Grove tavern to reopen. Fact or fiction.

Sherry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think a nice bed and breakfast/ boutique hotel

> pub type business would be of much more use... But

> I imagine the investment needed for that puts the

> idea out of the running... But wouldn't it be

> nice!?

Thats whats happening to the Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich village

Callie Wrote:

> It's a shame if they are going to pull it down.

> Such a grand building & landmark. It would be

> great as a pub restaurant, something like the old

> harvester or weatherspoons.

That's precisely where it fell short on its most recent incarnation. I'd like it how it was in the 60s and 70s with three bars and a great restaurant. A massive garden with an outside bar attached too. Doesn't look like that is going to happen now though, which a shame. RIP The Grove Tavern.

RIP the Grove Tavern indeed. Such a shame the Dulwich Estate are selling this great landmark pub. Also sick to death of every single site in the area being jumped on by local councillors as places to stick schools. I've avoided these topics to date but if I hear one more mention of a bloody school replacing every single brown field site in the area I will run through the streets naked screaming. You don't want to see that, trust me, so please shut the #%$? up about schools replacing valuable historic community assets like the great Grove Tavern.

Louisa.

RIP indeed. Would have been fabulous as a good pub with interesting beers, good food with a BBQ/smoker/pizza oven out the back and rooms above.

All we'll be left with is a disembodied voice on the buses announcing the Grove Tavern stop... until TFL rerecord something generic like 'Dulwich Common'

...of course, if retail opportunities means a Waitrose, I'll obviously retract my RIP and demand they demolish it asap

Louisa,

Yes, of course children need schools, but it is beginning to feel like short term thinking at its worst, especially when you consider that Harris girls is now trying to change its remit so that instead if taking children from the local area it will open its doors to children from all over London and beyond. It does feel like every scrap of land, if not being made into flats or a supermarket, will be earmarked for a school.

Perhaps councillors have a vision for ED, as the school capital of London, replete with cycle routes in every direction and a handy supermarket on every corner.

I got sent a voucher for food from stone gates pubs this week to use I'm the grove! Got very excited for a moment thinking it was a sign that it was re opening but having walked past today- obviously not. Can't believe they are still advertising it when it's been closed for so long.

first mate Wrote:

> Louisa,

> Yes, of course children need schools, but it is

> beginning to feel like short term thinking at its

> worst, especially when you consider that Harris

> girls is now trying to change its remit so that

> instead if taking children from the local area it

> will open its doors to children from all over

> London and beyond. It does feel like every scrap

> of land, if not being made into flats or a

> supermarket, will be earmarked for a school.

It does strike me that councillors are responding too late to the need for primary schools and will be doing the same with regards secondaries in the next couple of years. Why so reactive all the time. Everyone can see the impending secondary school shortage, but we're caught up trying to bolt the proverbial primary door after that horse has bolted.

steveo Wrote:

> The same could be said for pubs, which are closing by the minute.

Depends. Pubs away from the high street are struggling, and I'm not convinced this location could ever really be viable again (unless it was really something special). But in better locations, it's a different story... two new pubs currently under development on Rye Lane...

The location is a two fold problem. It's on the junction of two busy roads which make it almost impossible for people to navigate here at certain hours of the day. Secondly, footfall is very low indeed coupled with the fact residential streets and housing aren't slap bang on the door of this place. If it were turned into a go to destination pub with good food beer selection and possibly hotel too it would stand a fighting chance. Not many people are prepared to that risk it seems.

Louisa.

Jeremy Wrote:

> steveo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The same could be said for pubs, which are

> closing by the minute.

>

> Depends. Pubs away from the high street are

> struggling, and I'm not convinced this location

> could ever really be viable again (unless it was

> really something special). But in better

> locations, it's a different story... two new pubs

> currently under development on Rye Lane...

I know Antic are opening one on Rye Lane but what's the other??

reds Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> -----

> > steveo Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > The same could be said for pubs, which are

> > closing by the minute.

> >

> > Depends. Pubs away from the high street are

> > struggling, and I'm not convinced this location

> > could ever really be viable again (unless it

> was

> > really something special). But in better

> > locations, it's a different story... two new

> pubs

> > currently under development on Rye Lane...

>

>

> I know Antic are opening one on Rye Lane but

> what's the other??

Melon Road, Peckham (the turning almost directly opposite Burger King).

Louisa.

While we have plenty of pubs in the area, we are limited to good beer gardens, the Rye in Peckham being the only one of any note other than the Crown and Greyhound, which is currently closed. This is a huge opportunity and massive shame. Whilst they are doing a boutique hotel at the G & G they could still do a great pub and B&B on this site (similar to the Victoria on Bellenden) and do a roaring trade due to location on the South Circular and proximity to the schools. Oh if only I had the money!