midivydale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course Sue, tou are right. Although i must

> admit it did without a doubt put me off. We know

> the area the driver was based (well where his van

> was from at least. The van was branded so a quick

> google gave us a good idea (and made reporting the

> police alot easier).

Really glad you reported him to the police.

This is completely off topic (sorry admin) but it's quite funny in a sort of way.

I campaigned with Hope Not Hate in the Barking and Dagenham election in 2010, and I have a bright red tee shirt which says on the front "Hope 51, BNP 0" (referring to the number of seats they didn't win).

I wore it last Autumn and thought I was getting some very strange looks. When I got home, I realised that all the text apart from the "BNP" - in very large letters - was obscured by a jacket I was wearing :))

To all those who saw it in Lordship Lane and North Cross Road - SORRY!!! :))

I have to say I was quite worried when I lived by the Coast of how I would be received by the locals but luckily everyone was very nice but I think that was probably helped by the fact that the area did have a mixture of people during holiday season but I was always quite aware that I'm the odd one out .

My brother works all over the UK and has had racist comments made to him whilst out and about in certain areas within the UK.

My nieces live on the border of Surrey/Sussex and they have had remarks made to them regarding their skin colour .

The make up of an area would definitely influence where I would live since I have a child .

We are a mixed family (half Caribbean ).

We are a mixed / interracial family as well and the existing diversity of an area 100% influences where we choose to live.

With that said, no where is free of racism. Even here in Dulwich we've had someone scream at us they don't want our kind here as we were walking along ED road. One incident in 10 years though isn't bad at all. Like Jeremy said, I wouldn't let a single incident entirely shape your view of a place.

The more common form of prejudice we encounter is the general assumption that all people of color need help, are severely disadvantaged / are a problem for society. Its either scornful or pitying but either way shows a not entirely pleasant mindset. We've experienced this first hand (people making all kinds of idiotic assumptions) but its patently obvious in the Family room in the forum. The subtext of a lot of the school discussions is quite clear to see.

Anyhow, it isn't malicious, just ignorant and I think its getting better. I'm sympathetic as most of it comes from fear of the unknown.

Sue Wrote:

> I campaigned with Hope Not Hate in the Barking and

> Dagenham election in 2010, and I have a bright red

> tee shirt which says on the front "Hope 51, BNP 0"

> (referring to the number of seats they didn't

> win).

Sorry to remain off topic, but good for you Sue. And just last week the BNP were deregistered as a political party. And it could be argued that their demise all started when Nick Griffin was invited to appear on Question Time. Sometimes you really do need to hand these muppets a nice length of rope then just stand back and watch them hang themselves.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> London, as a cool place to live and hang out is dying on it's arse.

Central London, certainly. It seems to be mainly for tourists, day-trippers from the home counties, and the after work crowd. Much of the cool stuff is way out of the centre. Loads of the music venues have disappeared. West end clubs tend to be embarrassing.

Generally I find that when one door closes another door opens but lately too many doors have been closing. I was up in Soho a couple of weeks ago and I hadn't been for about six months and I was genuinely shocked at what's happening up there. Whole buildings gone. Disappeared for ever. Complete vandalism.

DaveR Wrote:

> That article is crap:

>

> "It was normal to leave university and get a flat

> with your mates in Marylebone or Maida Vale or

> Primrose Hill or Notting Hill."

>

> In the 1990s? I don't think so.

My brother rented a flat with friends on Ladbroke Grove in the 90s. The rent was dirt cheap and he lived there on and off for a decade. Now of course that would be impossible.

I had a Little Venice 1 bed flat for 2 years for ?25 a month, between 98 and 2000. It was ace! Bills inclusive an all!

Moved out of there to a free place in Primrose Hill.

These bargains however no longer exist!

Personally I'd move to Manchester, which is definitely still cool. (apart from the fact that it is full of Mancs!)

brother in law in Forest Hill says his place has almost doubled in 6 years. Walthamstow is unaffordable, Tooting's long gone, Peckham is full of BoBos, Kilburn is too pricey..all the fallback places for people needing a bit more space are out of reach for those earning less than what? ?150k?

Clearly I am not an economist though. Much has been made in the press the last few days of the prime central London market drastically cooling. Can someone much more intelligent than me (London mix?) pls explain how this could affect the rest of london's property prices? If at all?

What is a "BoBo"?

Kilburn is more expensive than ED... has always been the way. Particularly the Brondesbury end.

Walthamstow is still a bit cheaper than round here... you should be able to get a 3 bed house for around 500K if you're not too bothered about "period charm" (I appreciate this is still a lot of money, but for two people earning average London wage, with a flat to sell, sounds doable).

Haha- I have no idea. Central London has underperformed the rest of London for a while now so this isn't a brand new phenomenon. Outer London has still been growing very strongly but at some point one wonders where those on medium incomes will be able to buy.

poppet27 Wrote:

> brother in law in Forest Hill says his place has

> almost doubled in 6 years. Walthamstow is

> unaffordable, Tooting's long gone, Peckham is full

> of BoBos, Kilburn is too pricey..all the fallback

> places for people needing a bit more space are out

> of reach for those earning less than what? ?150k?

>

>

> Clearly I am not an economist though. Much has

> been made in the press the last few days of the

> prime central London market drastically cooling.

> Can someone much more intelligent than me (London

> mix?) pls explain how this could affect the rest

> of london's property prices? If at all?

Why not go right out into Kent? We did almost 3 years ago, having lived in East Dulwich for 51 years, the last 43 in the same house in Silvester Road. Bought that in 1970 and sold in 2013, at a BIG profit. Now living only 40 miles from there, just off the M20 Motorway, in a village between Ashford & Maidstone. The local station goes direct to Victoria Station. Having a great time spending the Equity, and just come back from Cuba over Xmas/New Year, our 12th holiday since we moved here.

Yes, I am one of those who still pops onto the E.D. Forum now and again to see what's going on, and love reading all the stuff on here.

I was in ED, Silvester Rd, for 15 years, sold in January 2015 and moved to Beckenham. Now living in a big semi detached 3 bed home with beautiful 155ft garden. Was really unsure about leaving ED but have really enjoyed my first year in Becks. It has loads of lovely parks, three close to me and one right opposite with 8 new tennis courts, I basically garden and play tennis when I'm not working now. I just find it more relaxed here, more space and no mortgage after the move. Stations go into London Bridge, Charring Cross and Victoria. We have Waitroes, Sainsbury's and M&S food hall as well. Bromley is 10 mins by car and has really great shopping including Apple store and we have the best swimming pool in the country apparently and an Odeon cinema. Haven't really thought much about ED since moving.

NickT Wrote:

> Haven't really

> thought much about ED since moving.

Except when you revisit the forum :)

Beckenham is lovely. I have friends there. Good schools and nice green spaces and its quite friendly.

It is just a longer commute and the area has a distinctly more suburban feel which is fine if that what you are ready for.

Yeah I did miss the forum....so I started beckenhamforum.com which I'm launching soon.

It is more suburban than ED for sure and I would say that it's less sophisticated but its also a lot less middle class snobby. I think my enjoyment of ED declined over the 15 years I lived there as it became more and more gentrified.

In the last year I was in ED I always had the feeling I couldn't afford to live there, just paying more than I needed to for every meal out, drink in a bar or grocery shop.

I'm sure Beckenham will change soon as well, there are already signs of it....especially with wankers like me moving in, putting white picket fences up and painting the front door with Farrow and Ball...writings on the wall ;-)

Ah Beckenham. IUsed to be the place saaf Londoners went when they had a few quid and wanted to feel like they've made it whilst looking down their noses at the people living in the places they had grown up in. Sure it's improving, but there are too many of those types still there for my liking.