Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

Ooh free pint at The Prince Regent though :) (only joking but they do look happier than the last time I visited).

I think it might be OK to start a new venture and having the energy and vibe - but it takes more than that to keep it going year in year out.

I looked up Malumbu's link to Tripadvisor recommendations for his favourite pub The Blythe Hill Tavern and wondered whether he'd been talking to any Lithuanians in there, only 'GabrieleSky' has written "It is unfortunate that this pub is not located in the city center, but on the other hand when you come here you find mainly locals which gives you a glimpse to a simple britons life after work."

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d5122911-Reviews-Blythe_Hill_Tavern-London_England.html

Blythe never runs out of beer like the Ivy. I'll leave it there as a little joke. Some of the criticism of the Ivy on this site was out of order. Not sure if the Dog runs out of beer or whether the staff are any good, I will have to pop in some day but can't be motivated to make a special visit.

Once reviewed a pub (fairly) and sent it to someone that I thought was the chair of a community group, that had invited me to the opening. To find that it was actually the manager (same first name as the gent who I had thought it was). He thanked me for my honesty. I'd been constructive. Thank heavens.

I have to agree with malumbu on this.

The Ivy House is very good but The Blyth Hill Tavern is outstanding. One of the best pubs in London.

As for the Crown and Greyhound... nothing has changed. Should be great but appallingly managed.

reds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As for the Crown and Greyhound... nothing has

> changed. Should be great but appallingly managed.

The Dog has become the Theresa May of pubs it seems - I haven't visited for a year.

Such a sad state of affairs such a long closure with eagerly awaited reopening.

we loved that pub went back when it reopened encountered same as everyone else, terrible service, poor drinks choice, etc etc, you've heard it all here so I won't go into boring details.

decided to try it again a few months later after management assured that the problems were being addressed and staff retrained etc etc.

it was still terrible-no ice for a G&T (overpriced too) no lemon rude barstaff, chaotic service etc etc

the last time we went back was probably September on a sunday evening.

uncleared tables, a long wait for service, drinks had run out etc etc same old.

It isn't rocket science plenty of pubs are run perfectly well in much less attractive buildings, perfectly good food gets served out of small kitchens that have'nt had the benefit of expensive new equipment.

So why oh why can't the new owners able to get it right after all the disasterous reviews and broken promises of sorting things out.

I wonder if they want the place to fail so they can redevelop it as residential accommodation why else would this have continued to go downhill from day one?

All you need is a good manager to get on top of staff issues and ordering issues to make it improve.

this for some reason seems to have proved an impossible ask.

Half Moon - Fullers, which give the managers and chefs a lot of support and training. Plus the manager of the Half Moon is generally really good at his job

Crown - Mitchell and Butler, famous for giving staff very little support and generally treating them like crap.

That?s basically why one is much better then the other. Plus Fullers use much better suppliers and actually care about customer experiences, as opposed to M+B who only care about the bottom line.

I wondered if the issue with them finding good staff at the C and G is down to it being a bit out of the way compared to the many more convenient options for bar / pub workers in Herne Hill or East Dulwich. Are the other restaurants in Dulwich Village generally busy in the evenings?

JoeLeg Wrote:

> Half Moon - Fullers, which give the managers and

> chefs a lot of support and training. Plus the

> manager of the Half Moon is generally really good

> at his job

>

> Crown - Mitchell and Butler, famous for giving

> staff very little support and generally treating

> them like crap.

>

> That?s basically why one is much better then the

> other. Plus Fullers use much better suppliers and

> actually care about customer experiences, as

> opposed to M+B who only care about the bottom

> line.

Absolutely spot on.

Paid my first visit to The Half Moon last night. 21.00 ish.

Very quiet . about 8-10 people in. Was a cold damp Monday evening.

Had a pint of Dark Star Hophead.

Bit pricey at ?4.50 for 3.8% Ale but was well kept and served at the right temperature.

I had forgotten how Huge the place is. No open fire but place was warm due to large radiators

strategically placed oround the bar/s

Staff seemed pleasant enough and I got served as soon as I walked in.

I liked the overall feel of the place. Will pay another visit when more busy.

Perhaps try out the restaurant at the back. They stop selling food at 21.30 which is a little bit early ?

DulwichFox.

bob Wrote:

> What time is last orders.

> Bob S

11 in the week, 12 F&S, 10.30 Sun. Agree with Fox, beer well kept, good staff, nice atmosphere, wish it was a bit closer. Price highish but no different to what we've sadly become accustomed around here.

The Commercial (although resembling a wind tunnel at times) is run by the same company as the Dog, has exactly the same beers but is a much nicer pub than the Dog. The Dog got off to a bad start and never seems to recover from it. I don't think that anyone in the company really cares because of their monopoly position in Dulwich Village and effective captive market. It's been my local for over 40 years and this is definitely the worst incarnation I've known, and there have been a few.