Where to go after East Dulwich?

ednewmy

Your budget might get you what you are looking for in Charlton. I have friends who lice there and love it. It's close to your work and Blackheath is very accessible. A second proper double bedroom might be tough but one big enough to rent out to an adult should be feasible!

Penge makes sense to with your family in Beckenham.

Good luck!

NewDad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I recently moved to Sydenham after a number of

> years in ED. Its highly recommended.

>

> Really nice area: plenty of nice parks, a more

> useful high street, friendly locals and better

> transport than ED (faster and more regular commute

> to work, despite being further out).

>

> And still close to good schools in the area.

>

> I don't miss ED at all after moving here. ED is

> very overrated.

What does the highstreet in Sydenham have the East Dulwich doesn't that makes it more useful?

While there are a lot of cafes, gift shops and restaurants here, I think ED actually has an abundance of useful shops.

There are two DYI / general stores (Dulwich DIY and AJ Farmers), supermarkets, a good locksmith, a bathroom store, a carpet store, drycleaners, laundromats, picture framing, butchers, furniture shops, a tyre store, clothing stores, opticians, beauty places, home goods stores, kltchen supplies, etc.

The only thing that's missing is a good Garden Centre but there are ones in Dulwich Village, West Dulwich and Forest Hill that are all very good. Also there aren't any big box retailers either but I'm happy about that.

Or as *bob* once said (or near enough). The proper posting rule on this type of thread:

Where I used to live was once really great/cool/hip etc but is now sh1te (ESPECIALLY IF IT WAS ED)

Where I live now is great/Cool/hip UNLESS I am about to move in which case see above and then ADD where I'm about to move to is great/cool/hip.

He did it much funnier than me though.

Fair enough, though I suspect he's right about transport

Of all the things leveled at ED though, saying the high street isn't useful doesn't ring true. I'm always shocked by how much I can actually pick up here in a pinch!

I've never lived in West London but long ago convinced myself that even if I could afford a house there I wouldn't move as the people who live there are sh!t! Maybe I suffer from the same dillusion as NewDad

The truth is of course somewhere in the middle. We left ED because we could not afford a bigger house and someone was buying ours for the sort of money that meant a family house elsewhere was in range.

Moved to Hayes (BR2).

Pluses - it's lovely, schools are better, it's easier to get out of London from (we go South to see family) and the beautiful countryside is right on our doorstep. We got a 4 bed house for ?60k less than we sold our two bed house for, we don't constantly hear police sirens and no one seems to get broken into on a daily basis (there's no forum to hear about it however)

Minuses - found it hard to meet like minded people, it's tory through and through (???s would love it!), the pubs are even worse than those in ED if that's possible, there is less of a sense of "community" than ED, the parks are not as good (apart from Kelsey Park and that's a ten minute drive).

My test is the lottery test. Would I move back if I won the lottery tomorrow?

My answer is "No, I would not move back" - Equally I would not stay in Hayes! Probably move to West Wickham tbh!

I said:

"Really nice area: plenty of nice parks, a more useful high street, friendly locals and better transport than ED (faster and more regular commute to work, despite being further out). "

I never said ED didnt have a useful high street: I said Sydenham was MORE useful. ED is full of average pubs and restaurants and way too many real estate agents. Sydenham has better value for money on its high street in my opinion; the butcher and fishmonger are cheaper and of equal quality, the fresh bread and coffee are generally nicer and cheaper, and you can get almost anything from the range of shops on the high street (with nicer footpaths).

The transport is way better - thats a fact. The ELL + National rail direct to LB and Victoria (both 15mins or so). Both NR stations are centrally located to the high street. Sadly, the rail stations at ED arent well located for most of the population. We had friends over this weekend from north London, and they found it much easier to get to Sydenham than previously to ED. They were also surprised how nice the area was.

And finally, the houses are generally bigger in Sydenham - and around 30% cheaper per square foot.

No brainer really!

For your budget, I would recommend Penge or Anerly. Although be quick as Penge has an Antic pub opening next month & another gastropub has just been mooted by Penge Tourist Board.

Last year I moved to Beckenham, around the Balgowan cathcment area.

Pluses - real community atmosphere with street parties, can walk to 3 stations, walk to high street with Odeon and great restaurants & independent coffee shops, quick bus to ED, good schools, Kelsey park on doorstep

Minuses - really bad pubs at the moment making Friday and Saturday nights pretty grim. Have been talking to Antic pubs who are actively looking for a site on the high street.

I'm not one to sing the praises of East Dulwich but think we have some good transport links..

12 direct to West End.

176 to Waterloo - West End.

185 to Victoria.

40 to London Bridge and The City

63 to Blackfriars and Kings Cross

185 / 176 to Forest Hill onwards to East Croydon and Gatwick.

Trains

East Dulwich to London Bridge.

Denmark Hill to Blackfriars

Can't possible name all the connections.

DulwichFox

Come to Catford! It's changing every day (for the better). We moved here 4 years ago from Nunhead and haven't looked back (much). There's all sorts going on and lots of lovely people. Transport is fine, we are on the Corbett Estate and it's 15 mins walk from any of the Catford stations and not much further to Hither Green. We love it.

Otta Wrote:

> Sandperson!!!! Hello, glad to hear you're doing

> well. Come back to the football thread, you'll

> find it'sa totally different!

>

> Okay, you won't find it any different, but maybe 4

> years off has readied you for another go.

I might just do that Otta.

Another one for Gipsy Hill! It's lovely ... we moved to the fringes of it from east London a year ago. Not sure how cheap it is, but I expect there are some affordable places if you look around. Stunning views down the hill, and up the hill is Crystal Palace with loads of lovely cafes and shops and great pubs. And the park. Paxton pub at the bottom of the hill, great little place Beer Rebellion halfway up, Brown & Green coffee at Gipsy Hill station. It's quiet, but green and lovely, and you can have all the pubs and fun you want up in CP. Also great transport links from CP on orange overground line. And near to places like West Norwood where there is the Feast and fingers crossed a Picturehouse coming.

I'd love it ratty? I've never voted Tory in my life, I think you confuse the fact that I think that Labour are a bunch of middle class charlatans- representing vested interests - who couldn't run a piss up in a brewery with being a tory. Lib Dem last time and almost certainly no-one next.

Peckham - and the surrounding hype - seems to be on the up still. Been here close to a year and have really enjoyed it...despite being initially trepidatious..Does feel quite central and can have a great vibe - especially with all the bars, restaurants clubs and art etc.Transport links are a revelation.

northlondoner Wrote:

> Peckham - and the surrounding hype - seems to be

> on the up still. Been here close to a year and

> have really enjoyed it...despite being initially

> trepidatious..Does feel quite central and can have

> a great vibe - especially with all the bars,

> restaurants clubs and art etc.Transport links are

> a revelation.

Noooooo! I was with you all the way until the word 'vibe'. I love Peckham but if I think its got a 'vibe' I will be really depressed.