Where to go after East Dulwich?

ednewmy

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

it's a shame

> someone who's born and raised in an area cannot

> stay there purely because of gentrification.

I've never understood why this is supposed to be a good thing - the staying in one tiny postcode for your whole life I mean. Living in new places and meeting new people is enriching and builds more welcoming communities.

Sydenham is nice and well connected. If you affor there, that's what I'd go for. Hither Green should be in budget for you as is Beckenham. Beckenham feels more suburban but has very decent shopping etc (Waitrose), good schools, green space and reasonable transport links. Hither green is also decent and if you are the Lee end is close to the shops in Blackheath.

Thanks all again for the input.

Penge is clearly on the up so feels less of a risk, but prices have already risen a fair bit it seems (though they have everywhere I suppose). Anerley still feels a little "one eyed" as my Dad might say, but with Crystal Palace just down the road it would be an ok bet. As I said back on page 1, I saw how the value of my brother's flat in Anerley go through the roof simply because of the Crystal Palace effect which makes me wish I'd done all this 5/6 years ago. And not really because I want to feel clever and like I've made a good investment, but because I can't help but feel ripped off by prices as they are.

Perhaps with this in mind now's the time to get into South Norwood whilst prices are still (relatively soeaking) low, and the area is still decidedly iffy. I can't get my head around why it still is though but anyway. Decent transport links, reasonable housing stock, attractive enough high street if tidied up a bit. Is there something that has been and will always keep the area down? The football stadium perhaps?

Ho hum!

South Norwood has been mentioned to me as the next place to buy from several property investor types. Whether that's worth it as a place to live depends on how long you plan to stay.

Whilst I have no doubt the "gentrification factor" has a knock-on effect on prices of surrounding burbs, I think there's a considerable lag before that translates into a similarly improved high street, facilities and feel of the place. I used to live in Bethnal Green many moons ago and that's unrecognisable now, but it took at least a decade to change even after the prices started sky-rocketing in Shoreditch.

As for feeling ripped off, I share your feeling (I think I got completely screwed when I bought at the peak of the market in HOP) but you need to outweigh the risk that will happen against the increasing likelihood that you'll be priced out anyway. You'd be lucky to get a good investment in an area you really like as a first buy, so just take the plunge with something you can live with in an area that's not too stabby. I only really regret it when I spend time back in my old neighbourhood and realise how curtain-twitchy the burbs can be.

Mike Dodd Wrote:

> Is That Salsaboy serious or just one of the ED click

Neither... he doesn't even live in (or particularly near) ED if I remember correctly.

What's your story?

Penge = East Dulwich a decade ago. Get in while you can.

Victorian housing stock, changing high street that's not too over gentrified, big parks.

Penge West is on the London Overground making travel to East London or Docklands very simple (basically you are on the tube), plus the train goes into London Bridge. Penge East goes into Victoria and Blackfriars. Basically the travel from there is really easy.

176 bus to Lordship Lane if you miss it, no parking restrictions.

For some reason Norwood has always had the potential to change but hasn't. Don't know why.

(*disclaimer - I live in Penge so am biased. But Time Out this week agrees with me...)

Today's budget is massively restricting the tax relief BTL landlords get on mortgage interest. So the many leveraged BTL landlords out there will now be on a marginal investment....which should in theory release stock back to the homebuyer market over time....

I spend a lot of time in Forest Gate and I would move there. My best friend lives there and it's very up and coming. almost like Dulwich 18 years ago. There are some nice cafes and bars in that area. Hope you find some thing soon!

ExtraLifeShop Wrote:

> Wow, this house, which when I was a child used to

> have its lift thingy and other features of its

> past visible outside went for over a million last

> year

> http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/11-crawthew-grove

> /london/se22-9aa/21179602

>

> I'm eager to sell and move on, but the only area I

> really fancy is Finchley Central which we lived in

> when I first moved out, but it's ???? leaving not

> much/anything in profit.

>

> We also need to do a ton of renovations before

> selling, but have never bought and sold before,

> and guess will need to spend a ton of time on

> moneysaver etc getting advice on what kind of loan

> we'd need to have the work done, rent while it's

> being done and ??? to do between selling and

> buying.

>

> It's a world of stress. My dad bought the place

> for 70k and was his last gift to us. Can't imagine

> how bad it'd be if we would be paying a mortgage

> as well!

A world of stress to be given a house and to renovate it? Just sell it and take down your stress levels. Any incoming purchaser is bound to want to carry out their own work.