On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

A bit of diving from Arsenal but let us not forget it has been systematic for years at some Clubs particularly Manchester United and to a lesser extent Chelsea. Okay Eduardo has been a bad boy and has now been dealt with by UEFA - we should all applaud UEFA for taking this step and also hope they can sustain this crackdown.

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A bit of diving from Arsenal but let us not forget

> it has been systematic for years at some Clubs

> particularly Manchester United and to a lesser

> extent Chelsea. Okay Eduardo has been a bad boy

> and has now been dealt with by UEFA - we should

> all applaud UEFA for taking this step and also

> hope they can sustain this crackdown.

I agree Matthew, I just hope UEFA are consistent, but I have my doubts. Messi going down in the box at the Camp Nou, or Ladyboy tumbling in the Bernabau. Hmmmmmm

Suprise. You two agree with each other. I think if you asked any football fan in this country which team they thought of when it came to diving the overwhelming answer would be Arsenal. There's a reason that most clubs favorite chant at the Library and the New Expensive Library is "Same old Arsenal, always cheating." :))

As you've brought the subject back up I'll give you another thought. When talking to other football fans after the Eduardo dive the overwhelming response was just how unnecessary it was. It wasn't the dive, players have been diving for decades (obvioulsy mostly United players :)-D), it was the fact that you had brought a two goal lead from the away leg and were the better team over the two legs and your player still felt the need to blatantly cheat to get you a win. That's what saddened me and others about the incident and I think that's why there's been so much fuss about it.

Now it's your turn to talk about Ladyboys and Manure and emotions (?) without actually having a discussion, go on, let's have a tirade of abuse.

I think you're all talking nonsense. It happens at EVERY club!!!!!

Yes there may have been some high profile ones, but isn't it surprising that Atila doesn't think Arsenal are that bad, Matt doesn't think the pool are as bad as Man U, Arsenal, or Chelsea, and Sandperson doesn't see that Man U are particularly bad.

It is a (really really shit) part of the game today, it happens everywhere, so this debate is pointless!

I'd just like to add I don't think Messi should be tarred with the same brush as Ronaldo. I think Messi is an honest player.

I agree Eduardo's dive was unnecessary and in bad taste - I guess he will get a tough time at Wembley next Wednesday night. Unfortunately when it's an England player diving about it seems to be swept under the carpet by the media.

Opposition fans chant lots of things but the cheating thing is born out of pure jealousy as we are usually running rings around the opposition and they then feel the need to kick us up in the air, and shock horror, our players go down after what is usually called an agricultural challenge. Fletchers tackle on Arshavin is a brilliant example of this. Nuff said.

I think most fans associate individual players with diving, rather than clubs, but if you start a row along the lines of "Man U are the worst, no Arsenal, no Liverpool", you're not going to get very far. FWIW, the most extravagant/compulsive diver I've ever seen in the Premiership was Ginola.

Some players are motivated by the Club bringing in new players if they do not perform. Which Chelsea players are now likely to take their foot off the gas because no replacements can be brought in for another 16 months?

Are we about to see likes of Ballack, Drogba and other ageing players ease up as however they perform this season they're almost certain to get those contract extentions?

Of course Chelsea will appeal, and no doubt Peter Kenyon will point the finger across the Premiership which may result in other big clubs being banned..

Chelsea got fined as well. They can still sell players but not buy them. I am wondering if there's scope for a loophole here involving loans?? And how exactly is "tapping up" defined? Does it count for instance if a player's agent is chatted to by another club's director? Or does there have to be real contact between the actual parties?