Loud bang - thunder?

esme

It's round the corner from me and I've just been to have a gawp.

The road is closed off.

Two fire engines and a load of firefighters are still there.

The occupants were in at the time, but nobody was hurt, thank goodness.

Pic attached.

I'm in Silvester rd! heard the huge bang and saw the lightening strike as I was chatting on the phone to my mum and staring vacantly out the window (we were about an hour and 45 mins in), now my broadband router and modem are fried, won't even power up anymore...I'm having to post this tethered to my mobile.

niall Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Went down a chimney and blew some brickwork out

> the back of the house apparently. Nothing major.

I am sure if it happened to your house it would be considered rather major.

I was thinking exactly the same! The words 'blew ...out the back of the house' & 'nothing major' don't seem to go together somehow! I'm a few houses down & can still hear loudspeakers, so I assume there are some kind of ongoing issues?...

Glad no-one was hurt.

Don't think this can be what I heard at the very top of lordship lane. Two very loud explosions like professional fireworks but no fireworks to be seen. Definitely not thunder although that was almighty here and 2 huge cracks that looked like they hit Crystal Palace tower.

Hubby and me, casually walking down LL and the loudest thundercrack imaginable. Hubby ducked. Not sure if that usually works but on this occasion we were unscathed.

Yes, and bricks blown out of the back of your house doesn't sound like much fun.

GinaG3 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't think this can be what I heard at the very

> top of lordship lane. Two very loud explosions

> like professional fireworks but no fireworks to be

> seen. Definitely not thunder although that was

> almighty here and 2 huge cracks that looked like

> they hit Crystal Palace tower.

I heard them too. They weren't long after

I was falling asleep putting my daughter down-sat bolt upright it was so loud through the triple glazing in her room. She was absolutely terrified poor tot. Was waiting for the rain that didn't come. It really was weird. Hope those people that were in the house are ok-must have been beyond frightening for them...

I was on Lordship Lane at the time talking to a friend at the bus stop outside Jaflong.

We were talking about a storm coming.

There was a Blinding flash. Max 1 second delay then a tremendous crash that scared the s**t out of me.

Other people around us look very alarmed when it happened.

Being outside it was so loud.

Foxy

Shortly after the big bang (lightning strike)- no more than 20 minutes - for some reason a couple of loud fireworks were set off around Underhill/ Wood Vale (I heard the 'whoosh' as well as the bang). This may have confused those close enough to hear the bangs but not the other firework noises.