Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

• 2 months later...

Oh dear... :-/

"A bit of a rant about the newly opened Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich village I'm afraid!

Eagerly awaited the opening and was willing it to be good but sadly disappointed after a late Sunday lunch today. Such a great space / refrurb but they need the staff to back it up. If I had to put my finger on the one thing that made this disappointing it wasn't the lack of choice - only beef or lamb left. No starters. First and second wine choice sold out. Had to move tables three times after being told different things re reserved tables and then one minute kitchen had to close as couldn't cope and then next it opened. I could live with all of this as it's only week one but The one thing that bothered me was that not a single person working there cares. Not one bit. Young kids most unable to serve and clearly never waited a table before. A few of these new staff learning is fine but the entire place can't be left to these young guys and girls who floated around and looked confused when asked for e.g. Menu / a small glass / cutlery/ one scoop of vanilla ice-cream for a toddler -all of these requests where met with total bewilderment. When I politely said the beef was stringy, no eye contact as I paid and a mumbled sorry about that. Deputy manager also doesn't seem to care whether people happy or not! Willing it to get better as it's nice to have the pub back in the village."

"We had an incident with a very rude staff member last Saturday. I actually had to email to complain afterwards (wasn't possible at the time for various reasons) I've not received a response, so sadly this resonates with me. It's my local pub so I am really disappointed all round about it. I hear the half moon in Herne Hill has had much better reviews..."

We went to have a drink there on Friday evening.

Had a look at the menu, which included:

Fish and chips ?14.25

Burger ?14.50

Sausage and mash ?14.00

We saw all these meals going past. They looked terrible.

I had one of the very worst meals I've ever had in my life at the pre-refurbished Dog, but at least it wasn't this expensive!

Also, so far as I can see, you would have to go all through the pub to get to the hotel reception, which seems a very odd layout.

Anyway, the drinks were OK (albeit nearly a tenner for two pints, but sadly that seems to be par for the course round here these days) and the place doesn't seem to have changed much, in the front bar anyway, which is good.

ETA: I've just had a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Went to both the Half Moon and here for the first time on Saturday. I would say the half moon had a better selection of beer but was quite pricey. This place had loads of taps off, but as it's just opened I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because it's hard judging how much to get in. I'd rather see them run out than never have a tap off due to selling it quickly. Couldn't say anything about the food as we just had a couple pints, but to me that doesn't matter anyway.

A broader question. Why do I expect that both the Half Moon and Dog will not be an improvement? Am I just a grumpy old man? I'm not overly fond of Fullers, but was not impressed by the HM's quality of beers. Do I have a bias before I go in? Is this a reaction to me not liking the whole gastroisation/boutique hotel stuff or what I see as attracting 'shallow' clinetele or is it just that discerning punters don't bring the money in? Am I just being pompous?! (don't answer that one)

Had lunch in a Fullers pub in Harrow, and the food was just as I expected. It really wasn't worth making a fuss.

I don't dislike all Fullers places, and recognise that their Pie and alehouses in central London can deservedly charge a premium.

On the opposite I used to be snooty about Wetherspoons, but now think that I can get 3 pints for a fiver, and have say a 70% success rate and that is fine. Similarly I don't expect anything from their food so can't be dissappointed. Sam Smiths, lovely lovely boozers but not the finest ale (but so cheap) but even there I am coming around to their beer and bought a meal in the Rising Sun in Smithfields for well under a tenner and was astonished how good it was coming across as home made and properly cooked.

My usual view on pub food, no matter how up market is, is go to a restaurant if you want good food.

Sorry to go off track but am I being objective??

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> ETA: I've just had a look at the reviews on

> TripAdvisor.

>

> Oh dear, oh dear.

The comments are not so bad... it's a bit of a mix/balance. Some love it. Some don't. Looks to me those that have really negative comments on Tripadvisor were already of a such mindset before going, as in didn't have particularly high expectations in the first place.

Give the place a chance. If it is being run by a completely new team it will take time to settle down and understand the local clientele.

It's a shame the food reports are not positive. I do hope this is being passed on to management instead of being b itched about.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2397787-Reviews-The_Crown_and_Greyhound-London_England.html

I agree the reviews are mixed, but the bad ones are very bad.

Obviously only the 2017 reviews are now relevant.

ETA: I don't think it's having high expectations to expect that you will get the food you ordered within a reasonable time.

Nor to expect that the manager will be helpful if there are problems.

Went a few weeks ago and would echo Tarafitness, the staff were useless! Most young (college age)with zero common sense or experience. I appreciate everyone starts somewhere but how dozy this lot were was shocking. 20 minutes and 2 reminders to come and wipe a dirty table and when you do, bring a bone dry paper towel to do so? Should have done it myself. This wasn't a one off, lots of confused looks. Poor customer service, will go elsewhere with a bit of enthusiasm

I know someone working there and word amongst all of the staff is it's being badly managed already. You'd think the executive at M&B would care enough about their brand and be smart on this long awaited flagship site. But no. I fear it's just another "unit shifter" on the Excel spreadsheet.....

I agree, nothing has changed. Try getting a cold glass of white wine (without ice in it). Also, the beer is the usual mass produced factory grimness of a big brewer appearing to be a 'craft' brewer. In the HM they actually have, albeit on keg, two of our local microbreweries, I think Canopy & the London Beer Company last time I was there. Why not in the Dog?

Wimpole Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the HM is a mile better for beer selection

> and food. Not all Fullers kitchens are the same.

The Dog isn't a Fullers pub, is it?

I thought it was M&B, or is that just the hotel part?

The sign they've got outside now is hideous. Well, two signs. One replacing the old pub sign (which still is around, but inside the pub) and the other a generic "Innkeeper's Lodge" sign.

Does anybody know what the middle part of the new pub sign is supposed to be? There's a recognisable crown, and a dog - plus three splodges ......

As I mentioned somewhere on another thread.

We went a week or so ago-had been looking forward to the reopening because I love the interior of the pub and the large outside space in the summer.

The staff were AWFUL!!! as previously mentioned young,clueless,bewildered all stood around behind the bar looking shellshocked and not actually serving.

G&T ordered no lime lemon cucumber OR ice offered-it was served like a G&T on a train (not the orient express I hasten to add) No clue about what Gins were available (I had to ask and wait while the staff member asked another staff member who then bumbled around some more).

Warm Rose wine-just appalling.

Its not cheap to drink in pubs these days so it needs to be a nice experience in order to bother to return.

Didn't eat but glanced at the menu.

uninspiring dated not seasonal and far below the average 'gastropub' more like Wetherspoons or Motorway services Harvester with inflated prices.

Unlike some I had previously had some lovely sunday lunches it this pub in the past.

I have no desire to even try the food here.

I wish management would read this thread and respond-accept its far below par

train their staff

change their menu

rethink pricing

and hire a decent chef

but somehow I doubt that will happen

Sadly