Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

It could be any one of the attached, perhaps including a Toby Carvery? But it seems all of them have some sort of eatery attached - or is it going to be Vintage Inn or a Miller and Carter steakhouse? I wonder if that's already decided - but in any case not a trendy independent - if ED has qualms about the occasional chain creeping in then look at poor old DV. I suspect most of the DV peeps go to Franklins or Le Chardon anyway.

https://www.innkeeperslodge.com/foodanddrink/

I'm trying to imagine what the board/committee of Dulwich estates look like, and trying to imagine where they live.

Here you go:

http://www.dulwichestate.co.uk/about/the-trustees

Three accountants, two banker types, two surveyors, a lawyer. I'm sure a bit of judicious googling and you could work out who the others are. If you look at the websites of the various schools there are pictures of the governors, who make up about half of the Estate Trustees.

As a very sweeping generalisation the typical profile is much more smooth finance guy with big house in Dulwich Village than crusty old fart from Tunbridge Wells.

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It feels like the suburbs are creeping in

Creeping in? To me Dulwich Village has always felt like a horrid dead place.

And the dog was always shite.

The food certainly has always been shite as long as I can remember and the service ditto - i didn't mind a pint in the alcove bars on a wednesday night in winter or a Boxing Day pint. But never a big fan either Otta.

I'd go as far as to say that Dulwich Village is even more dull than Tunbridge Wells! It's a picturesque spot, but boring. And a bland budget hotel is now going to be the only place you can get a pint. Proximity to ED and Herne Hill are it's main redeeming features... how times have changed...

Jeremy I still think the village has more redeeming features than ED. yes it has plenty of bland chains (including a soon to be opening Sainsburys Local), but it also has a unique rural feel, matched only by a few other places in London. It has a indepedent art gallery, and some unique examples of architecture eg pond cottages. ED used to have character, but now it's pretty bland in my eyes. Most pubs are pretty dead and characterless, and the punters even more so. I don't think the village has to worry too much about its crown being taken from it yet. Anyway, I'd rather stay in my garden with a nice cold beer/wine and put the world to rights!

Louisa.

I was being a little flippant Louisa... of course it will remain a highly desirable area thanks to the grand properties and village-like aesthetic. But it's not for me - and especially now the pub's gone, I've no reason to go there (I'm sure the gallery is lovely, but it's not really my scene).

DaveR Wrote:

> I'm trying to imagine what the board/committee of

> Dulwich estates look like, and trying to imagine

> where they live.

>

> Here you go:

>

> http://www.dulwichestate.co.uk/about/the-trustees

>

> Three accountants, two banker types, two

> surveyors, a lawyer. I'm sure a bit of judicious

> googling and you could work out who the others

> are. If you look at the websites of the various

> schools there are pictures of the governors, who

> make up about half of the Estate Trustees.

>

> As a very sweeping generalisation the typical

> profile is much more smooth finance guy with big

> house in Dulwich Village than crusty old fart from

> Tunbridge Wells.

It was a deliberate side swipe DaveR

Against hope it was a 'grey man committee from T Wells'

I just don't understand why a 'smooth finance guy' would sh*t on their own doorstep

Maybe to control his wife's spending whilst he toiled away over another spreadsheet

Either way, it shows how bean counters and lawyers should be held to account on the outcome of their limited imaginations

It's a nice village, why not put something very nice there too?

What about the idea that a cool pub would be a much louder and more raucous place than a middle-of-the-road chain hotel with attached restaurant?

ETA: As a reason why the Dulwich Estate might prefer one over the other.

miga Wrote:

> What about the idea that a cool pub would be a

> much louder and more raucous place than a

> middle-of-the-road chain hotel with attached

> restaurant?

>

> ETA: As a reason why the Dulwich Estate might

> prefer one over the other.

I'm not saying a 'cool pub'

Just something very nice, instead of very bland. It's a historic and beautiful village, not the arse end of the suburbs

It's tragic that the estate trustees are such killjoys, design by committee at its worse

Shame on them really

It makes Gail's look exciting

And while we are at it, who's idea was the f*cking stupid street art shop. That place need nukeing

"Either way, it shows how bean counters and lawyers should be held to account on the outcome of their limited imaginations

It's a nice village, why not put something very nice there too"

I'm with you, 100%. Unfortunately, in my experience big firm lawyers and accountants are perfectly happy with their limited imaginations, hence the huge number of identical shiny black Audi estates in the Village (or a Porsche Cayenne if you consider yourself a bit more 'thrusting'), and the continued existence of Boden.

Dulwich Village is useful if you want to persuade cosseted first-time visitors that you live at least 'near to' - if not actually 'in' - Trumpton.

Before you take them back to the bit where all the robbers and murderers live.