Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

Presumably M&B as the previous tenant of the pub made a planning request to DE, rather than there being any other bidders or proposals for the site or any choice for DE to make.

But yes, they could have perhaps had a tender process, although that might have depended upon the existing M&B lease if they had one.

In general though I'd be interested to know the cost of a lease of a retail unit in the Village as compared to a similar one in Lordship Lane. Its often quoted as the reason why the Village only has chains, as only they can afford the lease costs, but it might be that the Village is just a bit sh1t, sleepy, elderly, lack of footfall, lack of life, atmosphere etc - I mean I suspect most of the locals come to the Palmerston, Franklins, Yama Momo or even Le Chardon when they want to have a good meal and leave the M&B food to Dulwich Park visitors and hangers on.

Briliant M&B taking over, a proper Birmingham brewery with Brew IX and mild. That will be a shock to the gentrified masses.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kpwilliams/images/brewxi.gif

And even better

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/85/10/3851096_01116fc7.jpg

Actually I thought it was generally OK the Dog, and don't understand if a place is doing well why they have to change things

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Briliant M&B taking over, a proper Birmingham

> brewery with Brew IX and mild. That will be a

> shock to the gentrified masses.

What, they'll be shocked that the same people that have had the pub for years (along with The Alleyns Head, and The Plough in Dulwich) still have the pub?

Yeah, shocking man.

malumbu Wrote:

> Briliant M&B taking over, a proper Birmingham

> brewery with Brew IX and mild. That will be a

> shock to the gentrified masses.

Alas they're no longer a brewery - they're just a pubco these days. Brew XI ("for the men of the Midlands")is now brewed by Brains, who themselves are owned by Coors. I remember serving in a pub in Brum in the early 80s and a very p*ssed punter moaned: "Two men have ruined my marriage." I asked, "Who?" He replied, "Mitchell and Butler..."

Yep sadly I knew all of this, but thanks for commenting.

The Cape brewery went years ago and their Wolverhampton Springfield brewery stuggled on independently until it burned down.

Brew XI was pretty awful stuff and smelled of puke. But it was real puke!

Now Bathams, there is a different kettle of fish. And Bonks'

malumbu Wrote:

> Yep sadly I knew all of this, but thanks for

> commenting.

>

> The Cape brewery went years ago and their

> Wolverhampton Springfield brewery stuggled on

> independently until it burned down.

>

> Brew XI was pretty awful stuff and smelled of

> puke. But it was real puke!

>

> Now Bathams, there is a different kettle of fish.

> And Bonks'

A serious beer question Malumble

Where on the map does the 'beer pump with the foamy making head' thing stop

Watford or higher, it's always facinated me

?

• 5 months later...

You think that you have problems?

I've been waiting 20 years to be served at the Moore Park Hotel https://whatpub.com/pubs/SEL/11210/moore-park-hotel-forest-hill - just found out that is no longer serves alcohol

A few years ago I thought that I'd try the Dulwich Woodhouse. I pushed the front door, knocked at it, but it wouldn't be opened. There were people in there laughing and staring but no b would let me in (assume that it must be a bunch of freemasons).

In desparation I have gone to the Grove Tavern. Some nice outdoor seating but most unwelcoming and you have to bring your own booze.

So the Dog is in good company.