DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We have all survived without this place for a

> couple of years.

> They have re-launched and its appalling. Why

> should anyone be concerned.

> Just give the place a wide berth and continue

> drinking elsewhere.

I know you don't venture very far, Fox, but it's a nice place to have a drink if you have been walking in the park or are otherwise up in that direction.

We missed it when it was closed.

Shan't be eating there though :))

Have been a couple of times since relaunch. My comments are the same as many others here: very poor service, badly trained staff - just a poorly run pub

My attempt to give some feedback (which defiantly wasn't a rant) on twitter wasn't greeted with the usual "thanks for feedback, sorry about poor experience we're working on it" that id expect - they simply blocked my twitter account.

This is the thing that really worries me. If that's their response to some criticism and reading comments here and on tripadvisor about the managements lack of accommodating any negative feedback. That greatly worries me as that is a mindset and nothing to do with "bedding in" or teething problems

It trades ok because it is the only option in it's immediate catchment. It's a nice old building with heritage, a decent place to sit outside and it's hard to screw up a pint. So we live with it's shortcomings whilst moaning about what it could be if M&B gave a $hit. They're a big group and you'd have thought they'd have a premium type sub group for properties in prime locations with an affluent-ish local demographic. But no...its all Bernie Inn Keepers lodge carvery, pre-packaged food and a low cost, poorly trained staffing policy.

If we all sit back and moan without confronting the issue it won't improve. Contact M&B head office and share your concerns if this pub is trying to brush over the poor quality service. No one should have to accept badly run businesses, you are handing over your money to these people for a service.

Louisa.

This! A million times this.

Louisa Wrote:

> If we all sit back and moan without confronting

> the issue it won't improve. Contact M&B head

> office and share your concerns if this pub is

> trying to brush over the poor quality service. No

> one should have to accept badly run businesses,

> you are handing over your money to these people

> for a service.

>

> Louisa.

Speaking as someone who has been a regular at the Dog for over 40 years and watched the service get poorer with each passing year I couldn't agree more with Louisa's post. Don't accept poor service, poor food and drink. Complain, complain complain and vote with your feet and go elsewhere. It is the only way it will get better.

I'd also suggest making a complaint to Dulwich Estates too. They have a lot to answer for. Perhaps when M&B's contract next comes up for renewal they might just hand it to someone else. The Dog has all the potential for it to be an award winning destination pub if it is in the right hands. These days I prefer to take my custom elsewhere. I cannot abide poor service. There is no excuse for it if you're running a business.

Jah Lush Wrote:

--------------------------------------------

> The Dog has all the potential for it to be an

> award winning destination pub if it is in the

> right hands.

Yep.

How did these people get the contract, does anyone know?

Just the signs outside are terrible, let alone the food. The signs don't fit in with the Village feel at all. In my opinion.

Service and management issues could be improved if the right people were employed, but the signs and food seem to be inevitable if it's part of a down-market chain (is it?).

At least they didn't do a total makeover of the interior. It's still got a bit of soul left.

If I were the Guardianista of Dulwich Village, I'd go into my garage, and get to work covering over the old "Not in my name" and "Vote Corbyn" signs and reinvent them as "Decent Pub Standards for Decent People", get outside the pub and picket until its sorted.

It's more important than world peace.

>

> Yep.

>

> How did these people get the contract, does anyone

> know?

>

I have no idea how M+B got this; I'm amazed the Dulwich Estate went for them. I can't imagine bribery, it's not like they need the money, and all I can think is that the estate chose them because they're easy to work with or something?

I'm astonished that it's M+B, but then again the villag tends to get very bland and inoffensive chains opening up there, so maybe that's how the Estate wants it.

> Just the signs outside are terrible, let alone the

> food. The signs don't fit in with the Village feel

> at all. In my opinion.

>

> Service and management issues could be improved if

> the right people were employed, but the signs and

> food seem to be inevitable if it's part of a

> down-market chain (is it?).

M+B are shocking, just shocking, in the level of general crapness they'll accept in their own places.

Filled in survey shared with them how rubbish it really was.

heres hoping notice was taken.

I actually don't blame the staff.

I blame management.

training in any role is key.

these guys behind bar were obviously very young and inexperienced and out of their depth.

told to just put money in till with no training in service or about the drinks on offer.

I had heard some time ago that the guy from the Plough, Gallagher, had got the managers job. I think he's from Donegal (?) and I cant imagine he'll allow poor service to continue. Good and quick bar services is always expected in Ireland. Having heard these reviews I'm wondering if he took the job or not?

There was an interview with him back in April...

http://dulwichonview.org.uk/2017/04/07/its-the-dogs-life/

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I had heard some time ago that the guy from the

> Plough, Gallagher, had got the managers job. I

> think he's from Donegal (?) and I cant imagine

> he'll allow poor service to continue. Good and

> quick bar services is always expected in Ireland.

> Having heard these reviews I'm wondering if he

> took the job or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I?m Greg, the area manager for M&B. My job basically relies on me being able to provide a pub that people want to visit, and one that feels like part of the community. As such, I?ve read every one of your comments on here and taken note of the issues you?ve mentioned. I know in some ways we may seem far from where you?d like us to be, but I?m personally going to work with the team to make sure that we get it right; the food, the service, and the quality of the overall experience are our focuses.

One thing I?ve already addressed is how the team deals with criticism. @Dadof4, I?m sorry that you were blocked on Twitter, you?ve been unblocked and I?ve talked the team through their responsibilities.

Over the next days, weeks and months you?ll see us improve. I?ll tick off the issues on my list and you?ll get the Dulwich pub you want to enjoy.

Thank you @Louisa for suggesting that https://tellus.thecrownandgreyhound.co.uk/ is the best place to leave your feedback. This way the concerns will be viewed daily and addressed by the management team weekly.

I?ll come back next week and let you know the progress we?ve made. It?s great that you care about the pub ? that?s half the battle ? and we won?t let you down in making sure that care is rewarded.

Greg

Hi Greg. Will you be stocking M&B Brew IX and Highgate Mild?

Did you know that the Moody Blues (most famous for Nights in White Satin - but did much more than that) were originally called the M&Bs after said Mitchell and Butlers Brewery,

I expect you and most people don't know what I am talking about, but a bit of history the 1989 Beer Orders that were suppoed to improve our pubs contributed to many pubs being shut. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beer_Orders It wasn't all due to loss of trade but also running down some pubs as they were worth more as real estate rather than serving the community.

Not sure where M&B fits into the great scheme of things in terms of good or the dreadful pub chains. You'd have to be pretty bad to fall to the standards of the former Youngs Estate.

Pop into the Blythe or Ivy one night and hopefully you'll get a good idea of how a pub can still serve the community. Best if I reserve judgement for the moment.

malumbu Wrote:

-----------------------------------------

>

> Pop into the Blythe or Ivy one night and hopefully

> you'll get a good idea of how a pub can still

> serve the community.

Do you mean The Ivy House?

I think The Ivy is something else completely :)