling is that overall ED has (I'm at pains to say this) contributed to the improvements in surrounding areas such as Peckham and Nunhead. I think as long as the two areas keep their own personalities and do not merge into an SW postcode style of generic blandness, they will both have their charms.

Louisa.

I just wish the Telegraph had some couches and more comfortable chairs, but it is a great pub, and definitely over the border in Lewisham. The new Montague arms is fantastic, almost as good as the old. So very thankful it didn't get turned into flats! I actually quite like the Hollydale Tavern too,but I think that's just me.

Even though they're in different boroughs Telegraph Hill and Nunhead are basically the same neighborhood. If anything East Dulwich feels much further removed being on the other side of the park.

Louisa, Rudd's is still there as are the staff, they just changed the name due to the brother or sister cant remember taking it over, all still the same there though.... Its interesting to read the comments,my family and I have lived in Nunhead since 1935, when it was pretty much the same as it is now, of course the town houses were full of posh people and had servants etc.... the interesting thing is that East Dulwich was a place that you wouldn't have frequented in my younger days as it wasn't anywhere near what it is today, thankfully things have changed for the better. Peckham, especially Rye Lane, was the place to be, Department stores, independent traders, large chain stores and great market stalls, it was known as the golden mile, people would come from out side to shop as it was a great alternative to the West End. Things have changed and move and now we have more access to food from around the world at a great price. When I first heard of Peckham Village, I laughed my socks off, it was Bellenden Road!! A street you would not have walked down at night on your own, now its a fantastic place.

There are plenty of pubs, gastro pubs, take away's and fantastic independent traders offering better quality products, for the same price as the super markets.

The old pub /pizza bar will be come a coffee shop/wine bar and then a pub with food in the back, so you will have a choice and it will have more appeal to different families. There are rumours that it will have some B&B space up stairs, but that's just a rumour...

Im glad to say that as a family that has been born and bred in Nunhead and Peckham, I'm happy to live here and see great things happening.... oh and the village once was as this area used to be Kent in the olden days!!!

Have a great weekend...

I don't see the point of this thread. East Dulwich is well established and much bigger than my beloved Nunhead and I like it for different reasons.

I love living i SE15 because I have access to the vibrant and diverse communities that make up ED, eckham and Nunhead - also Brockley, New Cross, Honor Oak Park and Forest Hill. Lets just celebrate and support our local businesses and organisations wherever they are and stop trying to point score.

if you think its stupid {edcam}WHY ?? put posts on this Thread

only you know ??? and {Otta} read some of the post ITS not real ITS FUN.

do you get it now, i think {Otta & edcam}are Dullish. thats what east dulwich people are called, nunhead people are called,

ANY ONE KNOW ????

something else to think about. lets have some nice FUN AND NOT STUPID {thats for the members that think is not FUN or STUPID you know who you are} and give the nunheaders a NAME,