Where to go after East Dulwich?

ednewmy

South Norwood looks like good value - not great at the moment but will likely most improve. There were also rumours of crossrail arriving in 2017 or 2018 then again they were just rumours.

Fast and frequent trains into London Bridge and good stock of victorian housing. The place could be soon on the up given Westfield arriving etc...

Thoughts?

Vancouver...if you can afford the house prices by selling London. East Van is the new Peckham Rye kidz or...

Calgary...house prices down by 10% due to the oil collapse and so good buying opportunity. $800k CAD (about ?450k) will get you a large detached 4-5 bed of 2800 sq ft plus several acres of land in a good suburb there.

Bovine Juice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The new timetable starts from after the August

> bank holiday weekend, so basically September.

> It's table 195 of the complete timetable here:

> http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3828.aspx and

> yes, that means more trains for West Dulwich and

> Sydenham Hill too. Not sure why Southeastern are

> finally doing it now when they are due to lose the

> franchise to TFL in 2018 but it's welcome news for

> us Pengites.

I can't work this out, could you summarise? Are we getting more trains?

• 2 weeks later...
I think it is safe to say that Sydenham and Penge are definitely on the up and are great options for anybody looking to move from ED. You certainly get more for your money and transport connections are great, as is the varied and attractive Victorian housing stock. Penge actually has some incredible listed residential buildings such as Waterman's square and King William IV Gardens, as well as being close to CP Park and having a real village feel in places. Interestingly, there's a real buzz about the place at the moment with new developments popping up and the promise of new/refurbished pubs / bars / cafes / restaurants on the High Street which is also being targeted for significant investment to improve the variety/mix and aesthetics of some of the businesses. IMO Penge is still rough round the edges and needs long term investment but there's no doubt that investment is coming. It's moved and continues to move in the right direction and it's inspiring to see a place that was considered a bit down on its luck being revitalized, rejuvenated and reinvented through a close and spirited local community - move and be part of it!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any thoughts on Thornton Heath? I know it has a reputation of being a bit rough to say the least and gentrification hasn't hit there yet, but I was wondering what it's really like as I don't know the area at all. I don't want to be too judgemental. I see Croydon council is looking to invest a few million into the area. The housing looks quite good but I do want to feel safe and have a decent pub! Any thoughts?

The first sentence is a hit with me, love me some South Indian food. However, I am concerned with the second. I do a lot of travelling and the family live North London and beyond. Is it just bad in rush hour and school runs or generally bad? I currently find leaving ED by road a breeze so this will impact my opinion. Thanks for the reply.

TBH I don't think Thornton Heath is all that bad by road, it's OK for the M23 and M25. Pretty close to Crystal Palace if you're yearning for a spot of gentrification. If you plan to regularly drive to North London, pretty much anywhere in outer south London is going to be a complete pain anyway.

I would concur with above comments regarding travel by road. I went to IKEA at purley way a few weeks back and as a result of Norbury and Thornton Heath traffic jams it took me close on two hours to get back home. These outlying south London neighbourhoods have in many ways, 'had their day'. They feel a bit tired and isolated. I think train links are OK, and obviously housing stock is way cheaper. If you are holding out for some sort of 'gentrification', you may be waiting a long time.

Louisa.

I find Thornton Heath extremely urban - very little greenery, too many cars, pavements and roads in need of TLC and the many houses lacking in character... The train connections are ok both to London Bridge and Victoria(though the the London Bridge works they seem a little disrupted at the moment I think).

Personally I have become quite a fan of Catford since moving there 3 years ago (Corbett Estate). The houses are really quite large, good size gardens, good connections from 3 stations (Catford, Catford Bridge and Hither Green) and a lovely community feel. The presence of the south circular is reflected in the lower prices though...

Louisa Wrote:

> I would concur with above comments regarding

> travel by road. I went to IKEA at purley way a few

> weeks back and as a result of Norbury and Thornton

> Heath traffic jams it took me close on two hours

> to get back home.

Google satnav now takes me from ED to the Purley Way mostly via back roads, avoiding main road traffic.

But not sure why you would be going to Ikea via Norbury anyway?

Sue I go to Crystal Palace, Selhurst, Thorton Heath going. Then on the way back I usually go via Norbury as depending on time of day, the other route starts to get busier. I would never recommend traveling back via Norbury/Streatham again. That route is Absolutely horrific.

Louisa.

• 2 weeks later...

Bovine Juice Wrote:

> The Alex is still a couple of months away (we've

> been sayng that for 18 months now).

>

> The train service to Penge is ok, rodneybewes.

> Last train from Vic to Penge East is 00:35 and

> they will be quarter hourly until midnight when

> they change the timetable soon.

Seems like there have been some issues with the Late Knights Brewery - not sure how this will affect the Alex?

I'd prefer South Norwood, think it offers better value and is better connected. Surely it will only be a matter of time before the main road's shops improve, we have friends there and they love the transport links and the fact that a flat is affordable over there

dwe Wrote:

>

> Seems like there have been some issues with the

> Late Knights Brewery - not sure how this will

> affect the Alex?

Yes. LK are no more and their previous pubs have been split between two new companies. A new brewer (Southey Brewing Co) have taken over the Penge site and include the former LK head brewer plus a couple of bars. LK are being rebranded and in theory are still interested in the Alex site, potentially as a basement location for their brewing ops. In reality that could take some time and also as Steve, LK's supremo, does not live in Penge any more, I'd imagine there's questions whether he can be bothered setting up a brewery there that he can't oversee regularly.

As for South Norwood - I agree it looks the pick of the bunch for value. Croydon Council are offering free rents to some businesses to improve the shops and Antic are moving in.