Door knocking scammers again on St Aidan's?

I find not answering the door helps.

I was once scammed by a boy who took out his eyeball. I can't even remember what the story was now, but when an 11 year old is holding out his eyeball on the palm of his hand, unless you're made of stone you quickly hand over the dosh (think it was only about ?1 he was asking for).

He then got me again in a different location about a year or so later with the same story, I told him I remembered him but admired his chutzpah so palmed over the cash again. Then I read about (I think) Jon Ronson being scammed by the same boy.

I like to think that life dealt him lemons but he's making his lemonade. I also think I may have told this story before.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find not answering the door helps.

>

> I was once scammed by a boy who took out his

> eyeball. I can't even remember what the story was

> now, but when an 11 year old is holding out his

> eyeball on the palm of his hand, unless you're

> made of stone you quickly hand over the dosh

> (think it was only about ?1 he was asking for).

>

> He then got me again in a different location about

> a year or so later with the same story, I told him

> I remembered him but admired his chutzpah so

> palmed over the cash again. Then I read about (I

> think) Jon Ronson being scammed by the same boy.

>

>

> I like to think that life dealt him lemons but

> he's making his lemonade. I also think I may have

> told this story before.

so what was the actual scam, id pay a pound to see somebody take their eyeball out.

I can't remember the sob story - it was something along the lines of mum in peril, bus fare home. The eyeball was incidental really and had nothing to do with the story - I think he just did it to freak people into giving him the money.

Certainly worked with me (particularly as the sum asked for was pretty paltry).

Jeremy - thanks for the update about staple-neck man - I'll be sure to cross the road if I see anyone resembling him. Rosie - the eyeball thing sounds gross, but as Jimbob points out, there are people that pay money to see that sort of thing.

really, you mean it wasn't real?

man, do I feel stoopid - taken for a ride or what - that pound was not merited, I was robbed!

eater81, any chance you work for a university researching "does headbanging give you a headache" or "men with tiny penises drive flash cars"?

>>eater81, any chance you work for a university researching "does headbanging give you a headache" or "men with tiny penises drive flash cars"?<<

Sadly, I think what you meant to say was that "men who drive flash cars have tiny penises" B)

No worries eater81, sorry was only kidding you. But am not good with the smilie faces (I say not good, but really I mean I hate using them) so hopefully that came across and I didn't offend you.

Do think the glass eye thing though is a work of genius - tell the story, beg for a pound, then hold your eye out towards the scammee - who can resist!

Oh and thanks Moos for the vote of funny. I try, I try