Anywhere to watch the Superbowl? (Lounged)

Natalious13

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been to see the Seahawks & it was

> marginally less dull than watching the Houston

> Oilers ( or whatever they were called ) play

> baseball for about 9 hours without, it seemed, a

> clear winner.

Anyone who has watched the Simpsons on a regular basis knows that baseball is only good fun when viewed through a pair of very thick beer goggles.

Can't find a youtube clip I'm afraid but Homer said it so it must be true.

My only criticism would be how on earth teams, sorry franchises, are allowed to decamp to another part of the States ... and leave their fanbase behind, it's crazy!

Arizona Cardinals were once the St Louis Cardinals and before that the Chicago Cardinals - it's just not right!

But Baseball seems to be the worst offender with the New York Giants now being the San Francisco Giants, and the Brooklyn Dodgers the LA Dodgers!

There would be uproar and probably riots if the likes of Manchester United or Liverpool decamped to say Berlin or Munich.

matthew123 Wrote:

> My only criticism would be how on earth teams,

> sorry franchises, are allowed to decamp to another

> part of the States ... and leave their fanbase

> behind, it's crazy!

>

> Arizona Cardinals were once the St Louis Cardinals

> and before that the Chicago Cardinals - it's just

> not right!

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT!

Its about the "Hard Sell" and selling as much merchandise as possible and Revenue at the expense of their original Fan Base.

Many Clubs could not give a Fan about their "existing" fans and would move if a better commercial opportunity arose.

How would you feel if you supported one of their Teams, in the full knowledge that they might "upsticks" without a backward glance?..No Soul or Heart at all just $$$$$$ and trying to extend the interest for one reason only...to make more $$$$

Lovely.

Applespider Wrote:

What's with all the haters? It's on at 11.30 on a Sunday night so unlikely to be stopping live coverage of anything interesting and not exactly primetime family viewing. It's not being forced down your throat and given that the BBC showed it last year, they must have got sufficient viewers to make it worthwhile them showing it this year.

If you don't like the game, don't watch it and don't buy any merchandise.

Applespider, please don't get me wrong. In general I love most things about The USA, be it the positivity, energy and hospitality of most of its people.:)-D

Its just that the NFL have been trying to project their game to us for nearly 20 years now and ultimately, if they had their way, it would eclipse our National Game.

Its like the "Little" people of Britain saying "No!" we won't get sucked in when we have the finest League in the true World game which is Football.

You may very well not fully realise this if you reside in East Dulwich but go a little further and you will see how so many Brits are very passionate about our National Sport, particularly in Working-Class Areas, where itsa Religion, almost.:)

And FIFA do the same in the US attempting to make the Americans like soccer despite it being considered a game that kids and girls play over there.

I'm well aware how many Brits are passionate about regular football - probably about as many blue-collar workers in places like Cleveland and Detroit love their NFL games - since I've not lived my entire life in the sheltered environs of ED. I've even been to a few games myself. ;-)

What I don't understand is why there's an antagonism that the NFL are trying to extend their market. I don't think there's an serious expectation that any minority sport will overtake the ruling one (be it football, American football, Aussie rules, rugby in its respective stronghold) but surely there's room for other games to be watched and played across the world. The Brits have been guilty of that in terms of rugby and cricket too.

It is one thing that I don't like about the British fascination with soccer; there ends up being too much coverage of that to the detriment of other sports in the UK. You rarely see other sports mentioned unless there's some international competition but the papers will report what a Premiership player ate for breakfast and consider it news. That doesn't help the grass-roots level of other sports and the UK's sporting future. Say what you like about American sports but they have a wider range of sports for kids to choose to play and watch than we do. Not every kid is designed to gracefully dribble a ball - at least in American football, there's a position for most shapes and sizes!

Some of the little people of Britain might be saying 'No, I'm not interested' but equally, there are some of us who are interested. There will be other little British people saying they don't like soccer, others saying they don't like soap operas, others that don't like ballet, others that don't like cherry tomatoes but no-one's calling for all those things to be put into Room 101 never to be seen again. We just get on and ignore the things in life we don't like and learn to be tolerant of those who like em.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

> Horsebox Wrote: TLS, I still don't get your point

> and I've just noticed a sign next to this thread

> that says "Don't feed the Trolls"...

>

> Absolutely PATHETIC M8!...someone takes issue with

> your choice of Sport, explains several times why

> and they must be a Troll.

>

> Truly Risible.

No need to shout, Sally. You've been all over the place in this thread and your reason for not liking the game seems to change with every post you make, hence, I don't get your point and you come across as doing nothing more than trolling.

Somebody starts a thread asking where they can watch the Superbowl and you wade in spouting 10 types of nonsense about the NFL trying to overtake football and it being forced upon 'the little people of Britain'.

Trolling nonsense.

Applespider Wrote:

> And FIFA do the same in the US attempting to make

> the Americans like soccer despite it being

> considered a game that kids and girls play over

> there.

>

> I'm well aware how many Brits are passionate about

> regular football - probably about as many

> blue-collar workers in places like Cleveland and

> Detroit love their NFL games - since I've not

> lived my entire life in the sheltered environs of

> ED. I've even been to a few games myself. ;-)

>

> What I don't understand is why there's an

> antagonism that the NFL are trying to extend their

> market. I don't think there's an serious

> expectation that any minority sport will overtake

> the ruling one (be it football, American football,

> Aussie rules, rugby in its respective stronghold)

> but surely there's room for other games to be

> watched and played across the world. The Brits

> have been guilty of that in terms of rugby and

> cricket too.

>

> It is one thing that I don't like about the

> British fascination with soccer; there ends up

> being too much coverage of that to the detriment

> of other sports in the UK. You rarely see other

> sports mentioned unless there's some international

> competition but the papers will report what a

> Premiership player ate for breakfast and consider

> it news. That doesn't help the grass-roots level

> of other sports and the UK's sporting future. Say

> what you like about American sports but they have

> a wider range of sports for kids to choose to play

> and watch than we do. Not every kid is designed

> to gracefully dribble a ball - at least in

> American football, there's a position for most

> shapes and sizes!

>

> Some of the little people of Britain might be

> saying 'No, I'm not interested' but equally, there

> are some of us who are interested. There will be

> other little British people saying they don't like

> soccer, others saying they don't like soap operas,

> others that don't like ballet, others that don't

> like cherry tomatoes but no-one's calling for all

> those things to be put into Room 101 never to be

> seen again. We just get on and ignore the things

> in life we don't like and learn to be tolerant of

> those who like em.

Its good to communicate with someone who doesn't say you're "ignorant" or think things are "a little queer" or implies you're a "troll" as one has a differing view.

Maybe others could learn from your postings Applespider.:)

Very good post above I have to say.....I also have to say that if YOU or anyone else calls our Beautiful Game of ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL "Soccer" then I can't be held responsible for my actions(!)(6):))

> Its good to communicate with someone who doesn't

> say you're "ignorant" or think things are "a

> little queer" or implies you're a "troll" as one

> has a differing view.

> Maybe others could learn from your postings

> Applespider.:)

Just saying how I saw it. I still don't get your point, other than you don't seem to want other people to be able to watch or enjoy a sport that isn't soccer.

Quote: "I also have to say that if YOU or anyone else calls our Beautiful Game of ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL "Soccer" then I can't be held responsible for my actions"

Oh noooooooo not that old chestnut. 'Soccer' is a very old term that is, ironically given your capitalisation, derived from 'Association Football'. It dates from the 1880s and was used to distinguish 'Association Football' - now generally known as 'football' - from 'Rugby Football' - now generally known as 'rugby'. (Although not in Hull where Hull FC play rugby and 'City' play football - but I digress).

The Americans who already have a game they call 'football' use the term 'soccer' to distinguish between two sports in the same way we used to. I used to play 'soccer' wearing my 'soccer boots' when I was a lad without any embarrassment. Of course that was before the imperialistic march of FIFA with their officially sanctioned NASL in the 70's and before people who seem to know very little about the history of the game started ridiculing Americans for its use.

Oh and the official name of the Aussie football team is, of course, the 'Socceroos' - the ignorant American bastards.

id like to see the bbc statistics for how many viewers the superbowl had at the beginning and the end of the game, to see how many people were really interested enough to watch long enough to see who won or whether they were just curious to watch to see what it was all about.

dc Wrote:

The Americans who already have a game they call 'football' use the term 'soccer' to distinguish between two sports....

....and yet Europeans who already have a game they call "football" use the correct term when describing The USA sport...

p.s.I note that Betfair (the Main Betting Site) now refer to The Beautiful Game as "football" where, until fairly recently, they referred to it as "soccer" bizarrely, as it is, primarily, a UK Based Site...

Horsebox Wrote:

No need to shout, Sally.

O.K. You have finally dragged me down Worzel...(see I can name-call to! How clever, we both are!"

(Stay on Topic-Please Admin..)

HB: You've been all over the place in this thread and your reason for not liking the game seems to change with every post

> you make, hence, I don't get your point and you come across as doing nothing more than trolling.

I have continued to make "additional" points. I'll now start to empthasise certain salient points as you seem slow to grasp them otherwise...::o

HB: the NFL trying to overtake football and it being forced upon 'the little people of Britain'.

Are you seriously implying that The NFL would not want Worldwide dominance to market their product if they were able to achieve it?

p.s. Back to Snorky's point, allow me to ask:

"Public School" in your case Horsebox?

Tony Tony Tony

please please please for the love of Gaelic Sports, stop on this one. The more you explain yourself the less sense you make. The basic accusation is that you have hijacked a thread stands. You don't have to like the sport but you are posting 2 and 3 messages at a time and just rambling

All sport is increasingly following the money. No-one has a right to get sanctimonious about it. If people like the game of american football and you don't, by all means have a tease but you are increasingly belligerent, incoherent and starting to alienate.

There has been a thread going for aaaages about cricket, something I can't abide, and some good people have kindly offered to take me. I might even take them up on the offer. But I'm not going to spend pages telling people who like cricket off

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Tony Tony Tony

>

> please please please for the love of Gaelic Sports, stop on this one.

Point taken, but I'll think you'll find that most of my recent postings have purely been to react to comments directed towards me or certainly comments I had made.

If people like the game of american football and you don't, by all means have a tease but you are increasingly belligerent, incoherent and starting to alienate.

I take your point Sean, don't know where you got the impression that I don't like the game though:))

> p.s. Back to Snorky's point, allow me to ask:

> "Public School" in your case Horsebox?

Not sure why on earth you'd want to know this, unless you were attempting some sort of idiotic, childish taunt related to my education.

Horsebox Wrote:

Not sure why on earth you'd want to know this, unless you were attempting some sort of idiotic, childish taunt related to my education.

Just that over the Decades I've noticed a kind of Pseudo Trendy "type" that seem to want to follow this debacle.

Just wondered if you fitted my perception of the stereotype, thats all HB:)

So which one? Winchester College, Not Eton surely but maybe you are an Old Harrovian or perhaps attended Rugby, Charterhouse am I warm?

> Just that over the Decades I've noticed a kind of

> Pseudo Trendy "type" that seem to want to follow

> this debacle.

> Just wondered if you fitted my perception of the

> stereotype, thats all HB:)

>

> So which one? Winchester College, Not Eton surely

> but maybe you are an Old Harrovian or perhaps

> attended Rugby, Charterhouse am I warm?

You're nowhere near warm but you are very close to being an absolute tos*er and something of a tremendous bore as well.