What is East Dulwich reading today?

TillieTrotter

>>Anyone ever read anything by Peter Tinniswood>>

Yes! Years ago I read the whole canon - cannot recall all the anmes but I think the first was called "The Book of Daniel" or something; another was "I didn't kmow you cared". The whole lot was made into a TV series featuring "Uncle Mort" and all the other larger-than-life characters. The humour could be espeically especiually appreciated if you grew up/spent a lot of time in South Yorkshire (I believe the late Mr Tinniwood was originally a journalist on either the Sheffield Morning Telegraph or Star". He also wrote some rather droll stories with a cricketing flavour...

Have just finished The Steep Approach to Garbadale, the latest by Iain Banks. Saw some reviews (after having read it) that slated it somewhat. And yes, there were a couple of clunky scenes, but I did enjoy it overall.

Since I discovered EDF, nothing else comes close. Stuff Proust and his stinky madeleines. Give me Snorky's life-affirming positivity and Huguenot's stripped-back, rustic anti-Baroqueness anytime. Nero

>>Just started reading Clockwork Orange but couldn't understand the Anglo-Russian so put it down after 1st page<<

A pompous pseud writes:-

You are not supposed to understand the language right away - but if you persevere you pick up the meanings the same way any other mew language is picked up. When the film was released in 1973(?) Penguin pubished a paperback edition with a language glossary at the back you could refer to, and Anthony Burgess was apparently deeply irritated by this! Getting to grips with the lingo is all part of the sublime cultural experience that washes over one when one surrenders to the literary smorgasbrod Burgess so wittily lays before us etc etc...

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Since I discovered EDF, nothing else comes close.

> Stuff Proust and his stinky madeleines. Give me

> Snorky's life-affirming positivity and Huguenot's

> stripped-back, rustic anti-Baroqueness anytime.

> Nero

In all seriousness, this forum has cut my reading right down!!! I used to read on the journey too and from work, but now I find myself on the web&walk catching up with the forum! Bloody sad!!!! :-S

Have just been out to purchase a copy of "How Very Interesting, Peter Cook's Universe And All That Surrounds It." Bloody long title I know but the late great Peter Cook is one of my heroes and this should keep me highly amused for the next week or so.

I'm getting through the entire series of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency and am currently in the middle of 'In the Company of Cheerful Ladies'. The books only take a day or so to get through but are really good commuting reading.

I got all of the books dirt cheap on good ole amazon with the marketplace traders.

• 1 month later...
Having taken on board suggestions from this forum I have just read "We need to talk about Kevin". Horrific and brilliant book! Now reading PD James' "The Children of Men" (not seen the film though), and looking over my wife's shoulder at Harry Potter VII... Might avoid reading it on the train though, in case *Bob* turns his Uzi on me.

I managed to pick up a copy of 'Kevin' in a swap at the EDF drinks in June but my mrs snaffled it from under my nose. I might get to it once i've finished History of Love - I know you recommended it earlier on this thread Capt so I trust it's good - i've enjoyed the initial pages.

citizen