Anywhere to watch the Superbowl? (Lounged)

Natalious13

Ooh, let's not turn this nasty; we all have our sporting preferences. I love rugby and American football and can't see any point in football (soccer) or cricket but I wouldn't hijack threads about those to tell people that.

The NFL is a complex game and the more you watch it and learn about tactics etc, the more you appreciate the game and the reason for the playclock between downs and timeouts. If you don't understand much of the game, they do seem inherently pointless. When I watch soccer football, I quite often get bored when I see people kicking the ball around midfield with no real purpose that I can see. Football afficianados could probably lecture me on the tactics, ballskills etc that are actually taking place.

The Euro-league had a lot of issues that didn't help the fan turnout (although the Claymores at the end were getting more than 10k a game which several weekends was the third biggest sporting crowd in Scotland). It was also a lot of fun for the fans who did go and a great way of getting the knowledge to appreciate the game - the players/coaches were accessible and it really did fire my interest more than Sky ever managed.

For Sunday, I fear a Steelers victory (as a Niners' fan, I don't want another team being first to 6 rings) but am rooting for a Cards win. If their O-line can stand up to the Steelers pressure, then I don't think they'll find Warner quite as easy to faze out as they did Flacco. Part of me thinks the Steelers D and Cards O strengths may cancel each other out and the interest may come from which of the less regarded Steelers O and Cards D battlesl to come out on top.

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Touched a nerve did i, tony? Read it again and

> you'll see i said appreciate rather than

> understand the game. Quite different things.

Think it was the "ignorant" comment that I appreciated, particularly as I tried to follow the game as far back as when Baltimore were the "Colts".

I'm an Adrenaline Guy,whether its the thousands of matches(Racquet Sports, mainly) I have played in or watched and its so irritating that its "Stop=Stop=Stop=Start=Stop=Stop=Stop=Stop=Start" ...

It is nice to to see that you are actually taking a leaf from the NFL and inserting more breaks when you post.

Thanks.It was you that wrote:-

"Touched a nerve did i, tony"......as above?

Would you mind awfully if I took my Grammar Lessons from someone else...:))

Applespider Wrote:

> Ooh, let's not turn this nasty; we all have our

> sporting preferences. I love rugby and American

> football and can't see any point in football

> (soccer) or cricket but I wouldn't hijack threads

> about those to tell people that.

>

> The NFL is a complex game and the more you watch

> it and learn about tactics etc, the more you

> appreciate the game and the reason for the

> playclock between downs and timeouts. If you

> don't understand much of the game, they do seem

> inherently pointless. When I watch soccer

> football, I quite often get bored when I see

> people kicking the ball around midfield with no

> real purpose that I can see. Football

> afficianados could probably lecture me on the

> tactics, ballskills etc that are actually taking

> place.

>

> The Euro-league had a lot of issues that didn't

> help the fan turnout (although the Claymores at

> the end were getting more than 10k a game which

> several weekends was the third biggest sporting

> crowd in Scotland). It was also a lot of fun for

> the fans who did go and a great way of getting the

> knowledge to appreciate the game - the

> players/coaches were accessible and it really did

> fire my interest more than Sky ever managed.

>

> For Sunday, I fear a Steelers victory (as a

> Niners' fan, I don't want another team being first

> to 6 rings) but am rooting for a Cards win. If

> their O-line can stand up to the Steelers

> pressure, then I don't think they'll find Warner

> quite as easy to faze out as they did Flacco.

> Part of me thinks the Steelers D and Cards O

> strengths may cancel each other out and the

> interest may come from which of the less regarded

> Steelers O and Cards D battlesl to come out on

> top.

I have to say Good Post Applespider>:D<

Whilst we all know that back and forth arguing on t'internet is much like banging one's head against a brick wall, here i go again. TLS, the reason i mentioned your ignorance is thus: by jumping in here and claiming a 1 hour game would last 6 or so hours, (and doing so for no other reason than for your own amusement), ignorance is exactly what you were displaying. I now realise that you are actually very knowledgable about some things and for reasons known only to you, you were simply playing the clown. Applespider, i'll have to answer your prediction later on, i'm typing on my phone which makes it rather difficult to talk game amongst other things (at least, That's my excuse).

If a player wants to keep a ball (after a great play/plays) or the team/Hall of Fame want it (like the ball Emmitt Smith broke the rushing record with) then the player will generally jog off the field with it and give it to an equipment guy on the sidelines to tag. There are 20 or 30 footballs available for use in an NFL game - some are only for use on kicks though - so the equipment guy will ensure that the tagged ball doesn't end up back in play.

After the game, the coach will sometimes also give a game ball to a player or unit who had a particularly good game so I'm guessing one way or another Fitzgerald will get a game ball!

I seem to recall some discussion though about whether the player had to pay for the ball - I think if they give it a fan post-TD, then they have to pay $$ but whether that's a fine from the No Fun League or a bill for the ball, I can't quite remember.

I pretty much agree with your prediction, Applespider.

Other than a few highlights, I've not seen any Cards games this season so am unable to comment on them as a team (now that C5 has lost the rights to a Sunday game and Monday Night Football (6) I'm thinking a Sky subscription is the way forward for next season) but I can say that Pittsburgh have Troy Polamalu on their D line who, IMHO, is one of the best Defensive players in the league right now, and is pretty much able to shut down any offensive play.

The Steelers D will win them the game.

I have SKY but forked out for NFL Gamepass HD this year. Next year, I might just not bother with SKY and if they're showing a game that I need to see, then I'll go into Bodeans to watch. Gamepass shows all the regular season games live except for whichever 2 are the Sunday night SKY ones (red buton games are still shown)

Well I'm WELL excited and tuned in right now!

There's a load of chat, as per u-s-u-a-l and I'm waiting patiently for the match to start!...We're chatting about "changing mindsets" at the moment...when does the action begin, does anyone know Guys?

Hang on, that was one of their pit stops!

WE'RE OFF AND RUNNING!

No! We are not, we've stopped, already.The're analysing it!

Crowd are roaring something is about to happen!

Stopped again....Another 2 seconds of play as been sneaked in, amongst the fascinating chat...

Crowd getting excited...Player giving a huge smile having gained around 5 feet..

ALLELUIA..My Sky Signal has just gone!

There IS A GOD!

Blast! Its come back!

This is like watching a car crash scene, you KNOW you shouldn't but..I'll leave the enjoyment to the "Judges" as we've stopped again...

dc Wrote:

> Oh do shut up.

I have. I'm absolutely riveted as in the 46 minutes since my initial posting there has been nearly 5 minutes play!

I'm totally absorbed and no time to engage in meaningless chit-chat whilst this Magnum Opus is on.

What a treat!

Problem is M8 some people just don't "get" this game that our American friends are trying to ram down our throats so that they can sell us their merchandise.

I mean look at what someone has just written on a Sports Forum..:X

"Who gives a flying flippetygiblet about a load of lard munchers wrapped up like the Michelin Man throwing an oversized egg in a 4 hour "spectacle" with 60 minutes gameplay?".......

People, eh(6)(6)

I watched the first half, didn't understand half of what happened, but must admit I was getting in to it. Was disappointed to wake up to the result this morning, I wanted the underdogs to win, and it sounds like it was pretty close in the end.

Keef Wrote:

> I watched the first half, didn't understand half

> of what happened, but must admit I was getting in

> to it. Was disappointed to wake up to the result

> this morning, I wanted the underdogs to win, and

> it sounds like it was pretty close in the end.

Keef: DO NOT get sucked into this USA-induced hype!..Be strong and withstand this continuous onslaught to love (and then spend money on) their ruddy, I mean "beloved", game.

I remember when our High Streets were free of McDonalds and Boiger(NY speak) Kings and such like...let them invade Iraq but NOT our National Screens...Think of Normandy/Dunkirk/Isle Of Wight and just say NO!

Keef Wrote:

> I watched the first half, didn't understand half

> of what happened, but must admit I was getting in

> to it. Was disappointed to wake up to the result

> this morning, I wanted the underdogs to win, and

> it sounds like it was pretty close in the end.

Keef, to say it was 'close' doesn't really do it justice!

Glad to hear you enjoyed what you saw. All I can say is 'stick with it' - the more you watch the more you'll eventually get to understand. Unfortunately the season doesn't start again until September (td) so a little patience is required.

Last nights SB completely topped last year's action with the game, once again, going right to the end of the last quarter.

Arizona staged an amazing comeback from being 20-7 down in the 3rd quarter to leading right up until the last few minutes. I was rooting for the Steelers (being a NY Giants fan i couldn't really cheer for a conference rival) but was happy to see the Cards pull it back from 13 points at the half to lead 23 - 16 with 2 mins to go -it made for a bloody exciting game.

I was watching with (amongst others) a couple of 'newbie' friends who only turned up for the chilli dogs and beer - they are now converted fans!

Hut hut etc...>:D<