Loud bang - thunder?

esme

Lightning can absolutely still blow-out electrical appliances - if it hits any associated power cables causing a surge - although I don't think these can protect against lightning surges you can buy anti-surge plugs and sockets which are well worth while using for sensitive computer equipment - which can be damaged by far lower power surges than are in lightning strikes.

But unplugging after a very close strike is probably unnecessary - if you've survived that then the chances are that the storm will already have passed over you. You need to unplug at the first hearing of distant thunder.

standswithfist Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> there was a flash of lightening then the bang. i

> ran around crazed shouting switch the TV off! My

> daughter said why mummy and i said because the

> lightening can come down via the tv.

>

> is that the case still or does noone switch

> lights/tvs off? or am i just a child of the 80s???

xxxxxx

First thing I did after I'd recovered from the shock (no pun intended) was to switch off my laptop for the same reason, so you're not the only one!!

pinecone Wrote:

> xxx's not required -- can see the > quote symbols

xxxxxxx

Thanks so much for your very intelligent contribution to this thread.

I will continue to post in whatever format I like :))

Meanwhile, do feel free to continue to be patronising :))

One of my cats suddenly sat bolt upright as I was on the phone to my friend. This was just before 9pm last night.

Seconds later there was a flash of lightening across the sky in the direction of the World War 1 light in London.

Started to count to 10 but the loud bang had already happened by that time.

I am not particularly recommending the item in the link below, though I do have 2 (and I have no relationship with the company other than as a customer) but this sort of item:-

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/masterplug-surge-protected-6-plug-power-block-with-dual-usb-white-p38675.htm?referer=N_650697426&utm_campaign=13th+Aug+Masterplug+Surge+Protected+6+Plug+Power+Block+with+Dual+USB+-+White&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=Mobile+Fun

may give some peace of mind for connecting vulnerable electronic devices, including charging them (i.e. phones/ e-readers etc.) in case of power surge risk.

Well we are glengarry road,i was by back windows sorting laundry whole shy flashed white with lighting straight away biggest clap thunder seemed be extremely close.

Cat jumped and hid,weird thing was only the one massive flash one thud thunder.

Can not see damage though.

It's part of hurricane UK experience the end of.

This article may explain the sudden Lightning and Thunder clap..

I was walking down Ulverscroft Road about 5 Mins before the tremendous Crash .

There was a distant but loud rumble of Thunder. The sky to the south was very dark.

It looked like there was a big storm coming.

On Lordship Lane I was speaking to a friend about looking like we were in for a big storm.

Then with the storm clouds still some way off there was the tremendous flash and crash.

Bolt from the Blue

A bolt from the blue (sometimes called 'anvil lightning' or 'anvil-to-ground' lightning) is a name given to a cloud- to-ground lightning discharge that strikes far away from its parent thunderstorm.

A 'bolt from the blue' typically originates in the highest regions of a cumulonimbus cloud, traveling horizontally a good distance away from the thunderstorm before making a vertical descent to earth.

Due to the final strike point being a significant distance from the storm (sometimes up to ten miles away), these lightning events can occur at locations with clear 'blue' skies overhead - hence the name.

While many 'bolts from the blue' are positive flashes, some are not.

Related article.. http://stormhighway.com/types.php

Foxy

I spent many of my formative years in Henekys - I've got some very fond memories of the pub, and met Mr G there too.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I remember Henekies Pub Bromley 1974 ish.

> Really mad place. Angels starting their bikes up

> in the back bar.

>

> Buying my Quid Deal of good old Afghani Black :)

>

> Foxy

I am another early-mid-70's Henekey's regular. It was the only thing that made growing up in the crushingly dull suburban surroundings of Bromley bearable.

I don't remember any Angels revving up their bikes but someone told me (but I was young and liked to believe such things) that Bromley was the drop off point for drugs coming up from the coast, hence the availability of the Afghan Black that Foxy refers to. I do remember that it was favourite spot for the police to raid on a regular basis.

I disagree it's not all middle class, a lot of inner London have moved there post war especially to places like Orpington, and what's wrong with chain stores? It means you've got somewhere to go shopping! Characterless? Home to downe house and Charles Darwin, HG Wells some beautiful countryside and parks, old churches I don't get where everyone gets these ideas from.

Louisa.

Is there an EDF thread in existence that doesn't somewhere include a discussion about whether someone or somewhere is "middle class" or "working class".

Title of thread: "Loud bang - thunder?" What I want to know is whether it was a loud bang that affected middle class people more than working class people or vice versa.

In general the middle classes are far more affected by loud noises, having sensitive hearing which can be readliy disturbed at the drop of a pin (or the distant sounds of dogs barking) - the working classes hearing has been deafened by the sounds of looms and heavy machinery in their (squalid) places of work. Additionally, of course, the middle classes can afford all the expensive, and sensitive, computing etc. equipment which can be disrupted by power surges, the working classes making do with darts boards and dominoes sets which are less effected by lightning strikes (unless directly on them, of course).

Class plays a huge part in "first world problems" (to quote another thread). People who grew up in the wealthy Home Counties coming from comfortable backgrounds move to London expecting all the amenities of the city without any of the negative sides. Noise is part of city life, dogs barking, sirens blazing, people shouting. Unfortunately, middle class ears are just too sensitive to this. It's the 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells..' mentality. These people love to make a big deal out something, and it pains me to say this, someone of a lower class order would not even bother about.

Louisa.