New Italian cafe on Grove Vale

Mustard

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Food of course is essential but it is more than

> just that. Most cultures recognise there is real

> pleasure in eating (you get a kick of dopamine)

> but beyond that most cultures have set up social

> rituals around 'breaking bread'. Eating is social

> and pleasurable. You describe it like I'd

> describe flossing or cleaning my ears...

Leave me out of it. I never kick people when they are enjoying food.

This coffee shop makes me happy. I have a conversation with the Italian owner every morning when I get a coffee and she's sweet. It's so much nicer than the chain shops; at La Scala they genuinely value each customer. It's Birchall tea that they serve which I hadn't had before. Hope they do well.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, yes, almond horse shoes from Blackbird, love them too.

However, just a quick word on La Scala. They are lovely people running it, the coffee is great, and, they don't take the mickey when it comes to pricing. I recently checked out Cafe G (lovely space, great coffee) and they get their croissants and pastries from the same North London bakery as La Scala. Can't remember the exact difference but think Cafe G charge around a quid more for the almond croissant, for example. Make of it what you will, just thought I'd let you know.

Such a sweeping generalisation makes you sound like both a coffee snob and a squazzmonkle. I've had shit coffee in Australia, I've had shit coffee in the UK. Find a cafe run by a Kiwi in London and you might get a good coffee here too.

Australianmumdad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't want to drown out the parade, but the coffee

> over here in the UK is sub par compared to

> Australia. Gee I sound like a coffee snob

I have my Aussie SIL (from Melbourne) staying with me at the moment. Every morning she goes down to Boulangerie jade and has a coffee there. Her take on the situation is that London has improved massively over the last few years (coffee wise), and some places are great and others are not. One odd thing she has mentioned though, is that frequently she has to send coffee back in Melbourne because it's a bit lukewarm.

Just want to sing the praises of the new coffee place on Grove Vale. The coffee and cakes are delicious, lots of lovely lunch options and really friendly staff. Much nicer than the rival chain across the road! Their croissants and pan au chocolats are yummy too.