Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

Speaking of which...I was in Rocca again last night. It's bland-done-well. The food is only a tad above average (if that) but it has a decent buzz, is always busy and has super friendly staff which makes all the difference.

Plenty locals now having a cheeky beer outside at Cafe Rouge now too in the dog's absence.

I really hope they don't suck the soul from the Dog, clad it all in pastel painted tongue and groove and dish up generic M&B slop. But it's looking that way isn't it?

Sadly ALL refurbs by committee seem to go this way

Actually, i'm going to use the Allyen's Head as my 'pulse' or 'base line' of anticipation

By doing this i'm sure to avoid anything other than 'being there, present in the moment'

Maybe this way I can reboot my anticipation level to 'Dulwich Vanilla' on my Joy-O-Meter

Obviously i'll have to avoid Peckham or anywhere equally as spicy, else I blow a valve

I just hope they don't take down the beautiful ceilings in the main bar areas. The place had little atmosphere before any refurb, and the service was crap too. It relied on location as much as anything. Although I love the idea of this pub, it never quite lives upto expectations. Taking visitors there always starts with great anticipation and people commenting on how lovely it looks and what a great location etc but then after standing at the bar for a good 15 minutes before being served you realise it's not all that. Great shame. Needs to be more innovative. And for Christ sakes get some experienced bar staff who know their stuff.

Louisa.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To be fair, the Dog has never really had that much soul IMO.

Dunno. I always thought that it was one of the few pubs in the area that seemed to have a sort of authenticity.. an historic building pleasingly untouched by bland makeovers or cheap novelties. Yes the service was slow and the food was just plain bad, but it had a certain "pubiness" about it which I very much liked.

I've been going in there since I was 15. It used to be great. It was my local for many years and first port of call. The atmosphere was ruined when they took the booths out in the small end bar in the 80s and got rid of all the decent bar staff. Also they cut down on the bar staff and it was then that the waiting to be served for ages started and I looked elsewhere for a regular slurp and started to venture more into East Dulwich. It is still a nice place to sit out front when the sun is out and to watch the world go by though but I fear it will be become more stuffy once it turns into a hotel and whilst it is owned by M&B the food will always be crap.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > To be fair, the Dog has never really had that

> much soul IMO.

>

> Dunno. I always thought that it was one of the few

> pubs in the area that seemed to have a sort of

> authenticity.. an historic building pleasingly

> untouched by bland makeovers or cheap novelties.

> Yes the service was slow and the food was just

> plain bad, but it had a certain "pubiness" about

> it which I very much liked.

I know what you mean, and it is a lovely building. But I just never felt comfortable (in a literal sense) sitting in there. I've had some lovely times in there over the years, but something about it just never appealed to me.

Remember my sister working there (92/93) and it was always heaving back then (she used to serve the 15 year old me) and loads of the older Dulwich College boys amnd JAGS girls used to go there on a Friday night.

MrBen Wrote:

> Slow progress I'm hearing...plasterers that were

> scheduled to be in back in November are only just

> starting work now. It was an old property with

> little maintenance done over the past half century

> so wouldn't surprise me if it overruns by 6 months

> or so....the village is not quite the same without

> it is it?

Thinking of moving back to ED then MrB. We are still missing you.

Otta Wrote:

> Remember my sister working there (92/93) and it

> was always heaving back then (she used to serve

> the 15 year old me) and loads of the older Dulwich

> College boys amnd JAGS girls used to go there on a

> Friday night.

I have been in there in the past on a Friday night with a teacher from one of the schools and he was spotted by a number of his pupils who obviously being under drinking age looked a little embarrassed - he also felt slightly awkward I think.

• 1 month later...
From what I've heard it could be as late as late summer 2016 but I wouldn't want to get your hopes up. And still The Grove Tavern and The Half Moon remain firmly closed too. Crap isn't it. Pull your finger out Dulwich Estates and get the other two back up and running.

• 2 months later...

The way things are going we'll be lucky if The Dog will be open in time for New Year 2017. I was also unaware that Mitchell & Butler will still be in charge of the day to day running of the pub. That will mean the food will still be crap. Meanwhile, The Half Moon is still firmly closed as Dulwich Estates plans are to also turn the upstairs into an hotel which goes against the grain of what most people want for it to remain as a music entertainment venue.

Sadly, the Grove Tavern looks like is will never open its doors again as a pub. Absolute shambles.

M&B food is awful in my experience, and looking at the plans it looks like a hotel with additional restaurant/bar area as opposed to remaining a drinking hole first and foremost. What with Sainsbury setting up shop opposite, it looks like the village is about to be totally destroyed. What a sham.

Louisa.

It remains to be seen what the end result will be so we should probably wait before making judgment? That said, M&B's existing pub/accommodation brand Inn keepers lodge, has that whiff about it: https://www.innkeeperslodge.com/

This is a great site in a fantastic location and I can't help wondering why the DE hasn't chosen a quality operator to do it justice. The village has character but the commercial leasing policy veers towards the bland and risk averse. A real shame.